Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
N.clare

Retin A 0.025% Log

Im not really sure whats happening, sometimes I dont actually think anything is! I feel like changes really should be happening now (by Friday I would have been using retin a for 2 months.).

Compared to the pictures you posted at the start, can certainly see an improvement in last weeks pictures.

To me at least, the left side is looking really good. Guessing that's generally better than the right side, based on the pictures, but even the right side doesn't look as sore as it did. Reckon there's something to be positive about there. And it isn't worse than before, which is always a bonus. Might as well look on the bright side! :D

I think as long as you're kind to your skin and are patient with it - as difficult as it can be to give things time to work - sure you can beat this.

It can perhaps take a couple of months for things to take control so as long as you're maintaining a consistent regimen, maybe heading into the third month is when you'll really start to notice improvements. Fingers crossed! :)

Thank you both for your comments!

Unlovely, your skin looks amazing... I have seen some of your pictures before, so thats really encouraging smile.png

Ive taken your comments on board, and have infact already changed some of my routine in order to improve on some of the things you said. For instance im using a simple cream cleanser at night rather than the gel wash, this has stopped unnecessary drying of my skin and is stopping me from picking as much! Im also only washing my face with water in the morning.

You are probably right about the glycolic peels, they are not particularly harsh but I agree its best to keep things has simple as possible whilst treating your skin - I get a bit frantic sometimes when I get impatient.

Its quite stressful for me because my skin was pretty clear of active acne when I started Retin A, but my red marks were taking a long time to heal and I have shallow scars (plus I was still getting the odd spot) So I feel like ive gone backwards, I did know this would happen before I started and I decided it would be better to try and treat it 100% than just settling with the skin I had. But its difficult looking at the pictures I took of my progress before retin a and still feel like im doing the right thing!

Patience Patience Patience... lol x

post-139002-0-89518900-1320146833_thumb.

post-139002-0-23024800-1320146849_thumb.

post-139002-0-89518900-1320146833_thumb.

post-139002-0-23024800-1320146849_thumb.

hey ur skin does look way better :) do you have any active spots? I think the red marks are the worst for me because even if u only have 2 active ones u still look like u have a whole bunch. also thanks for encourging me to stay on. its a hard and long process . clear skin here we come lol. how was ur halloween?

hey ur skin does look way better smile.png do you have any active spots? I think the red marks are the worst for me because even if u only have 2 active ones u still look like u have a whole bunch. also thanks for encourging me to stay on. its a hard and long process . clear skin here we come lol. how was ur halloween?

Thanks! I have 6 definitely active ones (that are a little swollen and sore) and a number of dormant ones, im sure they will resurface! and then the rest is red marks. Photos usually make it all look better or worse... never very accurate, I think it looks better in the last pictures I took than in reality unfortunately.

More than happy to help with a little encouragement... we all need it on this! Im so up and down with it Physically on my skin and emotionally!

My Halloween was pretty low key, celebrating it properly on Friday for a Guy Fawkes/Halloween fancy dress and bonfire night :) Thinking about going as Lady GaGa in the 'Born This Way' skeleton outfit? haha... How was yours? x

it was good went trick or treating with my son I went out to a concert . but I was extra insecure about my acne so I was wearing makeup but hoping n praying it wouldnt come off. I still enjoy it either way. sounds funny the costume u want to wear lol I would love to see the costume on u.

your welcome. i totally understand the impatience and the need to feel like you're doing something... it got to me a few times. i had read about the initial breakout and so i just tried to keep reminding myself that these zits had to come out eventually and that it's better that they all come out at once. and don't be discouraged by when a certain area or spot breaks out multiple times... i have/had several spots that did the same thing. i assume those to be deeper infections cause by popping in the past (even months ago) because when you pop a zit that is not ready to be popped it is possible to push it even deeper into the skin and that's something i hadn't considered when i was picking obsessively. consider if maybe you recall having a lot of trouble in the past, even a while ago, with any of those recurring spots... your picking/squeezing months ago may have caused a deeper infection that the tretinoin is bringing out by thinning your skin.

about your pictures, you're not imagining that new golden look. i thought the same thing about myself early on. i still had pimples but my skin looked noticeably healthier and tan anyway. i thought i was imagining it too! but i can tell your skin is already looking healthier... not using such harsh products only brings that out more. those actives are probably still going to come but they're going to heal faster and faster than they have been and the marks will heal better. keep at it!

This is one of my favorite logs to follow, and I'm really grateful you update it consistently. I'm a big believer in the wonders of retinoids and I've used them off and on since I was 14 (almost 20 years!) so I really like to view the progress others are making with various retinoid based products. It really helps. It definitely looks like things are drying up! The spots look much smaller and a lot less angry. I am sort of wondering if you might want to ask about Retin A Micro, though. I had a terrible (TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE!!!!!) experience with the gel. Cysts overnight. Retin A isn't supposed to sprout cysts overnight, especially at the .01% I was using, so I know it was something in the carrier itself that resulted in the big itchy knots. Even the cream, which is known for containing the notoriously comedogenic ingredient isopropyl myristate, did not induce acne as badly or as quickly as the gel did. If the large inflamed nodules keep coming, I would ask your derm about switching to the micro formulation. If the spots are itchy that may be an indication that you are experiencing an allergy.

It's interesting, too, that you guys mention a more "golden" complexion. I was frequently asked if I had been tanning when using Retin A. I never really understood what caused that faint tan appearance? I knew of several people also using it at the time and they were sheet white!

Edited by luckycat

i think it's just the redness of the acne and the sallowness of the previously thick skin becoming healthier. while our skin isn't golden compared to most other people, compared to how unhealthy it looked before it's getting that healthy glow back i think. but when my skin is flaking a little bit it certainly looks whiter.

I had a few new ones... I have skipped a period so I think they're hormone related. Anyway I've left them alone and they have already shrunk to half or to nothing so that's a good sign. I also have found when I get big inflamed spots if I take a couple of ibuprofens - the liquid capsules - it really helped reduce the swellings.

So don't touch and take some ibuprofens for fast healing. Thats my tip of the day! Lol x

glad ur not picking im trying to not pick.to because I have notice that the ones I pop they come back from the dead lol. also the ones u leave alone they dnt leave a mark. but its so tempting im try to take some advil for the inflamed ones. thanks for the tip :)

My skin since the weekend has changed a bit... not actually for the better or worse but just different. I have had about 6-8 new pimples theyre big ones that have come up over night to a pus head. I have sworn to myself i wont pick which is so tempting. Some disappeared after a hot shower and others didnt.

Im adding a few more detailed pictures to log this pimpley phase but also wanted to look at my scarring and overall horrible uneven skin.... which I cant really see in the other pictures Ive uploaded.

post-139002-0-39589100-1320676979_thumb.

post-139002-0-75420700-1320676992_thumb.

post-139002-0-37359900-1320677004_thumb.

post-139002-0-13292400-1320677016_thumb.

post-139002-0-39589100-1320676979_thumb.

post-139002-0-75420700-1320676992_thumb.

post-139002-0-37359900-1320677004_thumb.

post-139002-0-13292400-1320677016_thumb.

Best of luck avoiding picking. I'm terrible for it, always fail. Even though I know that things can improve if I leave my skin alone because I've seen the results for myself, I find it so hard to resist. I find my biggest trigger is stress or if I'm feeling kind of down on myself. I end up taking it out on my skin for some reason, which of course causes more stress and leaves me feeling worse about myself. Crazy, self-destructive, negative cycle. Hopefully I'll learn one day.

You might be onto something about the Ibuprofen you know. I read a topic a while ago and someone said they'd seen good results using Ibuprofen gel on their skin. Not too sure that idea appeals to me, mainly because my skin's sensitive and it probably wouldn't like it, but perhaps there is a connection between it and the reduction in pimple size/redness...

:)

hey yea our skin kinda look the same I alot of marks and 6 inflame pimples some are on there way to join the party. what kinda of make up do u wear?

Skin is in a bad way today... im not sure why, could be hormonal... im quite stressed out at the moment as well with work stuff. But I have all these big inflamed spots on my jaw... plus my face feels like itchy, not sure why its suddenly itching after like 10 weeks of treatment. Maybe if this continues I might go back to my doctor when i have some time next week and ask about retin a micro. Total rubbishness.

You know, N.Clare...I went back through this thread and maybe I just missed it, but were you prescribed an antibiotic to use in conjunction with the Retin A? I think that is such a necessary step when using retioids, otherwise the experience can just be too traumatizing.

You know, N.Clare...I went back through this thread and maybe I just missed it, but were you prescribed an antibiotic to use in conjunction with the Retin A? I think that is such a necessary step when using retioids, otherwise the experience can just be too traumatizing.

No I dont take any antibiotics, they dont settle well in my stomach. But I am probably going to ask for a topical antibiotic from my doctor on Monday as its really quite distressing going through this! Does anyone recommend one?

Oh. I must have missed that part about not wanting antibiotics. Oops!

I have a very sensitive stomach too. Most things upset it. I don't want to have to rely on a pill- antibiotics or BC- to control my acne so finding a successful regimen has been kind of challenging. I don't really know much about topical antibiotics since my skin is also ridiculously sensitive to the most seemingly benign substances, so I am using blue LED therapy in conjunction with my Retin A treatment. A lot of folks seem to be raving about Aczone, though. Have you read about that on the boards yet? That dapsone gel, which offers anti-inflammatory benefits as well as being an antibiotic? I think one of the active ingredients is sulfur, which I like because it is such an effective skin softener. I think it is definitely worth asking about.

I am sorry this is distressing. I would find it distressing, too. Hang in there! You and your derm will find a solution soon.

Ill deff ask about aczone... Im not sure ill be able to get hold of it in the UK - previously when ive asked for products containing Sulphur I haven't been able to.

your cheeks and forehead look good smile.png. I had a horrible break out on my chin and mouth area too but in the begining. I am left with the reminder that they were there lol. stay strong and 2 more weeks till u hit 12 week mark.

Edited by gems2889

I have just got back from my doctor. Unfortunately the things people suggested arent available in England (Like I said before I think its the Sulphur or something). Anyway, it was a little disheartening because I think I have actually tried all the other products that arent accutane.... So she gave me a Benzoyl Peroxide wash to use in the morning, she said the wash is less irritating than the gel and I can continue to use my SPF moisturiser and apply makeup etc. She also gave me Lymecycline, an oral antibiotic... again this is so I dont have too many other irritants on my skin whilst using the Retin A.

Hopefully they will help the retin a. I currently have A LOT of red marks and small dry pimples... they look weird actually, like they have come up in the night to a white head and then dried up like that.

nclare I know how u feel this road is long and tough but we will get there :) I know we will. hopoefully with the bp and oral antibotics things will get better quicker. I have faith in retina a its just one hell of a ride to be on.