Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristina K

Anyone Else Experiencing Eye Swollen-Ness Or Eye Styes From Accutane?

Hey guys,

So I have posted a previous topic entitled "My Personal Accutane Log" and I wanted to post another one regarding side effects of Accutane. I'm currently on pack #2 of month 2 for Accutane. My dermatologist prescribed a total of 4 months - 40mg once a day. The past couple of weeks, I've been experiencing eye swollen-ness leading up to an eye stye. The most terrible of them went away just a few days ago and I thought I was going to be rid of them... until last night. I started feeling a tender feeling in my eye and I had a feeling they weren't going away. Today my lower lash line area is red and swollen - similar to an eye stye.

I'm getting so annoyed with this... I know it is a side effect because my dermatologist even told me that she had experienced this particular problem when she was on Accutane a long time ago. I haven't worn any eye makeup in 2 weeks and I've been wearing my glasses daily instead of contacts.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there has experienced this problem? I really hope I'm not alone in this... It's scary and most definitely annoying.

Edited by Kristina K

I have this problem right now. I think I've had about 5 or 6 styes already. They're such a pain in the butt. The only side effect that I'm experiencing now is just dry eyes and it sucks! I think I have to lower it to 20 mg every day.

Thanks for your feedback! How do you treat them? I've been using hot-warm compresses multiple times a day and putting them over the area. It feels better afterwards but I'm so annoyed with having them.

I'm also experiencing dry eyes as the main side effect now. How long are you going to be on Accutane?

I've gotten 2 styes, and now the outer corner of my eye (where a sty was) is like, painful and tender and like, a little crusty (not noticeable but if i pick at it, it comes off) but no eye pain or anything other than dryness... the styes just go away but if there is a way to treat them I'll try... not wearing eye makeup/wearing glasses instead of contacts isn't really an option, I'm already insanely self conscious.

So it definitely IS the Accutane. I mean I haven't worn eye makeup in probably 2-3 weeks so it can't be anything from my makeup. Sigh this is so depressing! Mine feels tender and is swollen ...even painful when I blink. I just put in some eye drops (definitely a good thing to buy because dry eyes will persist).

cry.gif This sucks.

Edited by Kristina K

I haven't experienced this. :( I'm sure it's another one of Accutane's wonderful side effects. Talk to you derm next time you go!

Apparently it is because Accutane is drying out EVERY part of your body, so it also dries out your natural eye oil glands which are constantly needed... I hope it doesn't make it permanent.

It's ridiculously worrisome...

I had the absolute worst eye problems when I went on accutane. My eye swelling was out of control and affected both my eyes. They were incredibly tender and swollen and painful. My doctor stopped my Accutane regimen for a month then we resumed it and the eye swelling did no return. I used excessive amounts of eye drops to help moisturize my eyes. 0908000624.jpg

Thank you firegirl310!! I really appreciate that you even posted a picture as that is exactly how my eyes have been. It goes from feeling a little painful and swollen to a straight up eye stye that lasts for around 5-ish days. It is AWFUL! It makes me just want to get off of this medication but when I temporarily stopped for 5 days (to let the swelling and eye stye go down), I felt like my skin broke out a little. It wasn't drastic but it made me feel even more gross...

I've also been using eye drops to keep them moisturized.