Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wag18

Hormonal Imbalance

I read so much that teenage acne can be due to a 'hormone imbalance,'

if this is the case, how does one balance hormones?

Surely there must be a way, i've tried pretty much everything else, topical remedies, pills, diets, etc etc

so im thinking that i must have imbalanced hormones which is causing my breakouts.

I guess that this will cure over time, im 18, and had my first major breakout about 2 years a go.

But is there anyway of balancing hormones?? Or at least speeding up the process

A balanced diet, avoiding stress and getting enough excersize can help with balancing out your hormones, and likewise there are topical (and internal, ie, accutane) treatments to help with the imbalance.

Birth control pills can help with a hormonal imbalance. I have very hormonal acne, and 4 months after taking a birth control called Diane35 my acne is a lot better!

I don't know, but I'll tell you when I find out. I had my first appointment with a gynecologist last Tuesday, and this Monday I'm going in for a full lab work-up... I'm gonna finally figure out what the heck is going on with my crazy hormones and then FIX IT!!

A balanced diet, avoiding stress and getting enough excersize can help with balancing out your hormones, and likewise there are topical (and internal, ie, accutane) treatments to help with the imbalance.

Ive tried changing my diet, and ive found that excercise, if anything, makes me break out even more. Ive never been prescribed accutane, just oxytetracycline, doxycycline, and erthrymycin. Which didnt help me out much. As for topicals, ive tried pretty much everything. What do you recommend?

Thanks for the response

Birth control pills can help with a hormonal imbalance. I have very hormonal acne, and 4 months after taking a birth control called Diane35 my acne is a lot better!

but im a guy, am i allowed to take birth control pills?? Hah

I don't know, but I'll tell you when I find out. I had my first appointment with a gynecologist last Tuesday, and this Monday I'm going in for a full lab work-up... I'm gonna finally figure out what the heck is going on with my crazy hormones and then FIX IT!!

I would be very interested to find out too. Would really appreciate it if youd let me know :) thanks

OH. I am sorry I didn't see that you were male. :)

I don't think birth control pills will do anything for males. For me, I produce too many male hormones so everything is all wacked out. Birth control is helping control my acne by balancing my hormones. I also have thicker body hair then most females, (sounds sexy eh?) so that is helping it as well.