Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sebastianc2012

Excessive Dryness From Cleanser

Recently, I've been suffering from excessive drying and cracking of my skin, due to Clean and Clear Facial foaming cleanser.

I also use NOTS 2.5BP, and CVS Intense Skin Restoration Moisturizing Lotion.

My skin becomes cracked and peels slightly, and its very visible, even only 15 minutes after applying just the cleanser and letting it dry.

Because of this, i've recently stopped the regimen, because when my face is cracked or peeling, the other 2 products tend to burn and sting really bad and cause severe irritation, only making it worse.

What are some good products to use as a cleanser that i can pick up at a local store, preferably a CVS.

Much thanks

Hi there... I think you should give cerave cleanser a shot. I was skeptical at first too, especially because I had already used cetaphil and did not like it, but cerave does really cleanse the skin without stripping away its natural oils and adding irritation. It is super mild and has the consistency of a thin lotion rather than a soap based foaming cleanser. It also has a few key ingredients that are supposed to help rebuild and restore skin.

I used to have a HUGE peeling problem, even when my skin was clear and would have to load up on moisturerizer... which I believe would make me break out more. I have been using cerave since July and my mom even said how my skin looked healthier and with more of a glow.

it is around 12.99 at cvs, but that bottle has lasted me 3 months...

I still continue to play around with whichever topicals are the flavor of the week for me lol (currently acnomel a sulfur based topical) but I believe I have found my cleanser and will stick with it.

I think the trick about treating acne is to attack the acne and not your healthy skin. If you are just starting out with BP - start with small amounts and work your way up so your skin can develop tolerance. I know it seems obvious, but I feel like all us acne sufferers get a little over zealous with our products sometimes lol. I can recall a time when i literally burned my face off with Max clarity foam lol.

good luck and I hope you skin feels better soon!

Thanks for the reply, and i also feel like moisturizer tends to break me out, it stings a tiny bit, not sure if thats normal or not.

And i'll try to pick up some of the product you suggested.

I would think my skin has become fairly friendly with BP, as i've has mild acne for the last 3 years or so, I've tried Proactiv and Maxclarity for a few months each, neither seemed to do it right for me, but This regimen has been making my face clear up quite well, people in public, friends and family have been saying my face is looking much better.

Thanks for the response, Imfromnj, i'll look into that product, and pick me some up as soon as i can.

I second the suggestion of using CeraVe gentle cleanser. I also used Cetaphil and thought CeraVe would be just as the same. No, it is a wonderful cleanser that is gentle and still cleanses the skin. I had drying and peeling as well because of the BP(I later found out I am actually in the % that is allergic to BP). Any topical you use will cause some drying and peeling allergies or not. A gentle cleanser and moisturizer will help restore your skin structure while the topical does "it" job. Gentle cleansers are the way to go!

I think a gentle cleanser with great ingredients would be nice for you, preferably not foaming as they can be very drying depending on the product. Aveeno's calming cleanser or clarifying are both gentle and make your skin nice and even.

If you get any skin care product that drys out your skin. Use it still than buy jergens coconut milk. I recommend any biore products it doesn't strip natural oils. I have the clarisonic so I actually use that everyday and than use the jergens cream. It makes your face so soft :) everyones skin is different but Hey I hope you give it a try :)

Clean and clear foaming facial cleanser did the same thing to me. Very very drying and became intolerable after awhile. I switched to purpose gentle cleanser recently and it is much better. Cleanses just as well as clean and clear but it is much less drying!

Have you heard of Albolene? You don't use water to clean your face, it's like a vaseline type texture and you wipe it off using tissue. It's meant to keep the moisture in your skin while cleaning it. You can get it at the drugstore, it's usually next to the Cetaphil products.

I've also noticed that my lips are soft and plump the next morning.

I use it as a make-up remover, cleanser and moisturizer. No water needed!

Recently, I've been suffering from excessive drying and cracking of my skin, due to Clean and Clear Facial foaming cleanser.

My skin becomes cracked and peels slightly, and its very visible, even only 15 minutes after applying just the cleanser and letting it dry.

Because of this, i've recently stopped the regimen, because when my face is cracked or peeling, the other 2 products tend to burn and sting really bad and cause severe irritation, only making it worse.

What are some good products to use as a cleanser that i can pick up at a local store, preferably a CVS.

Purpose gentle cleanser. Best OTC cleanser available. I had the same issue with clean and clear foaming cleanser, purpose is waaaaaay less drying.

Much thanks

Much thanks

Purpose gentle cleanser. Best OTC cleanser available. I had the same issue with clean and clear foaming cleanser, purpose is waaaaaay less drying.

Not Burts. This cleanser did nothing for me at all. I was really hoping that it would work for me, but all it did was dry out my skin, and left a film when i rinsed it off. It didn't do anything for my acne, and with the entire system, i broke out MORE than before.

One cleanser that has worked well for me is Leahlani Skincare honey mask and cleanser, It does have microdermabrasion crystals in it but they settle to the bottom, so you can choose when you want to cleanse or exfoliate. It is not a traditional cleanser but smells great and leaves skin soft and supple and does not strip excess oils.