Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mngirl32

I really love this website!

I am 32, married with 2 kids. I have suffered from acne since I was 13. It was severe in high school, especially my back. I got made fun of a lot. I could never go swimming or wear pretty dresses with a low back. It cleared up quite a bit in my twenties and I changed so dramatically with my new self esteem. I lost weight, worked out, bought lots of swim suites. My 20s were the most amazing time in my life because I looked good and received so much attention where in high school, I felt like a freak. I married an extremely attractive man, who has never had one insecurity his whole life, and a beautiful ex wife on top of it! I have had to maintain my acne throughout the years with different antibiotics, but it has always cleared pretty quickly.......until now! My face is exploded with acne and I am trying benzamycin which normally cleared everything right away but has only made it worse. My husband is being a real jerk about it, having never had a zit in his life and expecting me to always be gorgeous too, he will say, "what is happening to you?" and "gross!" when he looks at me. It isn't nearly as bad as high school but he puts me right back to that old feeling of feeling terrible about myself. I have a dermatology appt, not til November though:( I feel like this could ruin my marriage, really I do. It is so lonely having acne. You feel like you are the only one. I found this site and it has been helping me a lot. I just pray my kids get my husbands genes and not mine. I would hate for them to have this struggle.

Oh, wow... I'd have hoped your husband would be more supportive of you. :( Just be assured that you're most definitely not the only one, everybody here is struggling too and we understand what you're going through. It's hard to explain to people who don't understand it because they've never had to go through it.

You are not gross. Acne does not make you an ugly person, and I'm sorry, but your husband needs a smack upside the head if he's going to attack you like that. Keep your chin up, don't let him grind you down! And you know what, even if your kids do get acne, they'll have you as a mum so they won't face the sort of criticism you're facing. You'll be there to support them and tell them that they're beautiful regardless of their skin.

Thanks for your support. I know my husband has no idea of the pain that he causes me by making fun of my breakouts. It's just been very long hard struggle with highs and lows when it comes to my self esteem which seems to revolve around my acne. It is hard when you each a certain age and you should only have to worry about the occasional wrinkle but there you are still applying benzol peroxide every night like a teenager, hoping for your sits to go away. Ugh!

Wow, sorry to hear you're not getting the kind of support you deserve. Even if someone doesn't have direct experience of what you're dealing with, it doesn't justify being insensitive about it. I was bullied through my school years about my acne so that kind of stuff really gets to me. Sometimes, the emotional side of things and that feeling that you're going it alone because the people around you can't relate can be worse than the acne itself.

If I were in your position, I think I'd be making it quite clear that you need the support and that a bit of sympathy and understanding would be much appreciated. That's the very least you deserve. Gutterflower was spot on with what she said and I was thinking the very same thing.

Here's hoping the Benzamycin helps clear things up. It may well be that it's caused an initial breakout but that's a common thing when starting a medication, even if it's one you've taken before. Once that starts to clear up, fingers crossed that things continue to improve.

Remember that you're not on your own in this. The Org is made of so many people who have experienced struggles with acne in general, adult acne and the impact it can have on life, so everyone here will understand how you're feeling. Here's wishing you the very best of luck. :)

So sorry you are going through this. I am 37 with 3 kids and lately my face has gone crazy! One should not have to deal with wrinkles and zits at the same time. My husband is nice about it though. He is also one of those lucky ones who only has had a pimple here and there! My derm. put me on an antibiotic, retin a .025 and benzaclin cream in the am. It has only been a little over 2 weeks but it is working wonders! Hang in there until your appt.!