Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mindwitch

Makeup Primer? Is It Really Good For Acne Prone Skin?

some people say makeup primer is good because it prevents makeup from clogging your pores yet the ingredients in makeup primer also block out oxygen and if u already have bacteria on your face will cause it to be trapped in your face and subsequently clog your pores. so i wonder is it really even worth purchasing a primer? or is just simply sticking with just applying makeup on ones face the best solution?

I find that most primers break me out, even the Bare Minerals primer which is supposed to be good for your skin. I also don't find it makes my makeup look much better than it would otherwise, nor does it make it stay on much longer, nor do any of the tinted ones I've tried really do anything at all... so, not a fan of primers. Using a moisturizer does a better job and is probably better for your skin. Eye shadow primer is a different story, though - it's amazing.

Primers+Makeup= Disaster. If you are even the slightest acne prone stay away from primers. Even people without acne problems may develop breakouts from the use of a primer.

If someone knows different I would love to hear suggestions. I have had no luck with primers....either way. They don't work or they cause breakouts. I am an avid makeup junkie. So, like I said- suggestions would be welcomed. This is one area of makeup I would like to be proved wrong.

Like Gemmy I'm a makeup junkie too, and I agree, primers are bad news for acne. I think just looking at its prime function (prime - see what I did there? haha) to create a smooth base for foundation, its job is to fill pores in order to create that smooth base.

My advice to you is "STEP AWAY FROM THE PRIMER!". grinwink.gif

Wooooah primer hate up in here! Hahaha. I'm acneic and I love primers. They don't break me out and they make my makeup look so much better, especially when I have dry scabs or flakiness. You just have to get a primer with good ingredients for your skin. I like 100% Pure Luminous Primer. Great ingredients and smooth on my face. I can assure you it's better for your skin than straight foundation.

http://www.100percentpure.com/LUMINOUS-PRIMER-VITAMINS-ANTIOXIDANTS-WITH-RESVERATROL-s/49.htm

Wooooah primer hate up in here! Hahaha. I'm acneic and I love primers. They don't break me out and they make my makeup look so much better, especially when I have dry scabs or flakiness. You just have to get a primer with good ingredients for your skin. I like 100% Pure Luminous Primer. Great ingredients and smooth on my face. I can assure you it's better for your skin than straight foundation.

http://www.100percen...RATROL-s/49.htm

Rice Starch: It can cause allergic reactions and, because it is a food derivative, it can support bacterial growth in pores. Rice Starch is listed as one of the ingredients. ?

Silica is a great property and absorbent powder. I would and could see using Silica powder as itself as great in-organic mineral powder for a primer. Have you ever tried that or on your clients that suffer from acne/sensitive/reactive skin?

Thank you for the info. Still not convinced. I would much rather touch up through out the day than suffer through weeks of cosmetic (self-inflicted pain) acne.

Edited by gemmyjunebug

I would just use a good moisturizer as your primer, it's the best thing for acne prone skin before putting foundation on. good luck!

Thanks bek for your comment. I dont hate primer, I LOVE how it makes my foundation look....its just hates me saywhat.gif