Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bonnie & Clyde

How Do I Know A Foundation Is Breaking Me Out?

Hey guys. I've been using MAC studio fix powder foundation for years now! I was on accutane twice, and haven't had bad acne since then, just the few spots, breakout once in a while kind of thing. I just want to know how should a breakout look when it comes to wearing foundation? I have one spot on my forehead, and one on my chin. I had a few breakouts last week, but when I used panoxyl on them after 2-3 days they all pretty much cleared up. I decided to use the MAC studio fix powder all of last week, with no new spots, and on saturday and sunday I didn't wear makeup. I washed my hair on Saturday and my conditioner was dripping down my forehead... so I'm thinking that could be why I have the spot on my forehead? When I wore the foundation all of last week, I didn't experience any new breakouts. Can someone please help me on this?

PS: If I do switch out I'm thinking of trying IMAN which I heard is an excellent powder (I don't like liquid foundations, any comments on this powder foundation?)

Edited by Bonnie & Clyde

it could be your conditioner. but is the powder you're using oil free? i use covergirl powder and it's oil free and unscented. and for a wet concealer i use neutrogena's skin clearing make up. it's wonderful!

You would know! A pimple here and there happens. A cosmetic reaction to your foundation with pimples is all over your face or sometimes in one area on your face. Say your forehead, chin, or side of cheeks. Also, it will keep happening. If these one or two pimples turn into three and four and so on I would look closely at the choice of foundation you use. MAC has never quite been the greatest choice as acne friendly goes. Check out the reviews on IMAN and the ingredient list and do a comparison to your current makeup. Helpful tip someone shared with me: Washing your face in the shower should be the last step after washing and conditioning your hair. It will help remove any residue that your shampoo and conditioner may have left behind. Your pores are also open from the steam of the shower which allows for greater absorption of the next step in your facial routine. Damp skin(not wet) is ideal for lotion/serum absorption.

Whenever I have broken out from foundation it's more in the form of tiny under the skin spots as opposed to whiteheads.

I think you're probably ok with just the one on your forehead and chin and the fact that you had a clear week afterwards is a good sign :)

Thank you guys so much! Yeah, usually if a product breaks me out (mac mineralized skin finish) I'd break out into tiny little bumps all over my face that felt like rashes! With this it was just the odd random big bump, one of them has gone down drastically bc of the panoxyl! I'll keep an eye on this. I'm gonna continue to use it like I've been doing and see if anything else happens this week. Thanks guys :)

The only way to truly know is to stay away from makeup altogether for about 6 months. Then you can add it back in, and track your progress for the next couple months.

Unfortunately, waiting 6 months isn't really fun stuff. I guess you just have to have faith in the company you buy from. :(

well I'm gonna try to go without wearing foundation. It's rough....but freeing. I have to get over the fear of rejectio-even from my family.

I tried rejuva minerals, but it broke me out in a rash like thing in areas that I don't get pimples. They were very minor pimples, but I have virtually stopped wearing it and the rash/breakout has stopped.

I used to wear mac in high school, then tried shiseido liquid makeup, and I always had breakouts in the same area- forehead, chin, lips, and around the mouth. Virtually nowhere else.