Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FaceValues

Allergic Reaction Question/anyone Who's Had Experience With An Allergist

So my throat gets itchy after eating both bananas and almonds, which is probably Oral Allergy Syndrome. I found this article explaining how it's actually an allergy to certain pollen which is triggering this reaction:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/290581-fruits-and-itchy-throat/

I don't have health insurance at the moment and can't afford to go to an allergist in the near future so if anyone has advice on the matter or can answer questions I have that'd be great, I believe the judgement of a lot of you is relatively solid and informative.

So this intolerance to almonds and bananas, I'm gathering, is from allergies to ragweed and birch pollen.

If you are allergic to birch pollen, you may also experience oral allergy symptoms if you eat apples, pears, peaches, apricots, cherries, plums, nectarines, prunes, strawberries, kiwi, carrots, celery, potatoes, peppers, fennel, parsley, coriander, parsnips, hazelnuts, almonds or walnuts.

I'm sorry you can't get to see an allergist =(, but I can try to help a little since I have been before and have food allergies. I get the itchy throat too with some foods. Basically, it means your body recognizes it as a foreign invader and starts to fight the food proteins, and that's why you get inflammation and itchiness. I would stay away from anything that causes that reaction because most likely, it would cause inflammation in your digestive system and could possible harm or cause a leaky gut if you don't already have one. Since you don't get that reaction from those other related foods doesn't necessary mean you aren't allergic to them, but again doesn't mean you are. I would be on the look out for other signs such as stomach pains, constipation, diarrhea, hives, the usual. If you don't have those you should be alright though. Just try them out or you'll never know and possibly miss out on something you could like... In the mean time if you are interested, there is a lot of information on leaky gut and their relation to allergies and acne, etc. I'll try to find some links and put them here, or you can search the boards because I'm sure there's already a lot of info.

im allergic to gluten, i dont get itchy throat though, i get swollen sinuses and glands around my ears, also sometimes sinus infections if really bad. the only advice i can give you is to stay away from anything you notice that causes a swollen or itchy feeling. borie88 summed it up though as far as symptoms. save yourself the hassle it is of going to a food allergist and just stay away from what you already know to be your cause, the only thing theyd do for you really is prescribe some antibacterial meds for infections or symptoms, and most of those wipe you off your feet tired.

This is how my allergy to the prunus family started, itchy throat with cherries. Don't ignore it, it gets worse and worse. I've been avoiding trigger foods for a over a year, all attempts to reintroduce them have been, unfortunately, unsuccessful.

Oddly, I was just explaining the ragweed/pollen/prunus family connection last night.

Baader-Meinhof phenomenon man...

Edited by ayla

Do you notice a change in your skin/general level of inflammation when avoiding genus prunus? Again, I've only experienced tingly throat with bananas and almonds, nothing else yet really. I tried a couple handfuls of cashews with no bad results but those weren't listed in the article from livestrong. I also have been wanting to eat more dates/prunes and that would be lame if I had to curb that interest. Peaches/plums are my favorite. 8(

I don't think I'm sensitive to chamomile tea or fennel but as for the others I'm not to keen on the idea of buying all the things listed and trying them each waiting for a reaction. Ugh strawberries? C'mon, at least let me keep strawberries.

I recently went to an allergist because I would also get the OAS symptoms when eating certain raw fruits and raw hazelnuts and almonds. I'm allergic to ragweed and birch pollen and that's all thankfully :) The allergist explained to me that the proteins in certain foods are very similar to the pollen and therefore they can trick our body and cause the allergic reaction. He said it would never advance to anything serious though because the proteins are destroyed by stomach acid, and also cooking. I've heard conflicting views though, as some people have told me their allergies started as just an itchy mouth but then got much worse (as in anaphylactic shock).... so who knows.

I personally just avoid eating the foods that bother me unless I'm going to cook them or skin them, since they don't bother me then. But get this, I can't grab an apple and eat, like just bite into it, or I'll have a reaction. But if I cut it up into slices and eat it, I'm fine. So I'm still eating the skin and everything, it's weird. I have to pass on small, un-skinnable fruits though like cherries and dates if they're raw. Nuts are fine if cooked or blanched.

I hear ya though, I would NOT want to give up strawberries! You really can't peel them and what's the point of a cooked strawberry?

I recently went to an allergist because I would also get the OAS symptoms when eating certain raw fruits and raw hazelnuts and almonds. I'm allergic to ragweed and birch pollen and that's all thankfully smile.png The allergist explained to me that the proteins in certain foods are very similar to the pollen and therefore they can trick our body and cause the allergic reaction. He said it would never advance to anything serious though because the proteins are destroyed by stomach acid, and also cooking. I've heard conflicting views though, as some people have told me their allergies started as just an itchy mouth but then got much worse (as in anaphylactic shock).... so who knows.

I personally just avoid eating the foods that bother me unless I'm going to cook them or skin them, since they don't bother me then. But get this, I can't grab an apple and eat, like just bite into it, or I'll have a reaction. But if I cut it up into slices and eat it, I'm fine. So I'm still eating the skin and everything, it's weird. I have to pass on small, un-skinnable fruits though like cherries and dates if they're raw. Nuts are fine if cooked or blanched.

I hear ya though, I would NOT want to give up strawberries! You really can't peel them and what's the point of a cooked strawberry?

Hey it sounds like we have the same allergies~ ;)

So I should be cooking nuts into bars and muffins and things as opposed to eating them raw? I could just try that and see what happens. Do all the things listed in the original post bother you or just some of them?

Do you notice a change in your skin/general level of inflammation when avoiding genus prunus? Again, I've only experienced tingly throat with bananas and almonds,

Almonds are a member of genus prunus, btw. You might want to try avoiding all of them.

And you could follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a bit while working on healing any intestinal damage you have.

Do you notice a change in your skin/general level of inflammation when avoiding genus prunus? Again, I've only experienced tingly throat with bananas and almonds,

Almonds are a member of genus prunus, btw. You might want to try avoiding all of them.

And you could follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a bit while working on healing any intestinal damage you have.

Right, right. I was just saying I've never experienced symptoms with peaches, plums, etc.

I definitely think that's a good idea, my stomach has been churning a lot lately and I think it's because of my diet change. I'm finding red meat/heavy carbs hit my stomach pretty hard now and am taking out red meat and integrating quinoa/garbanzo beans/gluten free pasta very slowly back into my diet. Would you say this is a decent method for intestinal healing? There are lots of topics on the subject and it seems to me like I'm doing everything right, minus a couple sweet things in the past couple days. Definitely want to up my fruit intake, guess I'll google "hypoallergenic fruits" after posting.

Thank you for being such a resource to this forum, alternativista. 8)

Well I guess it depends. Cooked fruit and nuts never bother me so I feel fine eating them. I ty to avoid anything that causes a reaction though.Which is raw cherries, plums, dates, hazelnuts and almonds. I am fine if any of those things are cooked first. Oh and apples, but like i said before, for some reason if I cut them up first I can eat them raw.

Edited by spectacled_owl

The more I'm reading about healing a leaky gut the more I'm reading about the benefits of things like milk thistle, chamomile, etc.

"Popular ragweed-related herbal medicines include dandelion, calendula, echinacea, burdock, chamomile, boneset, safflower, coltsfoot, chicory, feverfew, milk thistle, mugwort, yarrow and valerian."

http://www.associate..._pg2.html?cat=5

Does anyone know of anything that mimics their properties?

Side note: One of my housemates used to work with bees and says bee pollen is used to treat allergies.

Edited by corgisoulpower

The more I'm reading about healing a leaky gut the more I'm reading about the benefits of things like milk thistle, chamomile, etc.

"Popular ragweed-related herbal medicines include dandelion, calendula, echinacea, burdock, chamomile, boneset, safflower, coltsfoot, chicory, feverfew, milk thistle, mugwort, yarrow and valerian."

Side note: One of my housemates used to work with bees and says bee pollen is used to treat allergies.

Raw bee pollen granules are great for allergies. However it's not an immediate fix - your body actually makes antibodies to nearly everything you eat and it only sometimes causes a catastrophic reaction. The bee pollen will sensitize your body to the allergens, and train your body. They have many other fantastic properties and I would suggest giving them a go. Allergies can usually be traced to an over active immune system, and have a deeper cause (the gut).

Edited by moonbase

Raw bee pollen granules are great for allergies. However it's not an immediate fix - your body actually makes antibodies to nearly everything you eat and it only sometimes causes a catastrophic reaction. The bee pollen will sensitize your body to the allergens, and train your body. They have many other fantastic properties and I would suggest giving them a go. Allergies can usually be traced to an over active immune system, and have a deeper cause (the gut).

Cool, any more information would be greatly appreciated if you wanted to post it here or PM me.