Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amanda_ou812

Cleanser suggestions

Does anyone have and cleanser suggestions that is more of an upscale product that follows the guidelines? I know there are lots of drug store options listed but I would prefer using department store brands or nice online brands. thanks :)

I'm not sure why you would waste the extra money on that stuff. Cetaphil does the trick just fine (and helps combat dryness while on the Regimen), and Dan's stuff works well if you want something less mainstream.

I don't really think you'll get anything extra out of using department store brand or exclusive online brand cleansers.

I agree 100% with Cocobo! You are not getting anything more "upscale" from a department store in the ingredient list on there products! You are paying extra for marketing and the placement on the shelves. $ave your money and by drugstore. Your face cleanser lasts tops 30 seconds on your face and the rest gets washed down the drain. Not enough time to make any impression on your skin(other than cleansing) at all-just a dent in your wallet. A gentle cleanser like Cetaphil or CerVe for dry, sensitive skin works very well. Have oily skin use- their brand foaming cleanser. The "upscale" department brands have generic versions that you see everyday in a drugstore. Most drugstore brands are manufactured in the same facility as their upscale brands. Different label. Different Price. No difference in products. Loreal, Lancome, La Roche Posay, Kiehls-they are all under the same marketing umbrella.

Any mild cleanser that is 100% free of soap and harsh chemicals. One that is skin pH balancing would be an ideal choice. You're paying for the ingredients not the brand.

It totally perplexes me that people think that the price dictates how well something's going to work. No offense, to you, of course! :D I just think you'd be better off using things that are effective regardless of their branding. I've actually found that for me, the more expensive stuff is less effective because they put a lot of fragrance and other fancy crap in their products that my skin doesn't tolerate. When you're fighting acne, the best way to do it is with the bare bones stuff so you absolutely know what's going on your face.

Cetaphil is great, Aveeno is great, QV is great... and none of them are expensive. Is it that you genuinely think that more expensive products work better, or the pretty packaging and what people might think if they see it? (Honest question, I promise I'm not patronizing you!)

Some people seem to like Clinique. I haven't tried it myself, but if you only shop high-end then you could try that. I also like Keihls products but I haven't tried anything aimed at reducing acne. But seriously, what's wrong with good ol' Cetaphil? huh.png If the product works, it shouldn't matter how 'pretty' the packaging is.

Some people seem to like Clinique. I haven't tried it myself, but if you only shop high-end then you could try that. I also like Keihls products but I haven't tried anything aimed at reducing acne. But seriously, what's wrong with good ol' Cetaphil? huh.png If the product works, it shouldn't matter how 'pretty' the packaging is.

I totally agree that upscale does not matter whatsoever...however, I have very oily skin and the Clinique thirsty skin relief gel or spray moisturizer I would say is the best if you really want to go that route. I truly love the spray because you don't have to touch your face and smear it around and it is as lightweight as you can get. I would get it myself if I wasn't so poor! If anyone knows of a cheaper version of the spray I would love to hear. Good luck smile.png

Edit: Oops sorry! I noticed you said cleanser instead. In that case, I would say that anything matching Dan's guidelines is fine and no need to spend more money. I use L'Oreal Go 360 Clean and it removes oil and makeup nicely. I've tried Purpose Gentle Cleanser but I always feel like there is still junk left on my face. I may try Dan's because I hear it lathers and removes makeup in that 10 seconds which I haven't been able to achieve yet!

Edited by Prim

Is it that you genuinely think that more expensive products work better, or the pretty packaging and what people might think if they see it? (Honest question, I promise I'm not patronizing you!)

I would ask the same question. I think that buying more expensive brands is generally a good idea for makeup as those products often (but not always) do work better, but when it comes to skin care I've had much better luck with drug store brands than department store ones.

I don't have any suggestions for higher end brands you should buy because my experiences with them have been either underwhelming or negative, but here are some I've tried and would recommend you don't try: Philosophy, Clinique, Murad, Clarins, Chanel, Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown, Shiseido, Biotherm

Purpose gentle cleanser is awesome. Not very drying and cleanses well. Really does feel as gentle as water like the label says.

I have used Lumiplexion products for over 20 years. Her products are more expensive than store brands, but over 20 years I've kept going back to them because they do not irritate my skin or cause breakouts. I now have my 17 and my 14 year old daughters using the products as well. She specializes in acne care. You can communicate with her directly via phone or email. I can't recommend her products enough.

I have Dan's cleanser, and I find it thin and does not take off my makeup thoroughly. Her cleanser is more expensive, but it will last 3x as long because it's super concentrated, where as with the acne.org cleanser I feel like you have a use a big pumpful to work. With Lumiplexion, I use about a dime size and it foams up great.

She is based in California, products are guaranteed, free shipping on orders over $100, and you get your product fast. I don't work for her, just a happy customer. You can facebook Lumiplexion to see what others say as well. She offers a monthly discount via FB on her products as well. Oh, and the cleansers come in 4 different strengths, mild, normal, balancing, and extra strength. In my family, we use normal and extra strength on my daughter with very oily skin.

Julie