Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ts93

What Is In This Soap That Makes My Skin Break Out?

Picked up this stuff for cheap at the grocery store ($2 a bar) and thought it sounded good. I've been trying to phase out all my complicated soaps, shampoo, conditioner and body care products and switching to organic and natural alternatives.

The ingredient list was simple, and I recognised everything on it:

olive oil, laurel oil, water, lye and salt

States: "No animal fats, petroleum, chemicals, synthetic matter for colour, perfumes, foam or additives". And it's responsibly made. And retailed for $10 a bar. It felt like I was buying the Golden Egg of soaps.

BUT!!!

1. It gets in my eyes. And it burns. I close my eyes, but it still gets in the corners. This in itself is not too bad, I think maybe it's the weather cooling down that is making the corners of my eyes dry.

2. I'm breaking out. Especially on my chin, which has never happened before. I'm also in the middle of my cycle so that could play a part in it, but still, I'm worried! I usually don't get more than two pimples or so around this time. I have like 5 small ones on my chin and around my mouth, which is strange.

3. Olive oil isn't comodegenic right??

4. I can't find any information on whether or not laurel oil is comedogenic or not. I can only find this article which states that it is. Another source says no. What can I believe??

Thoughts, anyone?

Edited by ts93

You're using a soap bar for your face?! That's a definite NO! You should use cleansers, not a bar of soap! It strips the skin of all it's oils plus it'll cause some irritation.

Well it is a bar soap, that causes irritation, and plus its cheap. Unless its someone that is reselling it with tons of experience like Dan, i wont buy it, no one should, its cheap, a good cleanser is around 25 dollars.

It could be the lye in it. I know when I went to the Dr. about my eczema and told them I was using a lye soap because I read that it helped with that condition she said it was the worse possible thing I could use for my skin. Maybe it was me but when I ditched it and went to Dove unsecented it helped a lot. Elf

Well it is a bar soap, that causes irritation, and plus its cheap. Unless its someone that is reselling it with tons of experience like Dan, i wont buy it, no one should, its cheap, a good cleanser is around 25 dollars.

Lol a good cleanser is not $25.

Cetaphil is good and isn't near $25, and Dan's cleanser is great too.

Price is not a factor in how good a soap is. I was just thinking that since this kind of soap has been produced for thousands of years, it would obviously be good for my skin, more than some wacked out Cetaphil cleanser with thirty ingredients produced in some science lab.

I don't recognise the ingredients in Dan's Cleanser (I checked!) the only product I would buy from his store is his organic jojoba oil smile.png

I googled lye and skin and didn't find any results that stated that lye in soap is bad for your skin or can cause you to break out. (I did find that sometimes if there is too much lye in the soap, it can burn the skin. But because this soap was conventionally produced, probably by specific formulas, I'm going to assume an imbalance is not happening here.)

Edited by ts93

SLS and other surfectants dry out your skin and produce unbalanced sebum glands, that is what causes breakouts, it doesn't matter if its bar soap or face wash, they all have surfectants (mainly SLS cuz its so cheap to produce). stop using soap = stop getting break outs

SLS and other surfectants dry out your skin and produce unbalanced sebum glands, that is what causes breakouts, it doesn't matter if its bar soap or face wash, they all have surfectants (mainly SLS cuz its so cheap to produce). stop using soap = stop getting break outs

There is no SLS in the soap. It is not on the ingredients.