Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wicky

On The Brink...my 30 Year Journey

I have been a member of this board for years and found it helpful and hurtful at times. In those years I have comfort from strangers but have not been able to cure or change my "skin issues". I need some advise and input from those who are familiar with any and all parts of my story.

Im 44 and have suffered with skin issues for 31 years. I have done Accutane (at 13yrs old) and then birth control for years. My skin was never perfect but it at least let me lead my life. I worked, traveled, met a guy, married and had children. In the last two years my skin has gone from bad to worse. It has always been front and center in my life, even before my children sometimes. I know that sounds terrible but I'm being honest here and I have spent countless hours in the bathroom crying and examing my skin that I ignored my young children.

Two years ago I was having trouble in my chin area with what the derm diagnosed as Perioral Dermatits. He put me on doxycyline but I had a very bad reaction after 4 days and stopped. I developed a weird rash and itching on my arms and feet. Over the next year I would periodically keep giving Doxy a try because I felt like there was no way I could be allergic. During this time I also started on Spironolactone. I was trying to solve the over production of my sebaceous glands and the clogged pores I was getting in my chin area and in turn started developing these weird red hive like bumps or welts on my jaw line. I was not prone to pimples and this was a new component to my skin issues. I had also devleoped Rosacea like symptoms during the last 5 years or so as well. Fast forward to a year ago. I had had it with the daily bumps and started a Food Journal. I tracked everything that went into my mouth and started eliminating gluten, dairy, sugar, and most processed foods. I started taking supplements like Fish Oil, Flax, Evening Primrose Oil, Zinc, Nicotinamide and nothing has helped and has only gotten worse. I lost 40 lbs and have developed what I call Food Phobia. I feel like everything that passes my lips will give me bumps. Im scared to do anything and scared not do to anything.

I have also done several Vbeams, Smoothbeams and Dermasweep procedures. Again no results. Still redness, large pores, broken caps, bumps and millions of clogged milia like clogged pores. How could this be? I then decided to seek a naturopath and she was no help whatsoever. She had me trying an herbal concoction called Skin Deep. It was suppose to have anti inflammatory herbs and did abosolutely nothing. I then had a sample of my hair tested for food allergies as the Allergist I went to found nothing I was allergic to. I went to testyourintolerance.com and sent my sample to them. They supposedly test the DNA thru your strand of hair and come back with intolerances. At the time I was eating eggs, lots of oat, and corn. I was avoiding wheat, and dairy. I was also eating alot of hummus. Guess what came back intolerant!! You got it. Maize (corn), hummus, eggs, and oat. Several other strange things came back as well but I found this very strange...I contacted the company and asked them how could this be. Was it because these things were in my system while the other things like Wheat and Dairy werent? They basically said large quantities of certain things pressent in your body will produce quickly like intolerances and results...Im so confused and dont know what to make of all this...

I have recently started taking B5 in hopes of reducing my sebum and making it thinner so it wont clog. I feel like everytime I add a new supplement or food something happens that sets me back...I started thinking that my body was dehydrated due to the Spiro and maybe it was trying to produce more oil and in turn clogging me. Even though my clogging issues were here before the spiro I decided to wean down from 100mg to 25mg. Things are way worse now!!! I dont know what is contributing to these daily welts on my neck/jawline? I feel as though I'm rambling and I apologize as my level of desperation is very high. I have a derm appointment on Monday, and she wants to try low dose Accutane to see if will calm down my skin. I just want to be happy and I dont know how to get there if I cant get a handle on what is doing this to me...I've done so much in the way of helping my skin internally, why have I seen positive results?

I had acne for thirty years and was given all kinds of prescription drugs including accutane. And I can't believe they gave you accutane at 13!!!

Anyway, my skin cleared completely in less than 2 months from the day I drank my last soda and began avoiding high glycemic meals and processed foods in favor of real, whole nutrient dense foods. Also, the severe cystic acne I used to get on my neck and jawline was an allergic reaction to citrus which I actually figured out a long time ago, but I still had oily skin and other forms of acne. But you could have an issue with anything.

The best way to find intolerances is via a methodical elimination diet.

Good luck.

Also, check out the link "Good Things for Acne" in alternativista's signature.

It sounds like acne mounts some serious stress on you. I'm sure you know that being overtly concious and stressed over your skin is truly not good for it, at all. In fact, my state of mind was perhaps the most crucial factor involved in clearing my 9 years of acne.

I appreciate the comments but Ive tried many of the things you've both suggested. I tried the elimination diet for a very long time and my acne is actuall worse now than when I ate normally. I eat pretty descent but cannot get a handle on why I wake to new bumps every day. I need some relief soon because Im falling apart. I dont work and basically spend hours each day focusing the ugly state that my skin is in. I ate to even wake up every day. Im losing myself over this...And when I started the accutane at 13 it wasnt even FDA approved if you can believe that!!!

I dont have a answer for you but your not alone in this.I've tryed so many things over the years & nothing has worked.Im losing hope & dont know where to go next.

I dont understand why we deal with this at are at any age im 42.Its heart breaking

Edited by onelittleone

I appreciate the comments but Ive tried many of the things you've both suggested. I tried the elimination diet for a very long time and my acne is actuall worse now than when I ate normally. I eat pretty descent but cannot get a handle on why I wake to new bumps every day. I need some relief soon because Im falling apart. I dont work and basically spend hours each day focusing the ugly state that my skin is in. I ate to even wake up every day. Im losing myself over this...And when I started the accutane at 13 it wasnt even FDA approved if you can believe that!!!

What do you mean by 'the' elimination diet? What and how did you eat?

Is it getting worse because you are getting more upset and stressed? This can be a major factor in all kinds of health issues, including acne. You can't let it bother you like that. How do you sleep? Do you get outside into the bright light daily?

No one and no health condition gets worse from 'eliminating gluten, dairy, sugar, and most processed foods.'

Edited by alternativista