Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tiredofacneat25

Hormone Testing For Adult Acne

I have been struggling with acne for years. After doing everything possible under the sun from dermatologists to facials to topicals, natural supplements, dietary changes, I finally decided to go see a naturopath.

I have cystic acne along my jawline, chin, low cheeks and that comes and goes continuously. After ruling out other factors, she decided that the first step would be to do a saliva hormone test in order to see how my testosterone and estrogen levels looked like.

Results came back and turns out my testosterone levels are normal, but by comparison my estrogen related hormones are low. This is the most factual and useful info I've had in a while!

Now, I'm on a natural supplement regiment to boost my estrogen related hormones and help my liver process them better. Next steps are progesterone cream, and possibly changing birth control, etc.

I highly recommend seeking out a saliva based hormone test and seeing if that helps you!

I've heard both things---that it can help or make it worse. It's a crap-shoot I guess! lol eusa_pray.gif

Do you know if there are emotional side-effects to progesterone creams?

A nurse I saw recently suggested I do blood-testing as well for several reasons---mostly because of my thirst issue which has gone on for several years now. I drink loads of water and I'm just always thirsty. I don't believe I'm diabetic but it's quite possible I have a blood-sugar issue. My mother and grandfather are hypoglycemic. I read on a post here recently that said blood-sugar issues could contribute.

The testing also provides info on potassium and other vitamin levels.

Thanks for the info!

I'm 33, fed up & off of my birth control regimen. We have been trying for another child & as a result my acne is out of control. I look like a monster without makeup.. When using the restroom at work, I avoid looking in the mirror. I'm considering a visit to the dermatologist, however what can I take that wont effect my plans of getting pregnant? In the past birth control has been the ONLY thing that ceased my acne.

I think you could get a series of topical medications that would help calm down your skin while trying to get pregnant. It is worth a try! And, good luck trying to get pregnant. :)

I'm 33, fed up & off of my birth control regimen. We have been trying for another child & as a result my acne is out of control. I look like a monster without makeup.. When using the restroom at work, I avoid looking in the mirror. I'm considering a visit to the dermatologist, however what can I take that wont effect my plans of getting pregnant? In the past birth control has been the ONLY thing that ceased my acne.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go back on bc. I'm not trying to get pregnant, I got an IUD 1 1/2 yrs ago and my acne got worse but I feel so much better. I have a sex drive, I'm sensitive to touch, I lost a little weight---and I just don't want to have to exchange all that for the sake of my skin. And yeah, what the heck are we supposed to do when we want to get pregnant?????? I feel your pain......crazy.gif

I have been struggling with acne for years. After doing everything possible under the sun from dermatologists to facials to topicals, natural supplements, dietary changes, I finally decided to go see a naturopath.

I have cystic acne along my jawline, chin, low cheeks and that comes and goes continuously. After ruling out other factors, she decided that the first step would be to do a saliva hormone test in order to see how my testosterone and estrogen levels looked like.

Results came back and turns out my testosterone levels are normal, but by comparison my estrogen related hormones are low. This is the most factual and useful info I've had in a while!

Now, I'm on a natural supplement regiment to boost my estrogen related hormones and help my liver process them better. Next steps are progesterone cream, and possibly changing birth control, etc.

I highly recommend seeking out a saliva based hormone test and seeing if that helps you!

Interesting, Are you female or male? I'd imagine if your testosterone levels are normal you must be a guy. What are you doing to increase your estrogen levels? Did the doctor explain why low estrogen means in terms of skin and acne? I have heard soy milk can boost estrogen but /shrugs

I've seen some recent improvements and wanted to share it because I think it has to do with hormones: I've been taking a Wild Yam herbal supplement from the natural food store here (not pricey--under $10 or $15), and I think it's helping. I've read it has similar properties as Estrogen. My acne is down to just a couple easy zits and my scars are lightening.

I'd love to know if anyone else things it helps.......