2 Years Of Dermarolling And Stuff

Havn't been around much, thought I'd drop a line to give an '

update.

I looked for my old thread but couldn't find it???? The format

is different here now.

History:

Rolled .5 twice in spring 09, 1mm spring 09

1.5 mm sept 09, 1.5mm dec 09, 1.5 mm march 10,

2mm sept 10, and finally 1.5 mm march 11.

Things and stuff I did: Used 302 products almose exclusively,

LED's 3x week, rotated topicals, rest, no drinking, juiced

veggies everyday 2x a day.

My recommendation for people rolling: I can't , after using

a 2mm, recommend a 2mm roller, to me its too long. If you

do, BE CAREFUL. My opinion its too long for home use.

Rest your skin in between rolling. I'm now resting for an entire

year. I never could connect the results from using an oral

collagen supplement (there's a certain type that has good results

in trials), to the fact that it can't be really digested (broken down]

into protein). Anyway, my guess, because both seems to be

true, is the body breaks it down and reassembles it. Take

vitamin C with any oral collagen supplement, and a lot of it

orally anyway.

My results have been great percentage wise (sorry Munsoned,

I know you don't like percentages!!), is maybe a 70-80 % correction

of my scars. Even now, almost 7 months post rolling, my skin

is still improving. I am much less self-conscious about my skin

and moved on to other thing I enjoy.

This forum sometimes for scarred people is hard. It was hard to

come back here and write this because it is foriegn to me now.

Scars. I certainly wish everyone the best in dealing with their

scar issues. My have greatly improved. To me its correct

technique, topicals, frequency, and perseverence.

God bless all.

dermaroller would always work great. I never done this manually though, always through doctor's treatment in clinic.

you rolled how often? every day or how many times per week and how?

I posted my frequency schedule above. One of my main concerns with people

rolling was frequency. I thought I noticed some rolling too often, and not seeing

results, and blaming rolling as not a decent option for scarring. I think when

you first start rolling you can roll more often. You skin, in my opinion, needs to

rest and just build collagen at some point. This strategy has worked for me.

Generally, I rolled every 3 months. I'm not knocking others who roll more often

though. There isn't enough studies, just general guidelines. I think I read every

"study" by the South African doctor (Des Fernandez) whose name escapes me at the moment.

Remember my needle length was 1.5 to 2 mm. I wasnt using a .25 or .5 for

topical penetration. I used ultrasound for that. You can .25-.5 mm roll, creating

microinflammation for a while (puffs up skin) often, and make you scars look

better........ but you are always in the inflammed stage and in the long run damage

your skin (remember the 3 phase wound healing cascade). You have to get

out being inflammed for collagen growth to happen, if you're rolling all the time

it can never happen (skin always inflammed).

On the "how", I read Dr. Fernandez's stuff, Lamar1986's stuff, munson's stuff. and any/every

thread I could find on rolling. Briefly, I believe in a step up approach, when you first start

rolling use a .5mm once or twice. Rest. Use a 1mm at least once, then when you are

comfortable with a 1mm, graduate to a 1.5. I cannot recommend a 2mm because of

higher risk. With that, when I did 2mm roll (only once), it did break up scars because

I heard the crunch/cracking of scars when I did it. After my 1mm roll I continued preppin

with topicals during the summer. I shyed away from rolling in the summer because I

felt UV damage would hurt collagen development. So almost 4-5 months later I 1.5

rolled. Topicals I suggest are non-acidic vitamin C and vitamin A (the weaker one)

I applied once a day only at bedtime, rotating each every other day. Never twice a day,

and never the same one twice in a row. This flies against Dr. Fernandez's protocol.

My research suggested rotating topicals kept your skin "fresher" and so "burned out".

Every 6 months or so I would rest a week or two from everything except moisturizer.

LED"s 3x per week. Everyone shoud read lamar1986 and munson's threads.

Their knowledge helped me a lot.

I became so confident with the technique of the procedure I can do it in my sleep.

Initially I was terrified, and rightly so. If you screw up, there goes your face.

I am still terrified of 2mm rolling. Those needles are just too long in my opinion.

I used numbing cream, sterile surgical gloves, sterile everything, just like I was at

a hospital in surgury. I had, and still have no fear of infection because of all the

precautions I took. I never reused needles. Its just common sense to me. Since my

frequence was only 3 months or so, it was a new roller every time.

Hope this help to all.

Best wishes

p.s. Munson, how you doing bro????

Edited by scoobie_do

Healing,

The .5 rolling I did first (twice) realy doesn't count to me, because the needle

length was so shallow. If memory serves me I 1.0 mm rolled in early May.

So a few months later, perhaps July, I began to see improvement.

To detail what my problems were: I had dermabrasion (deep) done 10 or so

years earlier, which helped with acne scars. This procedure was done under

anestesia , and my entire face was taped with sterile gauze after the procedure

(had eye slits). This eventually left my skin smoother with regards to craters,

but had a plastic, half scar/half normal looking skin. I could hide this with

different things. After 7 years or so it began reverting back to my old skin with

the craters coming back. I did a chemical peel at home, which was botched,

and left a chemical burn on my face. That said, on a 1-10 scale, my skin was in

the moderate catagory. Not severe craters, but I had some deep ones, and a

LARGE place on my face that looked constantly bruised because of the unhealing

chemical peel. Definately funky looking.

Now it doesn't look bad AT ALL. Not too shabby!!!

My healing analogy my be an infant growing into a toddler. Steady, un-noticable healing

at a steady pace. I've had comments 7 months after starting of friends almost shocked

at how much improved my skin looked (friends I hadn't seen in a while). Even lately

positive comments from friends. Like I said, the healing is still continuing, 7 months post-

rolling in March.

All remember something too, there are contraindacators for rolling, I can't remember them:

Maybe: disbetics, heart problems, etc. If you have a weak immune system, forget it.

I drastically changed my lifestyle to prevent infection. If you're a slow healer, drinker,

a late night "ally-cat", forget it. You have to really be dedicated in my opinion to roll at

home.

Finally, I will say this to give hope for rollers. There was a (believe it or not) smaller quarter

sized burn spot on my left cheek. It was the smaller area. It had completely healed to a

point where the new tissue is IDENTICAL to where the burn/indention was. Identical.

I picked spots with scarring, and even named them, for example "the letter L", because it

was "L" shaped. They were small areas I weekly looked at to see the healing. Slowlyyyyyy

"the letter L" vanished. "The letter L" is about 70% gone, the worst spot on my right cheek.

Perhaps I'm being long winded. Best wishes Healing.

I was curious because Ive been rolling and stamping since May and am about to do my 4th 2.0mm treatment next Tuesday. Ive also been using red/infered LEDs every single day, applying terproline professional every day twice a day until I got the 20% L-ascorbic acid a month ago. Its just hard for me to be able to see my scars in the mirror when Im trying to stamp or roll for some reason. In pictures I look torn up bad but when I roll or stamp its hard to see them so its hard for me to tell if Ive made any progress.

Progress is such a tricky, subjective thing. I've obviously reached a point where I'm

much less self-conscious and don't really think about it. It hit home for me when friends

would tell be (ones I havn't seen for a while) how much better my skin looked. These

were unsolicited comments, and no one knew about my rolling and skin treatment.

Wish you the best Tuesday with your roll.

Wow,what a great encouraging post scoobie do! Thank you so much for thinking of helping others, and coming back to share your improvements

Can I ask what brand of dermastamp did you use?

And what brand of dermaroller did you use???

Girlie, I never used the dermastamp, but always liked the concept.

The rollers I used were the "Dr. Roller" brand. I purchased them

from http://www.dr-roller.eu/. I brought in bulk, which dropped the

price quite a bit. (hope its ok to post specific websites on this forum,

I can't remember??).

thanks scoobie do

i do really like the dermastamp. i purchased one from nova clinic, used it twice, and found a bent needle . I was ULTRA careful and gentle with the dermastamp, so that was very disappointing

plus i paid 70 dollars for it, thinking it was made by nova, except it said made in korea,and lots of typos on the box that contained the dermastamp

now of course, i cant use it

thinking maybe i should just try the dermaroller, insteafd of dermastamp as can;t find a reputable dermastamp to use. but my scars r isolated and the dermastamp would have worked much better

This, to me, is the most exciting development intreating ACNE scars, without high risks, even in ppl with dark/olive skin

So happy it worked for you. i use to read your posts on here years ago, and to see that u have gained so much improvements is sooo encouraging . :)

Guest Timehealsall

any photos? i would love to see how ur scars look now!

I have some small deep box car scars just below my jaw line area. Do you guys think these might respond well to derma stamping/rolling?

thanks scoobie do

i do really like the dermastamp. i purchased one from nova clinic, used it twice, and found a bent needle . I was ULTRA careful and gentle with the dermastamp, so that was very disappointing

plus i paid 70 dollars for it, thinking it was made by nova, except it said made in korea,and lots of typos on the box that contained the dermastamp

now of course, i cant use it

thinking maybe i should just try the dermaroller, insteafd of dermastamp as can;t find a reputable dermastamp to use. but my scars r isolated and the dermastamp would have worked much better

This, to me, is the most exciting development intreating ACNE scars, without high risks, even in ppl with dark/olive skin

So happy it worked for you. i use to read your posts on here years ago, and to see that u have gained so much improvements is sooo encouraging . smile.png

I had a bent needle on a dermaroller b4 so I just took some tweezers and pulled it out. Its probably more difficult to do on a dermastamp bc the needles r much closer together but its worth a shot to save you some money.

Thanks Healing!!

It was so difficult to find that little bent needle (with using a magnifying glass) that now I'm worried that i could miss some that r already bent

the one i found that was bent was on the outside row of the dermastamp

But in the middle of the dermastamp, its really hard to check it properly. Plus tiny needles. The dermastamp is only 0.8mm :(

I am concerned about dermarolling/stamping with bent needles, and ruining my skin unintentionally, by missing a bent needle.

Any ideas???

Thanks so much for your help Healing 2.0

When I opened the box, I would examine the needles careful, in different lights, carefully looking

for any bent ones. When going to a new section, for example right cheek to left, I would be waiting

for the numbing cream to take effect, and re-examine them. I did find a bent one once. I was

actually shocked, and relieved that I didn't roll with the bent needle. I looked at the "rows" trying

to find one out of line. And would turn the roller different angles to line up the "rows". They should

line up in a straight line like little soldiers. If one is off, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Healing2.0, when I saw the movie "Vanilla Sky", I could ID with the character in the movie, because

of my ridiculous chemical burnhifive.gif

Thanks for your help Scoobie do .

The problem I find, with the dermastamp is that the needles are ever so close together, that its VERY difficult to spot a bent needle within the middle rows.

I think I need a stronger magnifying glass, but the one I have, so far, is the strongest I have been able to purchase.

I have alot of confidence in this working, its just that i don't want to damage my skin by missing a bent needle. What a bummer!!

Thinking maybe i should just resort to using a dermaroller instead, and not take the risk on the dermastamp. Sounds like dermaroller needles are spaced further apart than dermastamp???

Thanks again

Neither are really a risk since the needles are so small, but in my experience dermaroller caused more downtime as the needles are going in at an angle causing wider holes.

Hey scoobie did/do you have box car scars?

Hello Joe,

No, I didn't have the box car type scars. Mine were rolling scars.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback on the positive outcome of your dermarolling experience. But someone here once said TCA crossing is the way to go because dermarolling will only raise the skin outside the indentation as well so there won't be much of a difference. Is this true?

Thanks for the feedback on the positive outcome of your dermarolling experience. But someone here once said TCA crossing is the way to go because dermarolling will only raise the skin outside the indentation as well so there won't be much of a difference. Is this true?

To be honest Jakeshake, I don't know much about TCA crossing. I've read over some posts

here, and at one time was up on the theory. There was something about it I didn't like, so I

never really pursued it. I only know there are obviously different treatment avenues that are

effective.

For rolling..... I can speak personally that my craters have and are filling. The center of them,

and in a sense around the edges. I think its the repeatitive wound healing cycle in the same

area, over and over. I can't say for sure, let's say 2 years from now, if I'll have a 95% correction

or not. I'm not as aggressive in rolling as I've been.... to rest my skin, and also with my correction

I'm not so unhappy with my skin. I will roll again in a few months or early next year.

So to answer, I'm not sure if TCA crossing is more viable that rolling??? Its probably a subjective

thing because there's really no studies comparing the two. Studies indicate dermarolling is one

effective treatment for scarring. I would add its a longer term option, not a quicker fix like

dermabrasion or a laser treatment which might render results quicker, but perhaps (?) with greater

risk. When I say quicker results, I am also including faster positive results. I shyed away from these

because my experience with dermabrasion was not satisfactory to me. Rolling seemed viable to

me because I could control everything about it, frequency, intensity, topicals, etc.

I believe munsoned did TCA cross, along with rolling, you might cross-post with him. Perhaps he

could more accurately answer your question.

Best of luck

Ah too bad, I was hoping that you had box cars. Do you all think that rolling/stamping can work for box cars?

My suggestion, because I remember different types of scarring being identified, would be to find

Des Fernandez's studies and see if you're scar type is ID'ed there. I don't want to steer you wrong.

For sure rolling scars are treatable.

best of luck Mr. Peeps