Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

a picture of total health/ what foods are breaking you out now?

if i could break TOTAL HEALTH down to one concept, i would have to say it would be your ability to effeciently and completely digest food to extract nutrients, but its the many things that get in the way of that process that i want to try to explain here.

Your digestive tract contains ten times the amount of bacteria then there are normal cells that make up your body, yet invisible to the naked eye, so these bacteria are very small and are small enough to enter any one of the cells of your body The toxins they produce are even smaller and can potentially reach any area of the body to affect regular functioning, if produced in a great enough number to overide your bodily defenses. could they be implicated in acne to affect cellular process on the skin? thats possible and very likely.

Our body gets rid of bad bacteria that is consumed in meals and the air we breathe, partly, by regular contractions of intestinal muscles in a process referred to as peristalsis which will allow transient or temporary non resident bacteria which have a harder time adhering to intestinal villi, to be readily excreted, leaving little time for them to multiply. when this process is disrupted and their is a lack of regularity and intestinal transit time increases, pathogens can more easily multiply within the digestive tract due to the food staying there a longer amount of time then is normal, thereby increasing the likelihood then bad ones will grow and present a problem.

Intestinal muscles need vitamins/minerals/protein and fats to work, but they also need lots of blood, which brings me to my final and most important point. The nature of blood flow to the intestines is equally or largely dependant upon actions of the mind particularly when in an anxious, fearful or worried state. When in this state of mind, blood is directed away from the intestines, to go to the legs and arms to either fight or flee from an enemy or any sort of real or perceived danger, and intestinal peristaltic action is reduced, leading to potential multiplication of bad bacteria, that will either eat your food before your digestive enzymes have a chance to digest them, or before you have a chance to absorb them, and create toxins that your body will have to deal with, possibly leading to conditions like acne. their is also a term called bacterial translocation, where bacteria then enter through a permeable condition in the intestine or intestinal permeability, and infect one of the organs, or the blood. it has been found that up to 80% of the blood can be redirected away from the intestines, leaving only 20% for the intestinal muscles to perform contractions, this will have a negative impact on the bacterial balance, if continued for a certain amount of time.

So if you are wondering why everyone is saying why some sort of food breaks them out, somewhere within the words i just typed, is a very likely explanation. those foods never broke you out before, and other people do not have acne due to these foods, it is possible that there was some long term disruption in peristalsis for any of the above reasons, and you have acquired some bacteria during that time, and now that bacteria, or that disruption in peristaltic action persists to this day. you food is being maldigested and some bacteria may be producing toxins that are disrupting cellular cycles in your skin.

Improving your diet is a great idea, but avoiding all the foods that break you out, possibly giving you some eating disorder which leads to a worsening of health in some other area, is not a good plan. eventually that plan will fail as even some very healthy foods will be breaking you out, like some fruits. The massive doses of vitamins plan will fail too as most just become toxic in high amounts.Or you could take probiotics, yogurt or fiber supplements but you never needed these things before, so its the complete understanding of the human body which will then make all these crazy things seem unnecessary and a waste of time. Its kind of like too much focus on diet alone is another DRUG in that you are simply toying around with the symptoms or effects of some other greater cause, and im saying there is another variable more closer to a true first cause, that you can be affecting instead of messing around too much with your diet.

If there is one new revelation you could get from this post, that may be unlike any other post you will ever read on this site, its that it is the state of mind you wish to affect or alter as an independent variable in your health, from moment to moment/day to day and the ways you may go about doing that, which i wont entirely go into here, but its the general state of mind that is anxious worried or fearful and the long term consequences of the bodily changes can have on your health. What you can get from this post is a good reason WHY you should solely pay attention to your psychology/state of mind alone as a major variable to health, but i wont go into exactly how to do that here, i believe the HOW to be a little more subjective and personal prescription. But one guideline is similar to emotional honesty and to allow yourself to dislike or like a certain area of your life , feel you have the right to those choices, and be honest with yourself about your feelings toward something and your internal experiance of it when you are aware of it, but my thoughts arent entirely together on the psychological part, so thats all ill say for now but this is the WORK to affect this psychological variable. This is a variable that will be most important only after you have consumed all the nutrients your body needs. I like to consider the possibility that their is a particular range of diseases that are stress related, and we simply see the physical manifestations of chronic psychological phenomena, what i suggest is, it is the psychological phenomena which needs to be understood, when this can be treated correctly, all the physical manifestations from the long term adverse psychological phenomena will return to normal. It is the psychology and those links to health that aren't so clear or aren't very well understood yet, or not emphasized very often on this site.

There is actual scientific evidence linking acne to digestive disorders and Anxiety to digestive disorders and acne to anxiety. i tried to make it as scientific as possible, using the hardest of facts about the human body to construct my argument, that hopefully you will find on your own research or experiance to be true.

some studies-

A study of 1641 patients with gastrointestinal disorders 1379 (84.1%) showed state anxiety, 1098 (67%) showed trait anxiety

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18422970

risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases included: age; duration of local residency; halitosis; gastric reflux; abdominal bloating; constipation; sweet food; spicy food; family history of acne; late night sleeping on a daily basis; excessive axillary, body and facial hair; excessive periareolar hair; and anxiety

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18422970

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in rosacea: clinical effectiveness of its eradication.(strongly supporting the ability of intestinal bacteria and the toxins they produce to affect the skin)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....0,f1000m,isrctn

Other ways to affect what is going on in your digestive tract is to to never eat late at night, give yourself at least 6 hours before going to sleep for your meal to digest, this will help deter food from sitting in your intestines during sleep to feed bad bacteria. also eat smaller meals if possible. Anything with antibacterial properties will be beneficial.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Improving your diet is a great idea, but avoiding all the foods that break you out, possibly giving you some eating disorder which leads to a worsening of health in some other area, is not a good plan. eventually that plan will fail as even some very healthy foods will be breaking you out, like some fruits.

Well, yes, of course avoiding things to the point that it causes a deficiency or you develop an eating disorder would be bad.

Intestinal muscles need vitamins/minerals/protein and fats to work, but they also need lots of blood, which brings me to my final and most important point. The nature of blood flow to the intestines is equally or largely dependant upon actions of the mind particularly when in an anxious, fearful or worried state. When in this state of mind, blood is directed away from the intestines, to go to the legs and arms to either fight or flee from an enemy or any sort of real or perceived danger, and intestinal peristaltic action is reduced...

You have that backwards... when in a heightened stress/alert state, blood actually flows away from the extremities, and close to the heart/brain/lungs/core musculature via vasoconstriction of the peripheral blood vessels. I don't know what effect this has on peristalsis, though it's pretty well known getting scared enough (high stress...) can cause evacuation of the bowels i.e. "scared sh*tless".

...eventually that plan will fail as even some very healthy foods will be breaking you out, like some fruits.

That is total fallacy. One person's boon is another's bane. Some foods are not meant to be consumed by certain people, plain and simple. Think about food consumption possibilities in a geographical and chronological context Forget paleo & the grain consumption debates, forget "neolithic foods" arguments and what homo sapiens evolved eating. Think about the vastly different types/quantities/qualitites of food distinctly available to the various regions of the world, and think about how incredibly different people around the world look and act. There is no blanket nutritional approach; no single protocol or list of foods that one must abide by in order to achieve health. The ultimate health secret is fully realizing how various foods impact your body, and determining the optimal foods for your body. Nutrigenomics is the way of the future my man.

Having said that, it doesn't negate your entire post; I fully agree megadosing vitamins/supplements probably isn't the greatest idea, and the the emotional/stress side of this is key, but often and easily overlooked.

Intestinal muscles need vitamins/minerals/protein and fats to work, but they also need lots of blood, which brings me to my final and most important point. The nature of blood flow to the intestines is equally or largely dependant upon actions of the mind particularly when in an anxious, fearful or worried state. When in this state of mind, blood is directed away from the intestines, to go to the legs and arms to either fight or flee from an enemy or any sort of real or perceived danger, and intestinal peristaltic action is reduced...

You have that backwards... when in a heightened stress/alert state, blood actually flows away from the extremities, and close to the heart/brain/lungs/core musculature via vasoconstriction of the peripheral blood vessels. I don't know what effect this has on peristalsis, though it's pretty well known getting scared enough (high stress...) can cause evacuation of the bowels i.e. "scared sh*tless".

...eventually that plan will fail as even some very healthy foods will be breaking you out, like some fruits.

That is total fallacy. One person's boon is another's bane. Some foods are not meant to be consumed by certain people, plain and simple. Think about food consumption possibilities in a geographical and chronological context Forget paleo & the grain consumption debates, forget "neolithic foods" arguments and what homo sapiens evolved eating. Think about the vastly different types/quantities/qualitites of food distinctly available to the various regions of the world, and think about how incredibly different people around the world look and act. There is no blanket nutritional approach; no single protocol or list of foods that one must abide by in order to achieve health. The ultimate health secret is fully realizing how various foods impact your body, and determining the optimal foods for your body. Nutrigenomics is the way of the future my man.

Having said that, it doesn't negate your entire post; I fully agree megadosing vitamins/supplements probably isn't the greatest idea, and the the emotional/stress side of this is key, but often and easily overlooked.

thanks for the comments drizzler, i have taken the time to re-evaluate my statements about the stress response and the changes in blood flow, out of respect for the points you brought up, and im always the type of person that is willing to recheck the truthfullness of my own beliefs, again and again, regardless of how SURE i think i am, an obssesive compulsive scientist perhaps. checking and rechecking right?? haha.

here is a quote and a link as a reference to the claim-

within the autonomic nervous system, activation of the sympathetic branch(via the release of ACTH) prepares organs for the fight or flight response by dilating pupils and bronchi, increasing the force and the rate of the hearts pumping action, constriction of blood vessels, secretion of epinephrine, and decreasing peristalsis.

reference link,see second sentence- http://books.google....0system&f=false

i would like to have provided multiple sources for additional support, but i can only invest so much more time into this post, which pays me nothing, haha. at the very least the person who wrote the book has written seemingly many decent books up to a seemingly high intellectual standard, it seems the statement i made about the nature of the intestines and blood flow, is likely a correct one.

-whether or not there is a right diet for a particular person in accordance to our genes, i would have no clue or comment, i have no real experiance in thinking or researching this area. only thing i know is that people with white skin seem to retain the production of lactase enzyme through life as darker skin tones tend to decrease lactase enzyme output after 30 or so. otherwise we all have the necessary enzymes to digest any food that seems appealing to the senses, sometimes our senses decieve us, but not that often. Humans have always been highly motivated to import foods from far off places(spice trade) and expand the human palate, that has always seemed pretty natural. i actually just bought some new mexican spices today to make authentic mexican food, epazote and annato , i have never used them on a regular basis, do you think there is any danger in consuming them now? probably not, but they make my old food taste better, im not suffering for that i dont think. tastes good to mexicans and good to me. maybe skin color was just evolved for how close to the equater you lived in, an extra protection from vitamin d toxicity, thats it, just a guess though. African americans have a harder time with vitamin d levels, as far as i remember that has been established, they have a high rate of colon cancer and breast cancer.

thanks for the comments drizzler, i have taken the time to re-evaluate my statements about the stress response and the changes in blood flow, out of respect for the points you brought up, and im always the type of person that is willing to recheck the truthfullness of my own beliefs, again and again, regardless of how SURE i think i am, an obssesive compulsive scientist perhaps. checking and rechecking right?? haha.

here is a quote and a link as a reference to the claim-

within the autonomic nervous system, activation of the sympathetic branch(via the release of ACTH) prepares organs for the fight or flight response by dilating pupils and bronchi, increasing the force and the rate of the hearts pumping action, constriction of blood vessels, secretion of epinephrine, and decreasing peristalsis.

reference link,see second sentence- http://books.google....0system&f=false

i would like to have provided multiple sources for additional support, but i can only invest so much more time into this post, which pays me nothing, haha. at the very least the person who wrote the book has written seemingly many decent books up to a seemingly high intellectual standard, it seems the statement i made about the nature of the intestines and blood flow, is likely a correct one.

-whether or not there is a right diet for a particular person in accordance to our genes, i would have no clue or comment, i have no real experiance in thinking or researching this area. only thing i know is that people with white skin seem to retain the production of lactase enzyme through life as darker skin tones tend to decrease lactase enzyme output after 30 or so. otherwise we all have the necessary enzymes to digest any food that seems appealing to the senses, sometimes our senses decieve us, but not that often. Humans have always been highly motivated to import foods from far off places(spice trade) and expand the human palate, that has always seemed pretty natural. i actually just bought some new mexican spices today to make authentic mexican food, epazote and annato , i have never used them on a regular basis, do you think there is any danger in consuming them now? probably not, but they make my old food taste better, im not suffering for that i dont think. tastes good to mexicans and good to me. maybe skin color was just evolved for how close to the equater you lived in, an extra protection from vitamin d toxicity, thats it, just a guess though. African americans have a harder time with vitamin d levels, as far as i remember that has been established, they have a high rate of colon cancer and breast cancer.

I would like to add that while reading that book, it was stated that up to 80% of the blood that is normally available for digestion is shifted away to the brain and muscles for the fight or flight response, leaving only 20% for intestinal muscles. i had no idea it could be that much.

I was watching a documentary that talked about the amount of blood in the intestines being shifted away during fight or flight responses, very interesting stuff. I think one of the biggest problems today is that people tend to see stress as this invisible force, something that's just in the head.

I was watching a documentary that talked about the amount of blood in the intestines being shifted away during fight or flight responses, very interesting stuff. I think one of the biggest problems today is that people tend to see stress as this invisible force, something that's just in the head.

i would say for a good amount of time on and off through my life i would have easliy been consired mentally ill according to at least wikipedia definition

from wiki-

A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern generally associated with subjective distress or disability that occurs in an individual, and which is not a part of normal development or culture.

subjective distress, i suppose that means its something generally unobservable(non-objective) by others, and generally not experianced by two people simultaneousy, it is somewhat an individual reaction to something.

for many years there has been an unspoken rule within my family, where expression of negative emotions or even opinions that drastically differed from those held by my parents was sort of a source of shame, and these patterns had continued somewhat into adulthood, and to the point of becoming part of my subconcious mind, there was a general hiding of my real self from others, and then eventually it was so buried i could not find it myself. you kind of forgot which desires were truly yours, or had they become an extension of someone else's desires. culminating in the end to a ," why the hell am i doing this??was this something i had even wanted for myself?" or " do i even like this at all?".

psychology is strange, i dont know whether it is a science or what the hell.

I know what you mean, psychology can be quite a trip imo. It's funny when you stop and think how many things that we might not like about our parents are things we do ourselves. In the case of shame, I found that I just had to disconnect from some of my family so that I wouldn't feel guilty, if they won't accept you for who you are and what you think, they don't deserve to have that special emotional connection with you. You can still talk to them, but if you have to build some walls up for your own health, that's what you need to do. For a long time, I was stressed out about things going on in my family, but after a while I realized that I could still keep in touch with them while not being overwhelmed with stress. I found that meditation was helpful in figuring myself out. A couple things Jung has said...

People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul.

Is it possible to be mentally stressed without realizing it? I always thought that I was not stressed, since I never panic or anything, but maybe it's a perspective thing. Like I don't know that I'm stressed until I become not stressed, and then I would have something to compare my mental state to. I guess I'm asking because diet changes have not improved my skin nearly enough, so is stress something everyone should consider, even if they don't think they are stressed out?

Is it possible to be mentally stressed without realizing it? I always thought that I was not stressed, since I never panic or anything, but maybe it's a perspective thing. Like I don't know that I'm stressed until I become not stressed, and then I would have something to compare my mental state to. I guess I'm asking because diet changes have not improved my skin nearly enough, so is stress something everyone should consider, even if they don't think they are stressed out?

i have experianced similar times where i can only tell if i am stressed when i become not stressed, we are wired to adapt to things and that can accumulate slowly in small increments so that we dont notice them. but also i believe our general brain function makes us more sensitive of things like this. i also see that sometimes we can be biased in a situation and we distort some of our emotional states/information, because we deem them an inconvenience to improve them or take care of them, a sort of, the hell you know is better then the hell you dont know type of thing, or even a basic fear of risk/lack of self confidence to improve our emotional well being.

on a more general note, my opinions have changed slightly from the time i originally wrote this topic, i believe there is a reciprocal relationship between intestinal health and psychological health, in the original post, i wrote about the mind acting upon the body and affecting digestion, but the opposite is true as well, a messed up gut has profound and even greater effects upon the functioning of the mind, more so then the pure psychological variable of stress. i believe the state of intestinal bacteria to be a more deterministic factor to acne the mind/stress "perception" and health in general, rather then simple stress in and of itself, without any distortion of reality perception due to suboptimal brain/body function, and in this precise way:

fiber and bacterial relationships-

the bacteria in the intestines largely depend on fiber in the diet to ferment into short chain fatty acids, which perpetuates their existence in our intestines and crowd out and kill pathogens that enter in our meals. if we move to a more processed food diet, we begin to starve out the good bacteria we gained at birth while breast feeding, and they may become completely extinct in the gut after a while, or simply become unbalanced which may encourage pathogens which would otherwise pass through the intestines harmlessly, to take up residence and make toxins, by mal-digesting the foods we eat.

the good bacteria that exist on our intestines is the first barrier that is included in the concept of immunity, and they contribute to the functioning of intestinal tight junctions the make the intestine a highly selective barrier where only digested food particles get through and no toxins/bacteria/whole food particles can enter, as opposed to, normal outside skin which is a non-selective barrier where nothing is allowed to get through. when this barrier becomes breached, an immune reaction become necessary to take care of these molecules that may get through the barrier, be it, bacteria/toxins or maldigestion proteins, we can call these invaders. when the invaders get through that provokes an immune response which is referred to as inflammation. now here is where the body acts upon the mind and it has everything to do with inflammation/intestinal barrier function, the body needs to signal to other cells and recruits immune cells and it uses something called inflammatory cytokines, these cytokines have an effect upon the brain affecting melatonin/cortisol rythms that will profoundly effect stress "perception" and brain function, apart from the actual stress that may exist in your life. and also, when bacteria come in contact with the immune system there is a chemical called hepcidin and is involved in iron regulation, is a defense system against invading bacteria where is trys to manage your iron so that bacteria cannot steal it from you to grow, so you absorb less from food intake and there is less iron circulating in your body and more free iron(damaging) in your body then bound iron for usage, iron is required for the production of melatonin and also for teh myelination of nerves, hence brain function, most of your iron content is in your brain due to its large role in brain function and dopamine regulation for motivation. and this is how the body acts upon the mind and the fiber bacterial relationships will determine the way your percieve your life, and consequently affect your acne as well. so there are many possibilitys that could be going on in your gut, bad bacteria maiking toxins, dysregulated bacteria relationships and the absolute worst scenario is missing bacteria that have become extinct in your gut, leading to permamant and chronic issues of digestion and inflammation that are not improved by simply changing your diet, this gives light to the new area in science called probiotics, its not and entirely new concept, but one that is emerging as a great role in our health then previously believed due to advances in science and new research.

It feels like I'm reading a pubmed article. So a lack of fiber causes intesinal permiability, and makes the immune system respond to harmless foods just like with food allergies?

Do you recommend fiber supplementation?

It feels like I'm reading a pubmed article. So a lack of fiber causes intesinal permiability, and makes the immune system respond to harmless foods just like with food allergies?

Do you recommend fiber supplementation?

except unfortunatly i have provided no references, but i assure you, i have done my best to research every premise is a scientific fact, making my theories, highly probable. you can simply look for evidence of my claims yourself if you wish and you will find evidence if you put in the time to do so.

i only recommend fiber supplements under certain conditions, i recommend whole foods high in fiber even grains, especially wheat which seems to be controversial advice on this forum. i believe for most of us a fecal transplant may repopulate our intestines with bacteria we have lost or destroyed over the years, for those who are missing bacteria essential for human health and intestinal barrier function, although its theoretical and not much science exists for doing this yet.