Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hitemup

Shaving Backwards?

I allways used to shave normally. But the other day I shaved back wards... (so i run the blade upwards on my face instead of down) I noticed this make my shave feel soo much smoother than the normal way. But i was wondering if this could be doing anything bad for my skin?! If so what and why thanks!

I can see no reason for panic, I think shaving against the hair follicle is an effective way of shaving as long as you use the proper material when shaving (i.e. shaving cream, moisturizer, etc.)

Also, before you shave, you can wet the skin with warm water so that it opens the pores, and after shaving, wash it all off with cool water to close it.

God bless...

Many others including myself shave against the grain or as you refer to it, "shaving backwards". With denser,thicker hair it is best to shave once with the grain before you shave against so you don't pull hairs or irritate the skin. I would also recommend using a Single Blade Double Edged Safety Razor( I use a Merkur), with a Feather blade(they are the sharpest for less pulling). Cartridge razors,especially cheap throw-away blades, are very poor quality and not quite sharp enough to cut a thick beard without skin irritation against the grain. And if you don't want to take the plunge into the old school Single blade Double Edged razors like a Merkur, I would at least use a single blade cartridge, the more blades, the more irritation on the skin after a shave, especially shaving against the grain. Don't forget proper prepping of the beard will help allow for a less irritating cut. I would suggest soakiing your beard in warm water, and using a shaving soap with Glycerin has the main ingredient(it softens thick beards). A wet shave with or against the grain exfoliates the skin. Good luck bud.

That's called shaving against the grain. It's not intrinsically harmful, I used to do it all the time, but it can lead to irritation/bumps. Ever since having spot problems I've decided to stop shaving against the grain, and get sharper razors (rather than disposables).

Shaving against the grain causes in-grown hairs, never shave 180 against the way your hair grows, instead shave with the grain 0, and 90 degrees of the way it grows, this will reduce any ingrown hairs.

Shaving against the grain does give you a closer shave but can cause ingrown hairs. A lot of people swear by shaving this way. Personally I've always shaved with the growth. Shaving in general can irritate your skin especially if you have acne and/or use a multi blade razor because what you are doing essentialy is removing the top layer of your skin. But the same as with acne treatment - as long as it works for you carry on doing it.

I used to shave backward but irritates my skin although it feels really nice. I have stop shaving and use scissor or razor to clean up my facial hair. Not really that smooth but still look okay