Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm looking for a moisturizer, the problem I have is that my skin is very dry and sensitive only with acne. The moisturizers made for acne are not heavy enough to fully moisturize my skin but heavier ones contain things I don't want on my face - I'm on about oils by the way. I haven't found an oil free moisturizer that does the job does anyone know of one?

It's not necessarily the oil itself that is the enemy, but certain oils with a large molecular structure can be comedogenic. Also, oils themselves (in untrustworthy products) can be rancid. The method of extraction varies among companies, who may opt for cheaper oil from manufacturers that extract and burn the oil to get rid of rancid smell! No one wants this on their skin.

Good-quality oil that has a low-comedogenic rating will be your best bet for proper moisturizing. I should clarify, the best way to treat dryness is also by avoiding products that will dry your skin out in the first place. Products that allow water retention will be best, and it will just be up to the moisturizer to protect the skin from superficial water loss. If you're constantly stripping your skin of oil too, this can be a problem. Most acne isn't caused by the oil you see at the surface of the skin. That's the oil that was able to move up the pore properly. It's the oil in the pore that you want to dissolve. For this, you need hydrophobic products that will penetrate the stratum corneum, into the pore and help dissolved trapped sebum.

So, not only will oil help moisture retention and soften the skin with it's own moisturizing abilities, but it will prevent pore clogging too. It's one of the reasons that oil cleansing is so popular. Now, if your pores get clogged from oil, something else is going on, like overpopulation of p.acnes and very sticky skin cells. You need to attack that with anti-bacterial products and chemical and manual exfoliants.

Oil is great for the skin. Take any moisturizer from a trusted source that's oil-free, like Paula's Choice Hydralight Moisture‑Infusing Lotion. It's light on the skin and smells great too (I've loved it in the past). Then, purchase a quality carrier oil separately that you trust. Find a company that makes good quality oil. I would suggest purchasing watermelon seed oil (personal favorite of mine). To moisturize, take a dime-size of the Hydralight and add 2-3 drops carrier oil. Hydration and moisture, boom. done. The Hydralight moisturizer on it's own won't be moisturizing enough, but with the carrier, it should be good.

Edited by Vanbelle

i have been on regimen for about 6 weeks and found the bp was dryng my face alot so I was using cetaphil moisturizer which still left me flaky, i couldnt believe when i started with plain old clean and clear dual action oil free moisturizer how amazing it has been :) feels so soft and no more flaky!! give it a try its cheap and doersnt break u out.. and if u find its still not working, try add a couple drops of jajoba oil , this oil did break me out though so im happy with the clean and clear alone... i cant believe how silky it leaves skin.. i am VERY sensitive and this really does trick :)

Im in the same boat as my skin is only sensitve and dry with acne. When im clear and in the past i have never needed a moisturizer ever, i do tend to have slightly oily skin imo but its very mild. I'd say i have a good balance. But i flak because of the aha and epiduo i use. I havent found a great moisturizer that doesnt irratate, calms, and moisturizes without having pore clogging ingredients/extra oils. yes not all oils are bad but i dont need them imo.

Paula's Choice Hydralight Moisture‑Infusing Lotion- this i was looking at. anyone recommend.. especially someone using epiduo.

Carrier oils help the moisturizer penetrate the skin. It would only enhance the moisturizer. Would not make it greasy at all, promise. I only use oil to moisturize and I have very oily skin. It helps calm oil production. I know a lot of people don't believe you can regulate production of oil, but this is just personal experience.

Thanks very much, Vanbelle especially that is a wealth of very usefull information. Im just about to google the moisturiser you suggested not sure if its available in this country but if not I go to America for work soon so hopefully can get it then. Thanks again