Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gbl

What Is 'enzyme Treatment'?

i have a scar from a skin graft on my arm , which hasnt been a major concern but when i had my follow up appointment for my ReCell i mentioned it to the doctor. Its a very large hypertrophic scar, which is normal coloured. He said he'd use enzyme therapy on it. I didnt go into detail with him, figuring i'd google it, but im not coming up with anything obvious.

i found a site that said this:

"Serrapeptase also has the ability to digest non-living tissue that is a by-product of the healing response without harming living tissue. Serrapeptase is used to dissolve non-living tissues to include: scar tissue, fibrosis, blood clots, cysts and arterial plaque..

..... Serrapeptase also helps eliminate old scar tissue by slowly digesting all of the dead tissue/scar tissue so that it can be replaced as needed with healthy tissue

Sounds too good to be true???

i was wondering if he meant TCA peels or something...

A TCA peel is not enzyme therapy lol. If he meant TCA peel, he would have just said that.

Enzyme therapy is what it sounds like - treatment with enzymes. I assume you'll be taking it as a supplement rather than applying it?

Worst case scenario: it doesn't work. It's certainly not a popular method of scar removal/improvement. Try it and see how it goes, who knows, maybe it's the "new big thing" and it's more successful and less invasive than going to some quack derm who'll laser your face off and burn it off. Tell us how it goes.

hmm i really cant see a supplement helping to heal a scar!

i looked further into the 'enzyme treatment' and from the website it appears its a topical treatment manufactured by DMK , a course of which would be £1000 ish

www.dmk-uk.com/scarring.asp

This isnt a scar I'm bothered about spending ££££££s on so really just seeing if anything simple might help it a little

Would a tca peel help on hypertrophic scarring? I'd like to flatten the thickened areas a little if possible without major expensive procedures

ilywe8.jpg