Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just can't figure this out. Why some pple can eat whatever they want, whenever they want and they never break out? And we,who are paranoid about even water, still get pimples. It's the same pizza or chocoate, but some of us get acne, some of us don't. I've been reading about this a lot, and I always find this sentence:" Foods you take don't cause acne( unless you have food allergies) it's your body that doesn't digest them properly,it's your poor digestive system" What's wrong with our digestion,liver or overall health? Why our body doesn't accept certain foods? And why other pple can eat whatever they want?

Starting today. No more nuts, low fat, more fruit and vegetables than before, and the supplements you outlined.

I'll check back and let you know how it's working out for me. It'll be like a science experiment.

As a starting point (and my reason for being on this forum..): I currently have 3 large active cysts on my face, light rosacea on almost my entire face, and healing pimples on my chin. The cysts are my main issue, but it would be nice to see everything else clear up as well.

Ok. Tomorrow will be a week. Here's what happened.

I ate a diet of (in relatively descending order from most to least):

Water

Bananas

Oranges

Apples

Grapes

Spring Mix Lettuce

Spinach

Celery

Wheat Grass

Carrots

BBQ Chicken Breast

Salmon

Egg white protein powder

Hard boiled eggs (sometimes ate the yolk, sometimes didn't)

Brown rice (added on the third day)

Supplemented:

Milk Thistle/Dandelion Extract

Multivitamin

Chlorella

Spirulina

Results:

-Cysts have become inactive and are now just scars

-Other acne has pretty much gone away

-I constantly feel like I'm starving

The diet seems to work. I have also lost some fat, and possibly muscle as well. I ate food from the above list approximately every hour or two while I was awake. There was no amount at which I felt full.

A fruit heavy diet is expensive.

Today I splurged and ate pizza. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.

Going to continue with the diet, and keep an eye out for other types of protein powder.

Will possibly update.

Thanks again for putting this out there moon. It is solid advice.

Edited by rbamf

hey moon, in the past 5-6 days i've finally started to eat healthy as well as a lot of fruits and veggies but i wonder why in the past 2-3 days i still grow 5-6 pimples, despite they are all small in size (different with the previous days when I was still using whey protein where the acne was all big).

I wonder if these 5-6 small pimples are still the results of the previous whey protein intake? I have stopped all supplement consumption since tuesday and friday-sunday i still grew new pimples sad.png

before i used supplement (before july) i rarely grow pimple, just like once every week or two

You've been eating healthier for less than a week and you want your acne to disappear - after damaging your body for YEARS?

I am in the process of re-working the whole post with more clear and concise food list and recommendations. I should have it up tomorrow.

I am lookin' forward for that food list and recommendations. Hopefully it will make sense.shifty.gif

Yes, i'll try to put it in layman's terms for you.

Looks wonderful. I would stay away from rice personally (it's really empty calories) - go for some sweet potato/taro instead. As for your avoidance of fish - you do need a quality source of protein. If you want to avoid animal products (which I will highly recommend against), go for lots.. and I mean lots of greens (spinach kale etc) instead (3lbs at least - sounds crazy but not eating meat puts you at a huge disadvantage). Do you take issue with oysters, muscles, or clams? Good luck!

[EDIT]

Are there any bad effects to eating brown rice other than it being empty calories?

I'm trying to gain weight, and I eat a pretty good amount of brown rice because they're gluten free.

Ill buy sweet potatoes sometimes, but they can be expensive sometimes. :0

Brown rice contains a lot of fiber(the type that isn't your friend) and is high in phytic acid (nullifying most of the added minerals in the husk). I'm more partial to white rice, however when eating any such grain - you need to have a very nutritious diet and not rely on the grain for vitamins/minerals. Tuberous vegetables are generally speaking better than all grains in the area of digestibility, low anti nutrients and high vitamin/mineral content.

Eh? Rice doesn't have a lot of phytic acid, it's got less than oatmeal even. If you're cooking it in water, you're going to reduce that amount further and even with small amounts of phytates, it's certainly more healthy than rice that's devoid of the minerals (white rice.) Phytic acid, like everything else when it comes to molecular bonding, has limiting factors. The more minerals something has, the more phytic acid would be required to reduce bioavailability to a point where it's detrimental to humans.

I just can't figure this out. Why some pple can eat whatever they want, whenever they want and they never break out? And we,who are paranoid about even water, still get pimples. It's the same pizza or chocoate, but some of us get acne, some of us don't. I've been reading about this a lot, and I always find this sentence:" Foods you take don't cause acne( unless you have food allergies) it's your body that doesn't digest them properly,it's your poor digestive system" What's wrong with our digestion,liver or overall health? Why our body doesn't accept certain foods? And why other pple can eat whatever they want?

If you're paranoid about water, you have an eating disorder.

Not all bodies are built differently. Not all people's genetics are identical. Not everyone experiences negative effects of unhealthy lifestyles in the same way. Don't assume that just because they don't have acne, they're completely healthy. There's a huge difference between having clear skin and having a body that functions at its peak. Sometimes the two go hand in hand but more often than not in Western society, it just means that they're suffering in other areas of health.

Would you say that a 400 pound person with beautiful and clear skin is healthy?

Hint: they're not.

Eh? Rice doesn't have a lot of phytic acid, it's got less than oatmeal even. If you're cooking it in water, you're going to reduce that amount further and even with small amounts of phytates, it's certainly more healthy than rice that's devoid of the minerals (white rice.) Phytic acid, like everything else when it comes to molecular bonding, has limiting factors. The more minerals something has, the more phytic acid would be required to reduce bioavailability to a point where it's detrimental to humans.

The phytic acid content of rice is high when compared to tuberous vegetables. As i've stated in my recommendations, that people avoid grains. However if people insist on eating specific grains i'm presenting the more digestive tract healthy form. The minerals contained in the husk, and the husk does not readily digest. More over the fiber also strip nutrients (vitamins and minerals) out of the diet. Generally speaking i'm not a fan of high fiber diets - its a band-aid fix for a poor diet. There is a reason that the Japanese have throughout history hulled their rice.

In regards to weight. Putting on weight is a biological process, and doesn't always instantly mean a person is unhealthy. If they gained weight due to modification of there thyroid function or through insulin issues - then yes it's bad. If one just eats a lot of good food it can be considered safe within reason - it would also be a sign that they are nutrient replete - a reason why throughout history women who were NOT skinny were highly regarded. With that said, i'd say most overweight individuals dont fit that classification but if they do eat in excess even partially healthy it would mean that they have excess of the building blocks of life.

Edited by moonbase

Guest Timehealsall

moonbase (or anyone else for that matter) i must ask you... what should i do if i have taken oral antibiotics(doxycycline 100mg 2x a day) for 5 months?

How do i tackle my acne? I believe that taking these antibiotics (i finished my course 10 months ago), has worsened my acne and caused acne i never had before (i.e. sebum plugs/under the skin blackhead type bumps) and gave me severe seborrheic dermatitis.

Also, what type of diet should someone who has taken antibiotics in the past be following?

Well, I was kidding about the water.

But there are not just fat pple with clear ass skin! I just don't understand how does the same damn food function differently in our bodies.f Why does it give acne to me, and it doesn't to my friend. It's not fair. My friend is 20 like me, she eats junk food,drink soda, she doesn't even wash off her makeup sometimes, but her skin is still better than mine. I am paranoid about every single detail in my diet or regimen, but I get acne! And she is completely healthy, she has not developed any other illnesses from western diets. Her digestive system is just better than mine I guess. And sometimes I actually doubt that there is any actual link between acne and diet. I guess it's genetic. My Dad had a severe cystic acne in the same age, so I just got it from him. But unfortunately I have no clue how to struggle with genetic factors.

Edited by amy91

Well, I was kidding about the water.

But there are not just fat pple with clear ass skin! I just don't understand how does the same damn food function differently in our bodies.f Why does it give acne to me, and it doesn't to my friend. It's not fair. My friend is 20 like me, she eats junk food,drink soda, she doesn't even wash off her makeup sometimes, but her skin is still better than mine. I am paranoid about every single detail in my diet or regimen, but I get acne! And she is completely healthy, she has not developed any other illnesses from western diets. Her digestive system is just better than mine I guess. And sometimes I actually doubt that there is any actual link between acne and diet. I guess it's genetic. My Dad had a severe cystic acne in the same age, so I just got it from him. But unfortunately I have no clue how to struggle with genetic factors.

Okay amy, seriously, realax! Did you read my first post. This exactly what it covers - the reason you have acne - and the reason you're friend doesn't.

moonbase (or anyone else for that matter) i must ask you... what should i do if i have taken oral antibiotics(doxycycline 100mg 2x a day) for 5 months?

How do i tackle my acne? I believe that taking these antibiotics (i finished my course 10 months ago), has worsened my acne and caused acne i never had before (i.e. sebum plugs/under the skin blackhead type bumps) and gave me severe seborrheic dermatitis.

Also, what type of diet should someone who has taken antibiotics in the past be following?

Probiotics --- Dr. Ohhiras are the best around (IMO). Eat a very nutritious diet (non strict just no junk food and lots of fruit and veggies)! Gauge results after a few weeks - re-evaluate diet then.

Edited by moonbase

Guest Timehealsall

Probiotics --- Dr. Ohhiras are the best around (IMO). Eat a very nutritious diet (non strict just no junk food and lots of fruit and veggies)! Gauge results after a few weeks - re-evaluate diet then.

tried the probiotics thing (Except i did not take the ones yoou reccomended), i took syntol and culturelle. I also tried the diet thing (veggies/fruits).

Where can i get dr.ohhiras from?

tried the probiotics thing (Except i did not take the ones yoou reccomended), i took syntol and culturelle. I also tried the diet thing (veggies/fruits).

Where can i get dr.ohhiras from?

iherb.com

You don't "try" the diet thing - as the condition of your digestive tract is the root cause of your acne. Proper eating will cure acne.

Hi Moonbase,

I've been wanting to talk to you for a while now. I've read your first post and I completely agreed with everything. The triggers all contributed to my acne. Here is the interesting thing about me and I hope you would be as so kind to reply on this:

I've never eating peanuts when I had acne. A relative of mine works at a nut factory and I would eat bags upon bags of peanuts and I never broke out. Not once. I started eating organic peanut butter and so I was able to get my fats and proteins from that and I was content, along with the occassional salad and sweet potatoes (I would sometimes mix it with water, carrots and milled flax seed).

Heres the problem: Months went by and after a few months, I started to break out with peanuts. I was at a complete loss as to what to eat. Honestly, I can't survive on just sweet potatoes, carrots and flax seed. I even tried sweet potato chips (after draining it with water to eliminate the spices) but that made me break out as well. I clearly need fat and proteins as well.

I purchased salmon along with coconut oil (at your recommendation) last week and I broke out a few just on my nose. Pimples on my nose are the easiest to get rid of so I wasn't too devastated about that. Then I started to break out around my chin and mouth so I had to stop. It is possible I may have added a bit much coconut oil so perhaps I can give sea food another try. Is there a different way to cook fish without the use of oil?

As for fruit......I haven't eaten fruit in over 3 years. I'm really scared of eating fruit as that is one food group that really aggravates my acne. I do recall eating apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries, citrus, and pineapple before. Perhaps it all has to be organic?

What is your take on coconut milk?

Do you advocate again Omega 3 fish oil supplements? I just wish to be sure.

My diet is REALLY restrictive, to the point where my family is very concerned that I may be anorexic and absolutely obsessed with getting rid of my acne. Its quite embarrassing.

Could you please recommend a daily regimen for me and I’ll try it and let you know how I do? Clearly I know I don’t eat much (lucky to get 1000 calories a day, I’m 6’1 around 175 lbs). Personally I’m not too picky with food (as long as I have adequate protein, fat and carb in my system). I would greatly appreciate it.

-Rudy

Hey rudy, thanks for the post. If you can hold tight i'm doing a revamp on the thread. Going to make it really simple including a food list, sample menu all sorts. Just gotta bring myself to finish all the ins and outs.

Hey moonbase, I got through reading about 90% of the thread, and I must say that a lot of misconceptions about what you were proposing have been cleared up (though that's probably also due to a combination of me actually reading this thread, and also educating myself on what a lot of the forum is talking about)

I believe as you rewrite the original post, it would be helpful to include how what you're advocating is different, as well as what you're advocating has in common with most widely accepted 'facts' about diet and acne?

Does that make sense? Haha, I hope it does. It's late over here and I still have homework to do.

I dont believe in vegetarianism. If that about sums it up. 80/10/10 (non veg) may improve ones condition but it's not a long term diet - you need atleast 100g of protein in your diet. Raw foods is good (fruit mainly) but basing an entire diet around it is very problematic. Vegans are confused in my opinion - they forget we're no longer chimps, and we no longer have the digestive system that works with such a diet. We need to eat animals - eating animals is how we become intelligent and sophisticated, taking a step backwards is not beneficial.

Don made a good post on this: http://donmatesz.blo...ets-primal.html and http://donmatesz.blo...egan-diets.html

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/eastwesthealing/2011/04/27/dr-ray-peat-glycemia-starch-and-sugar-in-context

This is a great piece that obliterates anyone's notions about sugar. As i've said - it's the PUFA.

Edited by moonbase

Butter? I use it quite generously, although I have cut out sugar, gluten, and dairy tremendously. Lately I've been so fed up with diet because it seems anything I believe to be healthy for me ends up being, in actuality, damaging. I feel like I am constantly tweaking my diet and cutting things out for fear of it furthering my skin disruptions. I can't exactly afford to do that as I am only 17 and living in a bit of poverty. It causes me a lot of distress. I absolutely am not interested in taking birth control or anti biotics and most definitely not accutane, these being the only options provided by my doctor. So, I looked to diet to be my savior because I have always suspected that it can either cause or prevent acne depending on what you eat. It is only causing me more stress because it seems that everything is contaminated in some way - and when you have the internet at your fingertips you can truly go to town - never finding a satisfying answer. I just feel so uneasy right now knowing that I won't be able to afford or achieve that optimum acne fighting diet.

moonbase, would you consider 1-2 eggs a day and salmon every couple of days too much fat? I often eat 1-2 eggs a day because i get hungry a lot and they seem to help, i also use coconut oil. I also used to eat a lot of nuts because they also filled me up and i never had a problem with nuts. Im thinking about cutting them out for good though and sticking to eggs and salmon. what are your thoughts on b5 also im curious :)

How is this going for everyone that is giving it a try? I was trying to include more fat in my diet to see if it can help with my digestion but it makes my face so oily so i think im going to have to drop the plans for eating fat and just stick to mainly a fruit diet for abit.

Hi Moonbase. I just joined Acne.org just to comment on this post.

I really appreciate you helping all of us out. I hope when I get clear I"ll be as helpful to others.

I am going to try your diet ( I noticed it is similar to the Wai diet) except I like the addition of fish.

I just wanted to get a few things straight before I do:

1) For the first few days I only eat fruits - up to 4000 calories worth ( Im 6"1 and only 160 pounds, the malnourished thing may be too true)

2)On what day can I add fish?

3) what do you add after fish? Can I eat chicken breast eventually?

4) Is a multivitamin (or vitamin E/ supplemental beta carotene) a good thing or would you stop all supplements?

5) Is there anything else that is a must on this diet?

6) Do you wash your face with anything? - Gentle wash and mosturize?

7) How long is the true healing process for the body? I would love to continue a diet like this forever ( I know it is healthy, I know it is good for my skin), but it is hard on social life and the wallet. I would love to move back to a hybrid diet that included chicken and some grains eventually. Do you know for sure if your gut was healed, or if you just finally outgrew acne forever while on this diet? I'm worried about starting the diet ( which I know will get me clear) and then being unable to continue it and reverting back to EVEN WORSE acne, which I don't even want to think about.

Can you please help me. I know I have way too many questions, but I do need solid advice, and I'm trusting you.

Beaksauce

Sorry, I have two final questions that I think you might know the answer to.

I do believe digestion is the main problem for acne sufferers (It makes sense seeing that only some ppl get it and we all eat similar foods)

1) Would you ever take digestive enzymes to break down food? - or does this not seem to be the problem. Is it the inflammation that is hurting us, or the unbroken up food?

2) Could the digestion issues be due to allegies? aka would you get tested for food allergies? or do you think a healthy body would have no such allergies and we should strive for that?

Thanks again. Your advice made my day

Edited by Beaksauce

I really am interested in this whole diet concept. My only issue is as a teenage girl, I need my nutrients. I also cannot make my parents (or myself as well) go out and buy/cook specials food for me. I do not have access to that type of money or the time. I'm also an avid runner, so I need double the nutrients.

Could someone help explain to me what one eats for a meal on these diets? Or how you fulfill your body's needs (besides a butt load of vitamins)?

I have allergic reactions when I eat fish, so I do not think I could just eat fruit to fill myself to be honest!

Edited by AdieuAcne

Sometimes eating a lot of fruit can be bad, I have eaten too much cherries before (3lbs) in one day and it made me throw up the whole night.

There is such a thing as too much fruit.