Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, so I have just done my first week on roaccutane. I hope to continue to update this weekly as I want to avoid having a daily obsession with my progress! My plan is to get on with life, and just hope it does the job!

I have had acne since I was 12 or so, (now nearly 20) and it has ranged from mild to quite severe over the years. I have tried birth control, oral and topical antibiotics, countless skin products, vitamins, special diets ETC ETC YOU ALL KNOW THE DRILL.

This year in particular, my acne got worse and I was getting cysts pretty constantly - big, painful ones. As well as the cysts my skin is really just generally congested, I always have whiteheads, they are a permanent feature of my life! It doesnt bother me half as much as it used to, I have got pretty good at dealing with it but I am desperate for better skin. I know it affects my confidence, I hate something as stupid as my skin being a constant worry. So I insisted that it was dermatologist time. She gave me Differin for a couple months which did not help, made it worse if anything. She then relented and gave me my prescription for roaccutane.

I am on 20mg a day so a low dose atm.

No side effects so far. Skin is still moderately oily to normal, no dryness has happened.

My skin - A really congested area below my mouth erupted in whiteheads. Now I am a BIG picker/scratcher. I must try to stop this.

Also two big under the skin beauties on my forehead, that I managed to burst and are now healing although one is still raised so I think there is more stuff to come out...I wouldnt necessarily put these breakouts down to roaccutane and it is pretty normal acne attack for me.

The rest of my skin is generally ok, other minor spots scattered around. Numerous red marks from recent breakouts.

I am using:

"Simple" face wash gel - Standard stuff, non irritating, does the job.

TRIED "Eucerin" Sensitive cleansing milk - Not good, it really stings!

Boots "Botanics" day cream, and night cream - Anyone in the UK! This stuff is REALLY nice, Ive had good results with it for a month or so, and Im going to continue using. Really moisturising, only need a little, calms my skin, non irritating ingredients.

I really struggle to find a moisturiser I like so trust me and try it : )

For spots: Just sudocrem. Long gave up with acid based spot gels. Sudocrem does just as well, and is gentle.

Supplements:

MultiVitamin + Minerals minus Vit A

Extra Vit C

Vit E

Omega 3

Milk Thistle

Ok guys I'll keep you posted, good luck and best wishes to all!

SO, finished week 2 today.

My skin was looking better at the start of the week, had some really nice smooth areas and the two massive spots on my forehead completely went away. I got a small cluster of other whiteheads on my forehead, small ones though that are already gone. I was putting makeup on to go out with my boyfriend, and I felt so much less self conscious putting it on (usually hate it, it depresses me trying to cover up my awful skin) - because I only had a couple of spots to hide, my general skin tone was actually pretty nice!

But, I had another cluster of under the surface whiteheads (almost looked like a rash) that I squeezed...bad move. They became huge and red and inflamed, they are now scabby but I think the redmark will be pretty awful. Theres a few on my cheek to fade, so it can join the club. A couple of other spots along my jaw.

I think I would call this some kind of inital breakout, pretty sure on that. Lots of small blackheads have also risen, that come out easily. As I said in my last post, my skin is SO congested, I think theres a lot of crap to come up - so getting clear might be a long process.

My lips are dry, but nothing severe. Blistex all the way. The skin on my face is a little dehydrated in areas (yet still manages to look oily when I put makeup on WTF), but not dry yet.

I had a bit of a cold, so felt abit rubbish with headaches etc - but I think I was just sick, nothing down to roaccutane.

So far so good! I hope I get to see some really good results soon. I MUST stop squeezing, I think this is really crucial to my progress. Also, I have eaten really badly this week - too much sugar and milk which I KNOW doesnt help my skin but I love the stuff. Need to get off it!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Hey Daisy! It seems that progress has started for you already! Have you experienced an initial outbreak yet? What is the overall texture of your skin? I definitely know how hard it is to pick but try not to do it - i still have picking marks from acne spots i had 2 years ago! Anyway, i'm about to start Claravis this week myself so i'll definitely keep checking in with your blog to see how things are going with you (it may serve as a benchmark for myself of what to expect)

Sascha

Hey Daisy! It seems that progress has started for you already! Have you experienced an initial outbreak yet? What is the overall texture of your skin? I definitely know how hard it is to pick but try not to do it - i still have picking marks from acne spots i had 2 years ago! Anyway, i'm about to start Claravis this week myself so i'll definitely keep checking in with your blog to see how things are going with you (it may serve as a benchmark for myself of what to expect)

Sascha

Hi Sascha!

Well, I think that all these whiteheads I have erupting are some kind of initial breakout, but its nothing terrible. And like I said, the ones on my forehead cleared up much quicker than they usually would have! The idea of an initial breakout doesnt bother me THAT much anyway, as I have really bad breakouts every now and then anyway, so its nothing new!

And aside from where the breakouts are, my skin texture is generally quite okay! Especially my forehead - I think the main improvement has been there. I DO have lots of small under the skin whiteheads that arnt particularly visible but Im really hoping they eventually go.

Good luck starting your course, dont worry about it at all!

Well, OUCHIES. Some horrible cysts they HURT. Not really "squeezable" at all either. Rest of my face is getting clearer, but I think I will be plagued with cysts around my chin and jaw for a while yet.

So Im studying from home at the moment, and boy im glad! Because I have a spot the size of a mountian and I do not want to leave the house! Its annoying, because my forehead, nose, and inner cheeks are getting smoother and somewha clear, but these monsters just to the side of my chin area are awful, I havent had a spot this severe in a while. Hopefully after this first month they'll go away!