Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLaughFart

Can Severe Scarring Really Go Away?

I don't have pits but Acne left alot of damage to my skin. My skin looks very damaged. I compared this difference of the skin on my hand to the skin on my face, and the skin on my hand is glowing and bright and supple, and the skin on my face looks damaged and old and beaten up.

I'm 19 and wondering if it's possible to get "normal" skin within 2 to 3 years of treatment?

What treatments work for severly damaged skin? Its very hyperpigmented as well.

The reality of it is that severe scarring can't be fixed... not in our day and age. In order to fix a scar you have to replace the lost collagen. It is impossible to create ALL of that new collagen all over again. In the future.. I'm sure there will be stem cells or something in that nature that can fix any scar and bring your normal skin back but in our day and age scars tend to be a lifetime thing.

There are ways to mask the scarring and what I mean is you can almost entirely level a scar with derma fillers depending on the type of scar. Rolling scars are easily treatable with a dermal filler. Fillers tend to be a lifelong treatment but it's the best treatment there is in my opinion. Scars should be treated like any life long disease.. something that will require time/money for the rest of your life.

There is a permanent solution called micro droplet silicone.It is a permanent filler done by a very few margin of doctors. I don't know how expensive it is but I've seen that it works for severe scarring. I'm sure your looking into a $1,000+ though for a permanent filler like silicone. There may be others who can point you in that direction.

TCA is also an alternative solution. I haven't had extremely amazing success in TCA myself but my scars are shallow compared to most people here. I just have one annoying rolling scar that I treat via dermal filler ( saline ) but am looking towards something that last longer ( restylane/perlane/juvaderm )

All in all the message I'm trying to send is that using dermalfillers is your best bet for a leveled/good appearance and there aren't many permanent solutions out there.

Rolling is supposed to work for people too.

They can be improved but you'll likely never have 'perfect skin' unless your scarring is very mild -- then it can look almost perfect. 99% of people don't have perfect skin anyway, sooooo.... I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I'd be happy if you just had to look hard to see my scarring.

my mom says she had some sort of infra red treatment for her acne, but once she had only scars (severe scarring) she just left it and it went away in 3 years

so if you do any sort of treatment, i think it would go away within 1.5 to 2 years maybe

I don't have severe scarring, but when my face became clear my mild rolling scars filled out, no lie. I looked at old pictures compared to better quality pictures of when I had clear skin and NO scarring compared to the other pictures. But then again, I had mild scarring, not severe.

I don't know how someone could have severe scarring without any depressions....maybe you have red marks that haven't faded yet? Anyhow, try Retin-A and within a year I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You'll not be able to get rid of your scars completely, but it's possible to get a great deal of improvement with todays treatment options. Just start saving ;)

The reality of it is that severe scarring can't be fixed... not in our day and age. In order to fix a scar you have to replace the lost collagen. It is impossible to create ALL of that new collagen all over again. In the future.. I'm sure there will be stem cells or something in that nature that can fix any scar and bring your normal skin back but in our day and age scars tend to be a lifetime thing.

There are ways to mask the scarring and what I mean is you can almost entirely level a scar with derma fillers depending on the type of scar. Rolling scars are easily treatable with a dermal filler. Fillers tend to be a lifelong treatment but it's the best treatment there is in my opinion. Scars should be treated like any life long disease.. something that will require time/money for the rest of your life.

There is a permanent solution called micro droplet silicone.It is a permanent filler done by a very few margin of doctors. I don't know how expensive it is but I've seen that it works for severe scarring. I'm sure your looking into a $1,000+ though for a permanent filler like silicone. There may be others who can point you in that direction.

TCA is also an alternative solution. I haven't had extremely amazing success in TCA myself but my scars are shallow compared to most people here. I just have one annoying rolling scar that I treat via dermal filler ( saline ) but am looking towards something that last longer ( restylane/perlane/juvaderm )

All in all the message I'm trying to send is that using dermalfillers is your best bet for a leveled/good appearance and there aren't many permanent solutions out there.

There's a whole thread regarding the use of stem cells. It IS happening and the results are AMAZING. The stem cells integrate with the regular cells and the results are permanent.

For now (because this procedure isn't available to everyone yet), there are many ways to encourage collagen product and stimulate it to see marked improvement. Your skin cells are one of the cells that are constantly replacing themselves; you have moderate control over the new proliferation and maturation of the new layer of skin coming in. TCA cross, for example, can show major improvements. Not only that, but peels also encourage water retention and will even out skintone. Therefore, no only will appearance of scars diminish, but that "plump glow" that is associated with youthful skin will come back.

I don't have any scarring, but I hope everyone knows that SCARS ARE SEXY. I think they give character and I like it!

You cannot markedly improve severe scarring. I just spent another 1800 on silicone microdroplet with the best doc in the country and my skin STILL looks horrible in the light. In fact, I cannot seem to keep my scarring from gradually getting worse due to breakouts I cannot eliminate. A first course of accutane at 120 mg a day for 9 months did not prevent more scarring from occurring. I am currently on a second course and plan to stay on accutane for LIFE. My doc says I can on low dose because every scar I get leaves a deep hole . The silicone, as I previously stated, helped make my deeper ones shallower somehwat, but I can unfortunately still feel them with the tips of my finges. Seems like some of the improvement I thought I had a few months ago dropped and some collagen was lost again there somehow. I am fighting harder than most people on this board having spent over $10,000 over the past two years and $30,000 overall and I can't get the improvement I want. I may take a knife to my skin and excise myself pretty soon. There's just no other option anymore, and I can take the pain.

Edited by ylem

Well maybe on a guy it's "sexy" but, scars on a girl is considered unnatractive.(In my opinion). Unless they have a hot line scar. I've seen a girl with a slashed scar on her face, and it make her look more attractive, like a feirce tiger.

I'm going to look into stem cells. I do have some depressions, mostly scarred pores type of scarring and rolling scars but i have ALOT of scarred pores like all over my nose, my cheeks,temples, chin, side of my mouth, they're everywhere! . Once my skin actually gets completely clear one of these days I'll start TCA peels, and cross. Because my skin tone is VERY uneven and blotchy.

I wouldn't underestimate the power of human innovation. Scientific and technological advances grow at an exponential rate. Some believe that within the decade or so, we will have the means to cultivate complex organs through stem cells. Now you may write that off as science fiction now, but hey - who knows, right? Point is, you have to believe that something better will come.

Right now, the options for treatment may seem limited. However, know that some doctors are already experimenting with stem cell treatment (such as Dr. Khan). And it may not be perfect now, but in a few years, we might just get the solution we are looking for.

You can accept the fact that there is nothing you could do about it now, especially if you have, quite literally, tried everything that you possibly can. But don't ever think that this is a problem that you have to live with for the rest of your life. Like I said before, believe that something better will come.

organs... don`t know. but there`s a lot of stem-cell-growing going on!! there is ppl growing a 3d ear(well let`s say 2nd :D) on their arms and what not..

somewhere secretly, I`m sure, they are doing things you wouldn`t understand and that would exceed any imagination, and prob its not humane or whatever.., that`s why they are not showing all that to public, simply because we are not ready for that..sadly.

but i actually read somewhere how they made a live heart from a rat or mouse which was fully working in the end..by injecting stemmcells in a washed out heart from a dead mouse (it was whitish transparent like jelly) and gradually they made it to beat, but it think there was a prob with how strong was it...

Im trying to be strong, but I am really at an all time low. I cried to my doctor today and he is going to talk to my psychiatrist. Im going back on Zoloft for depression. I was accepting of my scarring,but then I got another breakout that left more scars. I can't get my accutane prescription now because my fly-by-night company terminated the policy. Even the nurse today said she feels so sorry for me because of my scarring. The silicone, while initially seemed to help, does not to appear to have worked as I had hoped on my scars. Another 1800 spent and all that happens is my scars get worse.

Im trying to be strong, but I am really at an all time low. I cried to my doctor today and he is going to talk to my psychiatrist. Im going back on Zoloft for depression. I was accepting of my scarring,but then I got another breakout that left more scars. I can't get my accutane prescription now because my fly-by-night company terminated the policy. Even the nurse today said she feels so sorry for me because of my scarring. The silicone, while initially seemed to help, does not to appear to have worked as I had hoped on my scars. Another 1800 spent and all that happens is my scars get worse.

I'm sorry you're experiencing the mental consequences of acne scarring this fierce, but please understand that others who are BEING strong WITH severe scarring are living on hope and optimism. You have the same choice. By being such a downer on inappropriate places on the board like this, you're spreading your pessimism to those who are fighting this disease everyday, just like you!