Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

well thanks for the tips. I've started to eat healthy, with veggies and fruits, just that it's not that easy to maintain this kind of diet for long run...since i live in asia where almost everything is served with rice (there are breads and other carb substitute too if I want to buy them directly... but obviously not in place where you can buy ready meals so I think i have to start all over again)

This is my plan for the morning:

white rice with brocoli and carrot (served meal, full plate)

then 2 pieces of skinless chicken breast (stewed), maybe this will describe it the best: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/700/2

for the afternoon:

2 piece of bread

some other random vegetables (green ones for sure)

1 piece of skinless chicken breast/one stewed fish

for the evening:

white rice again/bread depend on the day

some other random vegetables again

three pieces of fruit (not citrus), i prefer papaya but i would try to vary it

and several hours later after dinner i would eat 2 more pieces of fruit, including green apple.

What do you think?

Update: I have logged into fitday.com and I realize a 7 oz of chicken breast with bone (yield after bone and skin removed) could give me around 30g of protein. I think i would start with just 2 piece of this a day and add one more during exercising day biggrin.png

Someone else also told me I have to remember that the more I eat protein the more I need carb as well, just like what moonbase told me. That means I need to eat more carb too, but what do you suggest for me, moon?

Edited by wokaka

I suggest lots of fruit and vegetables, as I said before. Just eat a good variety of everything if you're not willing to dedicate yourself to a strict regimen. Be sure to eat enough.

Edited by moonbase

maybe the answer to my question should be obvious...So what about caffeine? I am going to TRY to just eat a ton of fruit (as soon as I can get to a store that sells organic) for two days and see if it does anything for me. However I love coffee and would probably lose it if I didn't drink it. I am by no means a health nut and can't see myself eating your diet on such a strict basis everyday for the rest of my life . but think your original post makes sense to me and I have not tried diet to fix my cystic acne problem. I have tried almost everything else (except prescription drugs) so why not? I am trying to put only natural topical treatments on my face. But please tell me if I do this fruit cleanse for a few days, (maybe more) that I can have coffee :( it's a bean right? I know the answer is no, but I am holding my breath that somehow coffee beans make it into the "not so horrible for you" food group. and on a side note....oil of oregano good/bad? you seem to know so much about everything else. Thanks

Hmm, I've never heard of fish oil being bad for you. I'm not doubting your claim at all, but do you happen to have any research that you cuold link me to that says this?

also great post!

@Amy

eating healthy has nothing to do with cutting out foods, it has everything to do with eating enough and the right foods to provide everything your body needs.

Ok,you say that I have to eat enough, but what should I add to my diet in order to gain at least 10 pounds, but in a healthy way?

@Amy

eating healthy has nothing to do with cutting out foods, it has everything to do with eating enough and the right foods to provide everything your body needs.

Ok,you say that I have to eat enough, but what should I add to my diet in order to gain at least 10 pounds, but in a healthy way?

Hey Amy,

Male acne and female acne are pretty much identical in nature. Women usually have less severe acne - though there are exceptions to every rule.

Go to fitday.com - you can use a free account to log your daily intake of foods. To gain weight in a healthy way eat at least 3500 calories a day.

You're going to want to eat 4 meals a day. Separated by at least 3 hours after you finish eating.

For instance, a good meal example to gain weight in a healthy way would be:

Starch:

1 med sized sweet potato

Salad containing:

2 CUP grapes

1 SLICE of watermelon (one cross section of the melon)

1/4 LB Spinach or a mix of greens

2 of either kiwi/plum/apricot/peach/nectarine/etc

2 TBS pumpkin seeds

Meat portion:

~100g (1/4lb) of the following (in order of preference) cooked with coconut oil: Fish //// chicken or turkey (skinless) //// grass fed lean beef ////

You would eat the same sized meal 4 times a day.

EDIT:

Oh and amy, of the breakfast you listed - I wouldn't eat any of that - accept the peppers. You need to max out you fruit intake and healthy starches.

Edited by moonbase

you just contradicted yourself, you're saying eliminate sugar but at the same time telling others to eat lots of fruit? contradiction, how the hell doesnt fruits have sugar?

you just contradicted yourself, you're saying eliminate sugar but at the same time telling others to eat lots of fruit? contradiction, how the hell doesnt fruits have sugar?

Isolated sugar -table sugar - sucrose - etc.

Would I get 3500 calories with the diet listed above?

Yes, likely slightly more.

hey moon, in the past 5-6 days i've finally started to eat healthy as well as a lot of fruits and veggies but i wonder why in the past 2-3 days i still grow 5-6 pimples, despite they are all small in size (different with the previous days when I was still using whey protein where the acne was all big).

I wonder if these 5-6 small pimples are still the results of the previous whey protein intake? I have stopped all supplement consumption since tuesday and friday-sunday i still grew new pimples :(

before i used supplement (before july) i rarely grow pimple, just like once every week or two

hey moon, in the past 5-6 days i've finally started to eat healthy as well as a lot of fruits and veggies but i wonder why in the past 2-3 days i still grow 5-6 pimples, despite they are all small in size (different with the previous days when I was still using whey protein where the acne was all big).

I wonder if these 5-6 small pimples are still the results of the previous whey protein intake? I have stopped all supplement consumption since tuesday and friday-sunday i still grew new pimples sad.png

before i used supplement (before july) i rarely grow pimple, just like once every week or two

That doesn't give me a whole lot to go on. If you want an honest opinion you'll have to tell me exactly what you ate in the day - quantities and specifics.

what i ate in the past 5-6 days are usually white rice, skinless chicken breast (stewed), broccoli (stewed), spinach with tomato (stewed), and egg whites (only one day though, i ate 5 egg whites).

as for white rice, i dont have specific quantities.

For skinless chicken breast, i usually go with 1 skinless chicken breast in the morning (it's not broiler), and half chicken breast in the afternoon, and sometimes another half in the evening. I haven't eaten fish etc.

One of these days i ate 5 egg whites too, im not sure if that cause me these small pimples or not.

As for vegetables and fruits, i've eaten mostly broccoli and spinach. I also eat 2-3 papayas a day, sometimes watermelon, etc.

I know i should have eaten easier utilized carb but it's so hard to find it in southeast asia. 95% everything is served with rice and it's also not easy to find brown rice in the traditional market. I know i can just substitute using bread but do you think that could be the trigger? Because before July (before i start using whey protein) to be honest i never found any trouble eating white rice

Thanks for putting this up!!

I'm gonna give it a shot.

When I was younger, I did eat a horrible diet.

Recently, I've been pretty closely sticking to the paleo diet. My fat intake is the main thing I will have to change. I eat a ton of peanut butter and almonds...

Starting today. No more nuts, low fat, more fruit and vegetables than before, and the supplements you outlined.

I'll check back and let you know how it's working out for me. It'll be like a science experiment.

As a starting point (and my reason for being on this forum..): I currently have 3 large active cysts on my face, light rosacea on almost my entire face, and healing pimples on my chin. The cysts are my main issue, but it would be nice to see everything else clear up as well.

Moonbase, I did come up with a couple questions.

I'm currently taking 2 scoops of Gold Standard Natural Whey protein. Should I stop this for awhile since it's from dairy?

And, I'm taking a natural multivitamin. Is this ok for the experiment?

Thanks

I'm currently taking 2 scoops of Gold Standard Natural Whey protein. Should I stop this for awhile since it's from dairy?

Thanks

I would suggest you to stop, man. I also consumed gold standard optimum whey protein few months to few weeks ago and it gave me horrible acnes all over my face. I switched to ultimate iso sensation 93 and it worsened it. After a week without supplement, i think everything is better but i still get 5-6 small and really small pimples in the recent 4-6 days (no large ones though, with whey protein i got a lot of large acnes).

Whey supplement is not only bad because it's dairy, but more because the hormone in processed whey protein is way higher than other dairy products. There's a theory about this on the net (just google it), i dont know if it's true or not but it does make sense. I think the link was from about.com

I would stick with what moonbase and my uncle told me (he's also a personal trainer but i rarely met him, i just met him last friday). My uncle told me that you dont need supplement to get big, just you need more time to build your muscles and way more discipline eating habits. However, by eating right, your muscles will be more permanent. Also,if you have a weak body, you will find it hard to adjust yourself to consuming daily whey protein. Me, for example, when I consumed ultimate iso sensation 93, i always gas 3-4 times a day and i just felt my body had become weaker. I think I simply can't handle the toxins and chemical ingredients in that product.

If you insist on consuming supplement for your muscle, i would suggest trying carnivor since it's made from beef protein (and not whey). I have heard good stories from people who got bad acnes from whey but they never had one anymore after switching to carnivor. I actually wanted to try that one too, in fact i have bought one, but I would just stick with my uncle's advise and prefer all-natural approach.

Edited by wokaka

Thanks for putting this up!!

I'm gonna give it a shot.

When I was younger, I did eat a horrible diet.

Recently, I've been pretty closely sticking to the paleo diet. My fat intake is the main thing I will have to change. I eat a ton of peanut butter and almonds...

Starting today. No more nuts, low fat, more fruit and vegetables than before, and the supplements you outlined.

I'll check back and let you know how it's working out for me. It'll be like a science experiment.

As a starting point (and my reason for being on this forum..): I currently have 3 large active cysts on my face, light rosacea on almost my entire face, and healing pimples on my chin. The cysts are my main issue, but it would be nice to see everything else clear up as well.

The idea behind the diet is that the majority of your calories comes from fruit.

I am in the process of re-working the whole post with more clear and concise food list and recommendations. I should have it up tomorrow.

@wokaka

I'm not sure what to say, as you're not really following my recommendations. though being in china you should be able to get your hands on yams and plenty of different fruits. white rice isn't the end of the world and has benefits over brown, however it makes the rest of your diet that much more important. My advice is hit up the fish/fruit like it's running out ;)

no man, i dont live in China. i live in indonesia but it's same thing (everything is served with rice). I haven't eaten much fish lately but I would start eating more fruits as well as try to buy some fresh fishes (hard to find them in cities)

Thanks

I would suggest you to stop, man. I also consumed gold standard optimum whey protein few months to few weeks ago and it gave me horrible acnes all over my face. I switched to ultimate iso sensation 93 and it worsened it. After a week without supplement, i think everything is better but i still get 5-6 small and really small pimples in the recent 4-6 days (no large ones though, with whey protein i got a lot of large acnes).

Whey supplement is not only bad because it's dairy, but more because the hormone in processed whey protein is way higher than other dairy products. There's a theory about this on the net (just google it), i dont know if it's true or not but it does make sense. I think the link was from about.com

I would stick with what moonbase and my uncle told me (he's also a personal trainer but i rarely met him, i just met him last friday). My uncle told me that you dont need supplement to get big, just you need more time to build your muscles and way more discipline eating habits. However, by eating right, your muscles will be more permanent. Also,if you have a weak body, you will find it hard to adjust yourself to consuming daily whey protein. Me, for example, when I consumed ultimate iso sensation 93, i always gas 3-4 times a day and i just felt my body had become weaker. I think I simply can't handle the toxins and chemical ingredients in that product.

If you insist on consuming supplement for your muscle, i would suggest trying carnivor since it's made from beef protein (and not whey). I have heard good stories from people who got bad acnes from whey but they never had one anymore after switching to carnivor. I actually wanted to try that one too, in fact i have bought one, but I would just stick with my uncle's advise and prefer all-natural approach.

I always suspected it was causing breakouts. I did stop taking it for an entire month once, and the breakouts persisted. Anyway, I'm not trying to get huge, but I am an athlete, and need the protein. I'm going to stop with the whey. Maybe pick up some of that carnivor. 50grams of protein is hard to makeup with food alone! that's like eating an extra 8 eggs/day (not to mention all the extra non protein additions that come with eating 8 eggs...)

Honestly, I think im in the same boat with you. I've stopped eating whey protein 8 days ago yet i still get new breakouts every 1-2 days. Just the difference is that nowadays all the new acnes are small, sometimes really small, while back then they were all large.

Basically, I know by stop consuming whey my breakouts have improved a lot...but I still get new breakouts.

I think all the bad things inside the whey caused our hormone to be more unstable, that's why it needs time for us to balance it out.

Not sure how carnivor would help but if you google about it "carnivor acne whey" or keywords like that, you would find some people said it does help with their acne. I have bought carnivor myself but i decided not to try it. I decided to go with the all natural approach. I know it's not easy and too much hassles, but I think once we know where to buy, how to cook, etc. we'd get used to it. After all cooking is not that hard unless you are a chef where you need to combine everything to perfect the taste.

and it's not that hard to get 50 grams of extra protein. For example, 200 grams of chicken breast (this is gross weight with bone and skin) will result in about 30-35 grams of protein (after stewed, bone and skin removed)

Just calculate the amount of protein here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

or here: http://fitday.com/ (you have to register first before calculating nutrition data in each food)

Egg white isnt the only source of protein. My uncle (who is actually big, and he's 50 already) told me that we need to differ our protein source if we want to maximize it. You can't just eat one source of protein all the time. Sometimes you need to eat egg white, another day fish, another day vegetable proteins, etc. Make sure what you eat doesn't break you out. I know it's not easy, im still learning myself, but we will get there.

Also, according to my uncle, if you don't have a balanced diet and you still consume whey protein, they will go to waste. Just like what moonbase said, you need a good diet. The more protein you take, the more "everything else" you need to take as well. Consider supplement just as supplement. If you insist on using supplement, use carnivor only after gym session. For the morning and evening as well as non-exercise days, don't consume it.

Edited by wokaka

Again, to get big, you dont just need more protein you need more everything. Instead of focusing on getting protein shakes (and playing detective trying to figure out which effect you) try and eat larger meals. 150 grams of protein should be sufficient and easy to attain through a healthy diet.

I am in the process of re-working the whole post with more clear and concise food list and recommendations. I should have it up tomorrow.

I am lookin' forward for that food list and recommendations. Hopefully it will make sense.shifty.gif

Edited by amy91

Looks wonderful. I would stay away from rice personally (it's really empty calories) - go for some sweet potato/taro instead. As for your avoidance of fish - you do need a quality source of protein. If you want to avoid animal products (which I will highly recommend against), go for lots.. and I mean lots of greens (spinach kale etc) instead (3lbs at least - sounds crazy but not eating meat puts you at a huge disadvantage). Do you take issue with oysters, muscles, or clams? Good luck!

[EDIT]

Are there any bad effects to eating brown rice other than it being empty calories?

I'm trying to gain weight, and I eat a pretty good amount of brown rice because they're gluten free.

Ill buy sweet potatoes sometimes, but they can be expensive sometimes. :0

I am lookin' forward for that food list and recommendations. Hopefully it will make sense.shifty.gif

Yes, i'll try to put it in layman's terms for you.

Looks wonderful. I would stay away from rice personally (it's really empty calories) - go for some sweet potato/taro instead. As for your avoidance of fish - you do need a quality source of protein. If you want to avoid animal products (which I will highly recommend against), go for lots.. and I mean lots of greens (spinach kale etc) instead (3lbs at least - sounds crazy but not eating meat puts you at a huge disadvantage). Do you take issue with oysters, muscles, or clams? Good luck!

[EDIT]

Are there any bad effects to eating brown rice other than it being empty calories?

I'm trying to gain weight, and I eat a pretty good amount of brown rice because they're gluten free.

Ill buy sweet potatoes sometimes, but they can be expensive sometimes. :0

Brown rice contains a lot of fiber(the type that isn't your friend) and is high in phytic acid (nullifying most of the added minerals in the husk). I'm more partial to white rice, however when eating any such grain - you need to have a very nutritious diet and not rely on the grain for vitamins/minerals. Tuberous vegetables are generally speaking better than all grains in the area of digestibility, low anti nutrients and high vitamin/mineral content.

Edited by moonbase