Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ab85

Skin Is Constantly Greasy And Dry And Irritated. Looking For Tips.

This is going to be a fairly in-depth post, as it's my first and I'm really hoping to receive some quality suggestions for good skincare options.

I've had persistent mild to moderate inflammatory acne for almost ten years now (I'm 25) and have controlled it to varying degrees of success over time. I followed Dan's regimen for about two years and saw a significant reduction in acne, but my skin really took a beating from the BP and was constantly red, dry and irritated.

About a year ago I finally went to a dermatologist for the first time. I was prescribed Ziana (tretinoin + clindamycin) as I complained about the negative experience I had with BP products. Again, I saw a significant decrease in acne, but more side effects. Now I get very dry skin around the mouth and eyebrow/bridge of the nose area, and extremely greasy skin on the nose, cheeks, chin and forehead. Like just buckets of grease seeping out of my face all day long.

For awhile I will stop using the Ziana to give my skin a break, and I will begin breaking out, but will remain very greasy. I'm not even sure anymore if my face was naturally this greasy before BP (since I've been consistently using acne products for 5+ years in a row) but it seems like it's my natural state at this point.

There are also a couple compounding factors that I believe exacerbate my condition:

- I'm very into lifting weights (squats, deadlifts) which raises testosterone levels tremendously, which in turn increases sebum production (or so I've read).

- As a result of this hobby I weigh about 240 lbs (I'm not fat) so I'm always hot and sweaty in most public places. This summer was 100+ degrees where I live with terrible humidity and I would just burst into a sweat the second I walked outside, leaving me with the choice of leaving sweat residue on my face all day, or constantly patting down with a paper towel, which no doubt irritates my face.

- For some reason I have a really hard time with shaving. I used to use a Sensor Excel and used foaming cleanser for shaving cream, and never got a very great shave. My parents gave me a double edged safety razor for Christmas last year and I experienced massively better quality shaves with much less irritation. However, now, for some reason, the DE razor seems strangely to have become too harsh for my face. In the pictures I'm posting you can see obvious razor burn around the mouth. I'm not sure if the DE razor is better when I'm clear, but harsher on broken-out skin, or what, but this has been pretty annoying lately.

- Any sort of topical treatment, even moisturizer, never seems to absorb into my skin. This includes the Ziana. Anything I put on my face just kind of sits there, immediately making me greasy. I use the Ziana at night only, and I have to wash it off every morning as it's still just smeared all over my face 8 hours later. This makes me extremely reluctant to ever use moisturizer as a) it's just gross and b) I fear having something sitting on my face is going to break me out.

- I can't ever seem to find the perfect cleanser for me. I have both the Cetaphil gentle liquid cleanser and the antibacterial bar. I feel like the liquid is too light and doesn't remove any dirt and oil, and the bar is too harsh and dries me out. I've tried other liquids and bars and usually always find the same thing. I've tried using liquid 3 times a day instead of 2, and using a bar only 1 time, but both of those options don't seem to work well for me.

So, in conclusion, I just want to receive some simple suggestions from someone more knowledgeable than I based on the information and photos I've provided. I'm not looking for perfect skin, I just don't want to stand out as a guy with bad skin. I also really don't want to have to use a million different products. As I mentioned, I feel like nothing absorbs well into my face anyway. My girlfriend has about a 5-6 step daily skincare regimen, and by the end of it her face is flawlessly balanced, not dry or greasy. I've tried using some of the products and by the third step or so, I just end up rubbing off balled up chunks of the previous product I applied.

Also note that in the pics I am having a pretty exceptionally bad day for me acne-wise. The Ziana usually controls those big whiteheads, but I wanted to show my skin at its worst. The amount of oil on my face however is pretty normal for me. This was taken at work at like 10am today, about 3 hours after washing my face. Also, be warned, the pics are pretty revolting.

post-158515-0-26022800-1316830170_thumb.

post-158515-0-20047000-1316830213_thumb.

post-158515-0-52018100-1316830246_thumb.

post-158515-0-22894200-1316830345_thumb.

post-158515-0-26022800-1316830170_thumb.

post-158515-0-20047000-1316830213_thumb.

post-158515-0-52018100-1316830246_thumb.

post-158515-0-22894200-1316830345_thumb.

Guest Timehealsall

This is going to be a fairly in-depth post, as it's my first and I'm really hoping to receive some quality suggestions for good skincare options.

I've had persistent mild to moderate inflammatory acne for almost ten years now (I'm 25) and have controlled it to varying degrees of success over time. I followed Dan's regimen for about two years and saw a significant reduction in acne, but my skin really took a beating from the BP and was constantly red, dry and irritated.

About a year ago I finally went to a dermatologist for the first time. I was prescribed Ziana (tretinoin + clindamycin) as I complained about the negative experience I had with BP products. Again, I saw a significant decrease in acne, but more side effects. Now I get very dry skin around the mouth and eyebrow/bridge of the nose area, and extremely greasy skin on the nose, cheeks, chin and forehead. Like just buckets of grease seeping out of my face all day long.

For awhile I will stop using the Ziana to give my skin a break, and I will begin breaking out, but will remain very greasy. I'm not even sure anymore if my face was naturally this greasy before BP (since I've been consistently using acne products for 5+ years in a row) but it seems like it's my natural state at this point.

There are also a couple compounding factors that I believe exacerbate my condition:

- I'm very into lifting weights (squats, deadlifts) which raises testosterone levels tremendously, which in turn increases sebum production (or so I've read).

- As a result of this hobby I weigh about 240 lbs (I'm not fat) so I'm always hot and sweaty in most public places. This summer was 100+ degrees where I live with terrible humidity and I would just burst into a sweat the second I walked outside, leaving me with the choice of leaving sweat residue on my face all day, or constantly patting down with a paper towel, which no doubt irritates my face.

- For some reason I have a really hard time with shaving. I used to use a Sensor Excel and used foaming cleanser for shaving cream, and never got a very great shave. My parents gave me a double edged safety razor for Christmas last year and I experienced massively better quality shaves with much less irritation. However, now, for some reason, the DE razor seems strangely to have become too harsh for my face. In the pictures I'm posting you can see obvious razor burn around the mouth. I'm not sure if the DE razor is better when I'm clear, but harsher on broken-out skin, or what, but this has been pretty annoying lately.

- Any sort of topical treatment, even moisturizer, never seems to absorb into my skin. This includes the Ziana. Anything I put on my face just kind of sits there, immediately making me greasy. I use the Ziana at night only, and I have to wash it off every morning as it's still just smeared all over my face 8 hours later. This makes me extremely reluctant to ever use moisturizer as a) it's just gross and b) I fear having something sitting on my face is going to break me out.

- I can't ever seem to find the perfect cleanser for me. I have both the Cetaphil gentle liquid cleanser and the antibacterial bar. I feel like the liquid is too light and doesn't remove any dirt and oil, and the bar is too harsh and dries me out. I've tried other liquids and bars and usually always find the same thing. I've tried using liquid 3 times a day instead of 2, and using a bar only 1 time, but both of those options don't seem to work well for me.

So, in conclusion, I just want to receive some simple suggestions from someone more knowledgeable than I based on the information and photos I've provided. I'm not looking for perfect skin, I just don't want to stand out as a guy with bad skin. I also really don't want to have to use a million different products. As I mentioned, I feel like nothing absorbs well into my face anyway. My girlfriend has about a 5-6 step daily skincare regimen, and by the end of it her face is flawlessly balanced, not dry or greasy. I've tried using some of the products and by the third step or so, I just end up rubbing off balled up chunks of the previous product I applied.

Also note that in the pics I am having a pretty exceptionally bad day for me acne-wise. The Ziana usually controls those big whiteheads, but I wanted to show my skin at its worst. The amount of oil on my face however is pretty normal for me. This was taken at work at like 10am today, about 3 hours after washing my face. Also, be warned, the pics are pretty revolting.

looks like seborrheic dermatitis

Weight lifting doesn't increase testosterone levels "tremendously." It's a very slight increase that goes back to baseline levels after you stop exercising. And there's a difference between DHT and testosterone. Testosterone good, DHT (dihydrotestosterone) bad.

I wouldn't worry much about skin irritation from shaving. Definitely get off the BP for a while. If you insist on using chemical cleansers, switch to salcylic acid. It's gentler on the skin. Fix up your diet as well.

OK, I stand corrected on the testosterone issue. It's just always something I'd heard, but I read pretty extensively on it after seeing your comment, and I guess I can rule that out.

My diet is rich in vitamins and minerals. I consume several servings of green veggies per day as well as a multi vitamin pack (with extra A, C, E, calcium and ginseng) and 1g of fish oil per day. I do consume a high-calorie, high-protein diet that includes lots of animal fats, but I also intake a lot of unsaturated fats through EVOO and natural PB. I don't eat sugar. I intake minimal processed foods. I've gone through periods of consuming loads of dairy (nearly a gallon of whole milk per day) and almost none, and noticed no effect whatsoever on my acne or oil production as a result. I'm reading through your signature anticipating any further recommendations you might give...I don't eat soy and my gluten is fairly minimal (although I don't monitor it).

The only other thing I can think is that I have been very stressed recently, unavoidably so as I'm in grad school and working a stressful job as well. I still manage to get my 8 hrs sleep though. Also haven't been getting a lot of sunshine recently either.

What do you recommend as opposed to chemical-based cleansers? I've been interested in natural options for awhile, but never went through with it as I always read that going natural-only never turns out as good as expected. I've been interested in trying Dr. Bronner's tea tree soap, in hopes that the tea tree would combat breakouts, and the jojoba in it would moisturize, but I've read on this site that Dr. Bronner's stuff has too high a pH for facial use.

Edited by ab85