Notifications
Clear all

The Necessity And Benefits Of Sulfur

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/22/2011 10:17 am

The reason we have threads raving about raw onions, garlic and epsom salts. And one of the main reasons we benefit from Green Smoothies and why we have a 138 page thread discussing them.

Sulfur is vital to the structure of your cells, enzyme function, liver function, to your metabolism--(carb metabolism, insulin function, cell mitochondria), and a major component to some vital antioxidents such as glutathionine. Also needed to produce taurine. And it's antimicrobial fighting all sorts of fungi, bacteria and virii. Good for you topically and orally.

Sulfur bonds are required for proteins to maintain their shape, and these bonds determine the biological activity of the proteins. Sulfur is also required for the proper structure and biological activity of enzymes. If you don't have sufficient amounts of sulfur in your body the enzymes cannot function properly, which can cascade into a number of health problems as without biologically active enzymes, your metabolic processes cannot function properly.

Sulfur also plays an important role in:

• Your body's electron transport system, as part of iron/sulfur proteins in mitochondria, the energy factories of your cells

• Vitamin-B thiamine (B1) and biotin conversion, which in turn are essential for converting carbohydrates into energy

• Synthesizing important metabolic intermediates, such as glutathione

• Proper insulin function. The insulin molecule consists of two amino acid chains connected to each other by sulfur bridges, without which the insulin cannot perform its biological activity

• Detoxification - by activating detoxifing enzymes in the liver, antimicrobial/fungal

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/22/2011 10:24 am

Dr Stephanie Seneff (a researcher at MIT) things a deficiency is a contributing factor in obesity, heart disease, alzheimer's and chronic fatigue. She considers heart disease to be caused by a defficiency in cholesterol sulfate. And cholesterol sulfate is essential for the body to make vitamin D sulfate which she says is the form needed for many of vitamin D's functions because vitamin d sulfate is a water-soluble form that can travel freely in your bloodstream, whereas the unsulfated form needs LDL (the so-called "bad" cholesterol) as a vehicle of transport.. And we must make it from UVB rays and cholesterol sulfate.

So, again, Vitamin D sulfate is water soluble and travels freely in the bloodstream while unsulfated vitamin D is fat soluble and must be transported by LDL cholesterol. And the body makes it from sulfur and cholesterol and UVB rays.

And She hypothesizes that if sufficient amounts of sulfur is available, it will act as a decoy to glucose, effectively diverting it to reduce the sulfur rather than glycating and causing damage. This would have the beneficial effect of reducing

See her theories in the below articles.

http://articles.merc...10917_DNL_art_1

http://www.westonapr...lfur-deficiency

http://people.csail....le_wasting.html

Read the comments in the articles as well. There are some good ones. Such as the lady who put epsom salts in her hot tub instead of the usual chemicals. I don't like to take baths, but I could go for that.

Study on vitamin D sulfate published in the Journal of Bioligical Chemistry - They seem to be disproving any theory that water soluble vitamin D sulfate had any important role -- but from skimming, it looks like they are only talking about bones. Which Dr Seneff said that it was fat soluble D that was part of bone growth. And it looks like they were talking about vitamin D sulfate administered orally. http://www.jbc.org/c.../2/823.full.pdf It cites other studies that supported the importance of vitamin D sulfate. Something to follow up on.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/29/2011 9:04 am

This is a blog all about sulfur. It's just called 'Stephanie's Blog' and all it has is a first name and that the blogger is female and a researcher. Kind of weird. I don't know if it's the same person. This post is about sulfur, cholesterol sulfatehy and glucose metabolism. Doesn't cite or link to anything and specifically says it's about her theory: http://stephanie-on-health.blogspot.com/2010/09/4-sulfur-and-glucose-metabolism.html

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 09/29/2011 12:36 pm

The reason we have threads raving about raw onions, garlic and epsom salts. And one of the main reasons we benefit from Green Smoothies and why we have a 138 page thread discussing them.

Sulfur is vital to the structure of your cells, enzyme function, liver function, to your metabolism--(carb metabolism, insulin function, cell mitochondria), and a major component to some vital antioxidents such as glutathionine. Also needed to produce taurine. And it's antimicrobial fighting all sorts of fungi, bacteria and virii. Good for you topically and orally.

Sulfur bonds are required for proteins to maintain their shape, and these bonds determine the biological activity of the proteins. Sulfur is also required for the proper structure and biological activity of enzymes. If you don't have sufficient amounts of sulfur in your body the enzymes cannot function properly, which can cascade into a number of health problems as without biologically active enzymes, your metabolic processes cannot function properly.

Sulfur also plays an important role in:

• Your body's electron transport system, as part of iron/sulfur proteins in mitochondria, the energy factories of your cells
  • Vitamin-B thiamine (B1) and biotin conversion, which in turn are essential for converting carbohydrates into energy
  • Synthesizing important metabolic intermediates, such as glutathione
  • Proper insulin function. The insulin molecule consists of two amino acid chains connected to each other by sulfur bridges, without which the insulin cannot perform its biological activity
  • Detoxification - by activating detoxifing enzymes in the liver, antimicrobial/fungal

Note: As part of being a vital part of cell structure, it's a major part of the mucin linings in your body, such as the digestive tract damaged by gluten, antibiotics, and NSAIDs.

Sources

Sulfur containing Amino acids Methionine, and Cysteine, (which is synthesized by your body but requires a steady supply of dietary sulfur).

SULFUR PHYTOCHEMICALS - From Allium (garlic, onions, leaks), Brassicas and greens (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale, spinach ) tumeric (in curry and mustard) contain unique sulfur-containing phytonutrients, such as indole-3-carbinole (I3C) and sulforaphane.

Sulfur is derived almost exclusively from dietary protein, such as fish and high-quality (organic and/or grass-fed/pastured) beef and poultry. Organic pastured eggs, legumes, nuts, garlic, onion, brassica veggies, kale, spinach, tumeric, dairy, coconut and olive oil, hard water.

Although it's only going to be abundant in those plants if the soil contains sulfur, and our soils are becoming increasingly depleted by our unsustainable, environmentally damaging corporate farming practices. Buy organic. If you grow veggies, add sulfur. Epsom salts is one way.

Topical sources: Hard water, sulfur/hot springs, Magnesium Sulfate aka epsom salts.

See the Green Smoothie thread. Other ways to get your sulfur from onions, garlic and veggies: salads, salsas, chimichurri, pesto and other such raw garlic sauces. Stir fry and curries. Sulfur is somewhat damaged by heat so don't overcook and get some things raw. Chop veggies and let sit before cooking. The chopping crushes cells and gets enzymes working to release nutrients, enzymes that will be destroyed by cooking. For the most benefit, make eggs with a method that doesn't fully cook the yolk - poach, sunny side up or whatever.

Supplements:

N.A.C - Form of cysteine available in supplements

SAMe - Form of methionine available in supplements

MSM - sulfur containing supplement, well known for softening skin. (breaks some people out, myself included)

GLUTATHIONE - important anti-oxident made from Cysteine, Glutamic acid, and Glycine.

General stuff about sulfur-

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/

http://articles.merc...10917_DNL_art_1

http://www.acne.org/...age__hl__sulfer

What supplements did/do you take to get clear, alternativista?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/29/2011 8:00 pm

Well, before I learned about how much spiking blood sugar screws up your body, I was taking zinc, B-complex and C which made my skin a lot less oily and i rarely had any inflamed acne on my face. But it was when I started avoiding high glycemic meals and stopped drinking sugary drinks that my skin cleared. I don't recall what supplements, if any I was taking at the time.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 09/29/2011 9:00 pm

Well, before I learned about how much spiking blood sugar screws up your body, I was taking zinc, B-complex and C which made my skin a lot less oily and i rarely had any inflamed acne on my face. But it was when I started avoiding high glycemic meals and stopped drinking sugary drinks that my skin cleared. I don't recall what supplements, if any I was taking at the time.

So you aren't taking any these days?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/30/2011 9:43 am

Not for acne. I take a good multi. D. I've been taking Chasteberry Vitex for the past year to reduce hirsutism. I take C and krill oil depending on how I eat that day/meal.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/11/2013 11:37 am

Also, for the production of Taurine a major component of bile. And bile plays an important role in removing things from your body- excess hormones, cholesterol, 'toxins'. etc. And is also important in fat metabolism. Those that break out from fats should look into it.

Taurine is made from sulfur containing amino acids and other sulfur containing compounds found in plants. Greens and brassica veggies are super food sources of it. But some people, and cats, have insufficient amounts of the enzyme needed to product it.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 03/12/2013 4:39 pm

Sulfur is great stuff, i believe the sulfur in Epsom salts is the reason why liver flushing always cleared my acne. have yet to find an effective sulfur supplement...

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 03/13/2013 7:44 am

Well my doc told me a while back to use Sulfur D12 from DHU, I bought it but have yet to start using it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/14/2013 9:11 am

Well my doc told me a while back to use Sulfur D12 from DHU, I bought it but have yet to start using it.

Do you make green smoothies?

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 03/14/2013 9:44 am

I used to make smoothies, not always the green kind, but I would use onions frequently which are rich in sulfur as well, I am also eating a ton of eggs, both seems to help, but I would need an improvement of probably about five to eight times of what I am experiencing using onions and eggs.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/14/2013 7:40 pm

I forgot to include the role of sulfur amino aids in methylation, which affects your DNA, both I repair and in epileptic change. I'll have to expand on that later.

More info in the epigenetics thread, 'recent advances thread, etc