Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gecko333

Accutane In The Uk.

Finally after years of trying and failing with everything (inc. the acne.org Regimen). My GP has finally recommended Accutane. I'm 20, and at Uni, so, it's going to be interesting. I've got my appointment with an NHS Dermatologist on 31st October - so only a 5 week wait (which is really good, most people in the UK have to wait 8 weeks +).

I'm so hopeful and optimistic now, everything is really riding on this. So here's the start of my log, wanted to capture all my optimism now so I can look back.

Here we go guys!

Best of luck with the course! Pity about the wait but I'm sure it'll soon pass. Plus it gives you time to prepare yourself. Fingers crossed for you! :)

Wow 8+ weeks?!?!?

Here in the US, you can probably get an appointment the same day. Granted, you may not get the exact doctor you want, but I can usually get in to see a doctor or physician's assistant no problem.

I got mine in 3 weeks lol. I wouldnt be expecting you will definatley get prescribed tane. I had to near enough beg mine for accutane he would of been quite happy to send me away with a bottle of b.p.

I got mine in 3 weeks lol. I wouldnt be expecting you will definatley get prescribed tane. I had to near enough beg mine for accutane he would of been quite happy to send me away with a bottle of b.p.

I hear that. I've tried twice to get Accutane and was refused both times. The second time, two days ago, I was told that I will not get Accutane for as long as I live in Sheffield because the dermatologists here prescribe based on severity alone and my skin isn't bad enough. I should be happy that it's not severe, of course, but the approach kind of sucks. My doctor shrugged off the whole emotional aspect of things as if my skin is a really trivial thing so goodness knows what would actually have to happen to me before they took notice. If we'd have been in the States, I reckon I'd have been given it years ago. Still, there's always something else to try. :)

Based on what I learned this week, if the doctor says yes to it and the derm appointment is set up, I'd say it's a safe bet that Accutane would be prescribed.

I say don't stress about it until you've seen the dermatologist. I was terrified in the days leading up to my appointment because of all the horror stories here about how awful dermatologists can be and I thought I'd have go to in and plead with him to put me on Accutane. Then when I went in and sat down, he listened to me, and understood, and he approved me for Accutane based on what he saw and my history. It wasn't scary and I didn't have to beg. So don't think about your appointment until you've gone. Take a list of treatments with you, have pre-Accutane tests done with your GP and take them in with you and don't let anything here scare you off because they're all different.

I am refusing to leave until I get Accutane. My GP Finally caved and said yes to accutane - I've been on BP for two years plus, have tried literally everything else. My Acne is moderate but it scars REALLY badly, even the tiniest spot/red mark just doesn't fade - my GP said that is a criteria for getting it. Im going in all guns blazing.