Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi!

I've had a tough time with my acne for about a year now (pictures can be seen here) and I've been trying really hard not the get so down about it. I've tried telling myself that I'm beautiful inside and out but I can't believe this lie anymore. Last year I was really depressed and down but I told no one and I though about suicide.

I feel as if even my insides have been tainted by acne, I used to be so happy and "charismatic" but again, it feels as if it's all been tainted and I'm angry and sad and I can feel my spirit turning gray.

I've become so upset and so down and I now know more about the skin than any normal 16-year old should know.

What makes it even worse is that I'm a girl, and I see boys my age that have gorgeous skin and I just get even more sad.

I constantly worry what people think, and I imagine them thinking that I'm discusting for taking such bad care of myself.

But I cannot see what I have done to deserve such bad skin, I dwell it every day and the two times I have to go and wash myself is the two times that I loathe myself the most.

I have set up rules and I try not to touch myself, I make sure my clothes are as clean as possible and I always put them on before washing my face so I won't smear anything. I don't wear make up for unformal moments and I feel so exposed every day.

It's come to the point where I freak out if anyone touches or even comes near my face and I hate it so much. If anyone touches my skin I can't see how they can do it without vomiting or running to wash their hand.

I cannot go on living like this, I feel so chained down. I'm not even asking for perfect skin, I just want the bumps and redness to GO AWAY and LEAVE ME ALONE.

Can someone relate? I feel so lonely because no one around me has as bad skin as I do.

The love that is left in me wishes that no one should suffer from acne, it's nothing but pure hate and evil. I wouldn't even wish acne on the people that I hate the most.

i feel the same way. I'm going crazy having this "mild skin issue" on my face that i cut off my hair w/ sizzors. I dont go out or have any friends i dont talk to anyone...i just want to die like you to. LIFE SUCKS WITH ACNE OR SCARS

i feel the same way. I'm going crazy having this "mild skin issue" on my face that i cut off my hair w/ sizzors. I dont go out or have any friends i dont talk to anyone...i just want to die like you to. LIFE SUCKS WITH ACNE OR SCARS

I know!! And people that don't and have never had a real problem acne think that they know everything about good skin, they're just fortunate.

Well, what are you trying to get rid of acne?

Don't let acne win. :\

I've tried several things, amongst others:

Neutrogena

Formula 10.0.6

Clinique

Basiron

Stioxyl

Epiduo

I'm currently on ProActiv but it's making my skin so oily and shiny and new pimples have come up, not even after two weeks anything is better.

I know!! And people that don't and have never had a real problem acne think that they know everything about good skin, they're just fortunate.

Neutrogena

Formula 10.0.6

Clinique

Basiron

Stioxyl

Epiduo

I'm currently on ProActiv but it's making my skin so oily and shiny and new pimples have come up, not even after two weeks anything is better.

eeeeh, ProActiv didn't work for me. I have heard that it doesn't work as well as they say anywho! Psssh.

Well, do you know if your acne is hormonal?

You can try more natural face washes!

Neutrogena

Formula 10.0.6

Clinique

Basiron

Stioxyl

Epiduo

eeeeh, ProActiv didn't work for me. I have heard that it doesn't work as well as they say anywho! Psssh.

Well, do you know if your acne is hormonal?

You can try more natural face washes!

I hear ya, ProActiv is shit, it doesn't work well unless you actually WANT acne

Hi, I know this forum has been created years back but I guess we are of the same age. May I know how is the condition of your skin right now? I have been suffering from acne since puberty. It's really annoying and I have switched from western to chinese medicine.

Hi I'm new into these type of things and I just wanted to say is that I have modern acne but my acne comes and goes and leaves red marks and scars I don't know if my acne is hormonal or not what do you guys think?

I feel the exact same way. Looking in the mirror is painful, and cleaning my face with my hands ss awful because all I can feel  are the bumps. I hate my acne and how it makes me feel. I feel like its never going to end.. :(

My sister and I have been using Thayer's witch hazel. It's a clear bottle with a red top. I think it works on my sister better than it does on me. You should try it.
If you do, order it online from Thrive market, for me and her it was like 6.99 or 9.99 

Please. Look into diet changes. Sugar and dairy both make acne worse. Get to an allergist to see if your allergic to anything as food intolerance make acne worse. Nothing over the counter has cured me. I've seen the most success with changing what I eat! I know the feeling. Much love.

How are you doing? 
I understand how you feel. I have low self-esteem and no motivation to go out on my rest day because of my acne. I gave up on dating because I always break their expectations. No matter how hard I try to love myself, acne makes it hard for me to do so. 

I am the same. I feel my acne limits me livings me life as I should be. I see other kids my age and they’re living their life as I should be living mine, I think wow it must be nice to just to the same things like go to Walmart in a baggy sweatshirt but have flawless skin and still look great. Meanwhile if i do that i look dirty and I one wants to look at me. I always think if I just didn’t have acne or if these scars or dark spots weren’t here I would totally go outside and feel comfortable in my body and talk to other kids. But I do have acne and scars and dark spots so here I am in my room all day, all week, yelling at my family, them thinking I’m overly aggressive and have bad behavior, but actually I hate myself for always looking dirty and gross be at of my acne. I think one day I could look beautiful or have a boyfriend that loves me and only wants to be with me, and think why don’t I have a boyfriend now I’m funny, I’m smart, I’m adventurous, but wait I have acne and I can’t stand other people looking at me, because we both know I have acne and it looks ugly. I hate thinking about the days I’ve wasted and spent crying or hating myself or hiding in my room under my covers because I don’t want anyone to see this. So yea, here I am again with acne that makes me feel rock bottom when it’s my birthday this weekend and all I wanted was to look ok for one day. 

Posted (edited)

These articles might help a little in changing your hate to self-compassion. They helped me a lot. (I'm 28 and have them constantly and now on the course of breaking my habit of picking them all the time.)

https://www.acneeinstein.com/self-compassion-acne/#gref

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/7b6f32be-e7b6-4ca6-a79f-f8919995bd5f

And I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Noone cares about your acne when they look at you. It's part of many people's life. Everyone knows it can happen. They have their own issues on their mind, the last thing they will be bothered by is your skin. Just like you, their first concern is their own problems. So why worry what others think about your skin? Who cares? That is not what they will remember you by. To prove my point try to recall everyone's skin condition you have ever met. They remember your personality and what you did together. Isn't that what you remember? When you realise that your skin doesn't matter at all in the big picture you can start giving yourself a break and become less stressed and less stress can reduce breakouts, so it's a win-win. It can be a huge relief when you let go of all that hatred against acne. Acne is not something to be ashamed of. It's ok, it's part of human life. What would happen if instead of looking at it as a fight (actually against yourself) you accept that this is how you are and treating your acne means being kind to yourself. You are giving the best to your skin and yourself. You have probably learnt everything about it there is and treat it to your best and this is a great achievement by itself. Some people wouldn't even make the effort to look into it, just buy anything from ads, for example.

Also, I believe it is impossible to know what others think exactly. There is no possible way at this point in history. So when you think others see you ugly that's actually still your own thought, never theirs. Therefore, you might as well believe that they think you look great. Which is most probably the case. Why should we presume that they have bad intentions, what if they happen to be nice and accepting and like your looks including your head/skin? We are all human and imperfect=perfect in our own way. If you hold your head up and smile on the street/anywhere all they will see and remember is your smile.

I truly hope you can live your life to the fullest the way you'd like it, don't let anything hold you back! You are amazing the way you are! (You are one of us!)

With love, E

Edited by EDT

Hi, I know I already had a really long comment, sorry!

I wanted to add that I wasn't always this positive and know this vicious circle of hate-acne-hate and been coping with self-esteem issues rooting from childhood for a long time. Then I found my way of treating my skin (since every skin/body is different) and also had some help from a therapist. And the thoughts above help me, that's why I figured I'd share them. Turns out it's never too late to change how you look at things, including past events.

Maybe one day you too find a way to perceive everything that happened to you as something that had its purpose and led to something. That all those crying made you look the next day for a solution, a new treatment that could help. And you wouldn't know what you know today without that push, without that feeling.

It is easier said than done, I know. It takes time and practice for sure (to reframe), like every other change takes time. Then you get used to it. I just would like to confirm that it's possible. You can have acne and feel happy. You deserve to be happy, it does not depend on your skin. It's your life and you are in charge of it.

Hope I could help.

With love, E

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. He was fully human and fully God at the same time. He died on a cross showing his infinite love for us so that we can repent of our sins and be forgiven. Please search for Calvinism

Calvinism:

1 total depravity

2 unconditional election

3 limited atonement

4 irresistible grace

5 perseverance of Saints