Notifications
Clear all

The stuff that saved my face - Sulfur.

MemberMember
(@jesuspants)

Posted : 09/20/2011 11:54 am

So for over a year, I used the BP treatment with clindomycin lotion and .5% Tretinoin at night.

After the 2nd month, I started to notice results. I started to break out less, and I wasn't as red from the medication. Though I do believe BP increased Hyper Pigmentation on my cheeks, and some are still there today. But anyways, I continued to use this product for over a year, and I noticed that although I wasn't changing anything with my regimen, my outbreaks started to increase. Now, I can deal with a few outbreaks on my face, big deal, but what I couldn't take was my face looking like a tomato.

You know it's really bad when you go out on a date, and you're asked "Hey, why is your face so red? did you get a sunburn or something?" (Why no, it's just all the chemicals I slather on my face to inhibit acne)

After my boss and other friends asked me if I was okay because my face was so red, I decided to say enough is enough! I looked around for other alternative natural treatments and I came across De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment 10% Acne Medication. A link is here: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/de-la-cruz-sulfur-ointment-10-acne-medication-ointment/ID=prod2872361-product

This stuff costs nothing to buy, so I decided to pick some up and use it. I apply it as a mask every night with a few drops of jojoba oil and sleep with it on. It's been 2 weeks now without using BP, and I haven't had one outbreak, something BP NEVER did for me...and the redness from that miserable medication has almost completely receded. I am starting to become a true believer in this stuff and I want to pass on my great experience to all of you.

NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS STUFF!!! Not my dermatologist or my hippy friends! It seems to be a lost secret that out-competes and outperforms the traditional choice in acne medication, BP. Sulfur dries out acne and prohibits the growth of bacteria on the skin even after you wash it off your face. When I wash my face to get the sulfur off in the morning, I simply exfoliate with an apricot cleanser then add a tiny amount of lotion, a few drops of Jojoba, and a drop of Tea Tree Oil for good measure. You can't go wrong with this stuff! Sulfur is amazing, and it will always be around since it is one of the most abundant elements on the planet...and because of that...it's cheap as hell!

I read online that it could be drying, but I had no problem at all switching from BP to Sulfur, and I'm not looking back. I went from Moderate acne with a tomato face to no current breakouts...and a red free face!

If you're thinking of switching, try Sulfur out! It's been a true miracle to me, and I really hope it will be one for you!

MemberMember
(@jesuspants)

Posted : 09/20/2011 12:03 pm

I'm even attaching a photo of myself so you can see. It really has done a lot!

post-145578-0-71896800-1316537954_thumb.

post-145578-0-71896800-1316537954_thumb.

MemberMember
(@mds-pi)

Posted : 09/20/2011 12:36 pm

a 15kb photo from a distance is hardly proof of the results of this treatment, especially without a 'before' picture against which to compare.

thanks for the tip though.

MemberMember
(@jesuspants)

Posted : 09/20/2011 12:50 pm

a 15kb photo from a distance is hardly proof of the results of this treatment, especially without a 'before' picture against which to compare.

thanks for the tip though.

was just trying to show that my face no longer resembled a tomato. i'll upload a new close-up when i get back from my 30 mile bike ride.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 09/22/2011 2:18 am

Sulfur is a good topical. You just need to make sure you aren't allergic to sulfas because it can be really bad if you are. I forget the signs but google sulfa allergy.

This stuff is great but the derms don't push it because it's so cheap now since it's been around forever, kind of like BP. Now, they're making new ones that cost a fortune and they're just sulfur with some added fillers. Your link is probably more effective than the sumaxin they're pushing and which I used.

MemberMember
(@reddixiecup)

Posted : 09/22/2011 2:57 pm

big fan of the Grisi sulfur soap. It was a miracle for me...didn't totally clear me up, but damn close. It's like 1.50 a bar at target too.

MemberMember
(@ameliabright)

Posted : 12/12/2011 2:52 pm

So. Let me just say that I've suffered from mild to moderate acne since I was about 14. I discovered this board two years ago, and it inspired me to look back and think about what products helped my skin the most. I tried proactive a while ago, and while it made my skin so much worse (and I did use it for two whole months, as directed), the sulfur mask they included actually helped. Unfortunately its a small bottle, and kind of expensive, so I never bought more of it. Anyway, as you can see in my signature, I found a sulfur spot treatment and sulfur bar soap made by adovia that have helped me more than anything else. I still break out monthly, even if it is not as bad when I'm taking care of my face and using the sulfur products.

However, I've just read Snow Queen's common "mistakes" thread, where she actually explains why bar soap is a problem (i've heard it before, but just that it was drying for people who didn't have oily skin like me). I've been on the hunt for literally a year now for a liquid sulfur wash, which seemed nonexistent! Of course there is the sulfacetamide sodium wash, which according the the reviews is very effective, but it's prescription only. But here I come to the point: I've just discovered a liquid sulfur face wash WITHOUT ANY of the skin irritants that Snow Queen has listed. I have not tried it (I just disovered it!) but I'm hopeful. It's made by a brand called "Nature Pure," and it's called "sulfur soap-wash." I actually had a lot of trouble finding it online (it's not on amazon), but I can't post the link here. If you can't find it, feel free to pm me.

Sometimes I wonder why sulfur is not used more widely. I assume it's because the smell makes it hard to market, but I also wonder if it's just too effective! Cosmetics companies make so much money selling people product after product precisely because the vast majority of them don't work. Hm! But, yay for sulfur! And if anyone has tried this, let me know!

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/12/2011 7:42 pm

I think it's because it's effective and cheap. Now they have newer sulfur rx products and they're a fortune and no different than the old sulfur products.

I do not like some of the ingredients in the soap you listed. They are very irritating and sulfur is low on the list.

I wonder if you could just wash with a sulfur cream?

MemberMember
(@msabbie)

Posted : 12/12/2011 8:36 pm

Sulfur is one of the oldest treatments existing in the market!

Mineral sulfur is harsher than biosulfur, but both are effective!

You can get mild biosulfur mask from Raya Spa online

MemberMember
(@ameliabright)

Posted : 12/12/2011 8:51 pm

I think it's because it's effective and cheap. Now they have newer sulfur rx products and they're a fortune and no different than the old sulfur products.

I do not like some of the ingredients in the soap you listed. They are very irritating and sulfur is low on the list.

I wonder if you could just wash with a sulfur cream?

do you mean the adovia bar soap, or the Pure Nature soap-wash? And which ingredients don't you like? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/12/2011 8:58 pm

the liquid soap has very irritating ingredients.

MemberMember
(@ameliabright)

Posted : 12/12/2011 10:01 pm

the liquid soap has very irritating ingredients.

Unless I'm blind (it's a real possibility), I couldn't find any of these on the list. Which ingredients are irritating? Thanks!

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Water (Aqua), Glyceryl Stearate, Colloidal Sulfur, Butylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Calendula Extract, Chamomile Extract, Sage Extract, Allantoin.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/13/2011 1:34 am

SLS is the first ingredient. It doesn't list it here, but what I read on their site was camphor, which is a huge irritant. I don't know why it's not listed here, because it's definitely that brand.

"This Sulfur Soap-Wash formula by Nature Pure Labs is enriched with Camphor" Not sure why they use it in their description of the product but not listed in the ingredients...

camphor

Categories:

Plant Extracts, Irritants

Aromatic substance obtained from the wood of a tree common to Southeast Asia, Cinnamomum camphora, or manufactured synthetically. When applied to the skin camphor produces a cooling effect and dilates blood vessels, which can cause skin irritation and dermatitis with repeated use (Sources: British Journal of Dermatology, November 2000, pages 923929; and Clinical Toxicology, December 1981, pages 14851498

If it weren't for the camphor it sounds pretty good.

MemberMember
(@onetwo)

Posted : 12/13/2011 4:35 am

I just started clearasil sulfur 8% treatment, and it works somewhat, but 5% bp kept me clear, with this im getting a few breakouts.

I think i may try tea tree oil, but your link is 10%, maybe that would work better.

Unfortunately i hate how my face looks so rugged and aged on bp so i quit.

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 12/16/2011 11:58 am

I remember using that sulfur ointment when my acne wasn't that bad and it burned like crap eusa_silenced.gif (when I took a shower I couldn't even stand getting my face near the water )

It works amazing for those clogged pores/pimples but I didn't really want to keep using it because it burned and dried badly.

Many recommend it and i guess its more typical in mexico , im hispanic so my moms friend recommended a sulfur soap for me not so long ago and my mom bought it but Im already using the regimen eusa_snooty.gif (even though im paying and my parents dont know im trying to HELP my acne) . And you know BP doesn't burn or make my face red which is WEIRD , but I've used BP before so IDK . I have pretty sensitive skin but my skin is reacting to BP better , I only use it at night but since its bearly 4 weeks Im not giving up yet lol

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/17/2011 12:33 am

I bought this stuff and am going to try and make my own cleanser with it. :) I'll let you guys know how it goes.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 12/23/2011 1:17 pm

My daughter's acne gradually went from mild to moderate quickly when she was 12. We tried the acne.org regimen, but she was allergic to the BP, as it made her itch quite a bit. This was true for both my daughters on this particular BP. However, I could tolerate it without a reaction.

We tried some OTC sulfur treatments like Clearasil, but her skin just kept getting worse. I have used Lumiplexion products on and off for many years, and after revisiting their products noticed they now carried a sulfur/resorcerol (sp?) similar to the Clearasil brand but without the tint. She went on a regimen of their products to include a salicylic acid med (like a toner), extra strength face wash, the sulfur medicine, and a sulfur mask. It took a few months, but her skin has cleared about 85%.

I do feel BP is the more effective med if you can tolerate it, but if you can't, sulfur is a good option. My older daughter actually is using Lumiplexion's BP med now, even though she had been allergic to acne.org's BP. She has had no reaction to it, and it has been keeping her clear. So one BP med is not the same as the next. It's possible additives in one may irritate you; however, you may tolerate BP from a different manufacturer fine.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 12/23/2011 1:38 pm

I wanted to follow up my post by saying I have been using Acne.org's website for a number of years. Acne runs strong in our family, and I've done a lot of reading over the years to find information to help my daughters. I only registered a few months back but just recently decided to start posting to share our experience with products we've used, as we've used many over the last few years.

I went to go add my regimen to my profile but just realized I cannot do so until I have a couple approved posts. I'm not sure who those get approved by, so I figured I would manually add in regimen here.

Morning

Mario Badescu Enzyme cleanser

Lumiplexion Salicyclic Acid 2

Lumiplexion Cranberry & Pomegranate Age Defiant

Lumiplexion Daily Definitive Sunscreen gel (spf 30)

Lumiplexion Multi-Plexion Moisturizer or Acne.org Moisturizer (like them both & switch off)

Everyday Minerals new IT base

Mario Badescu Rose water facial mist

Evening

Lumiplexion 5% BP scrub (about 4 days a week)

Lumiplexion Normal Cleanser

Lumiplexion Salicyclic Acid

Acne.org 2.5% BP - thin layer (about 4 days a week)

Acne.org AHA (about 4 days a week)

MemberMember
(@betsy91)

Posted : 12/23/2011 2:28 pm

Oh my jesuspants you're adorable. You look like that guy from 500 days of summer.

Have you tried grandpas acne soap? It's sulfur(: love that stuff

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/09/2012 3:34 pm

So for over a year, I used the BP treatment with clindomycin lotion and .5% Tretinoin at night.

After the 2nd month, I started to notice results. I started to break out less, and I wasn't as red from the medication. Though I do believe BP increased Hyper Pigmentation on my cheeks, and some are still there today. But anyways, I continued to use this product for over a year, and I noticed that although I wasn't changing anything with my regimen, my outbreaks started to increase. Now, I can deal with a few outbreaks on my face, big deal, but what I couldn't take was my face looking like a tomato.

You know it's really bad when you go out on a date, and you're asked "Hey, why is your face so red? did you get a sunburn or something?" (Why no, it's just all the chemicals I slather on my face to inhibit acne)

After my boss and other friends asked me if I was okay because my face was so red, I decided to say enough is enough! I looked around for other alternative natural treatments and I came across De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment 10% Acne Medication. A link is here: http://www.walgreens...2872361-product

This stuff costs nothing to buy, so I decided to pick some up and use it. I apply it as a mask every night with a few drops of jojoba oil and sleep with it on. It's been 2 weeks now without using BP, and I haven't had one outbreak, something BP NEVER did for me...and the redness from that miserable medication has almost completely receded. I am starting to become a true believer in this stuff and I want to pass on my great experience to all of you.

NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS STUFF!!! Not my dermatologist or my hippy friends! It seems to be a lost secret that out-competes and outperforms the traditional choice in acne medication, BP. Sulfur dries out acne and prohibits the growth of bacteria on the skin even after you wash it off your face. When I wash my face to get the sulfur off in the morning, I simply exfoliate with an apricot cleanser then add a tiny amount of lotion, a few drops of Jojoba, and a drop of Tea Tree Oil for good measure. You can't go wrong with this stuff! Sulfur is amazing, and it will always be around since it is one of the most abundant elements on the planet...and because of that...it's cheap as hell!

I read online that it could be drying, but I had no problem at all switching from BP to Sulfur, and I'm not looking back. I went from Moderate acne with a tomato face to no current breakouts...and a red free face!

If you're thinking of switching, try Sulfur out! It's been a true miracle to me, and I really hope it will be one for you!

I realize this thread is almost a year old. My son is trying this once a day, leaving it on for 15 minutes, then rinsing as instructed. He is not doing anything else. He is 4 days in and seems to be clearing in the areas where he had small bumps but redder in the areas were he had worse breakouts. I don't see any drying at all. Do you remember what your experience was in the first week or two of using this ointment? I see you left it on all night. Are you still clear and are you still using it? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 07/10/2012 8:10 am

I want to share another sulfur-based medication that might work well for some people. It's made by Perrigo and is offered by prescription only. I get mine for $10 per month, which isn't too bad. It's a combination of sulfacetamide (10%) and sulfur (5%).

/> http://www.perrigo.com/product/catalog/product_detail.aspx?id=36&prodid=1203&seachproducts=s

This cream goes on like a cream, in the sense that it initially feels a bit greasy on the skin. But once it's absorbed, it takes on a drier feel without drying my skin too much. Granted, my skin is oily enough that my skin's oils break through it after many hours' time.

Perrigo's website shows only the cream version, but the liquid form of drying lotion (with the same active ingredients/concentrations) may still be avilable. For many years, I used the tinted form of the liquid lotion, even though it doesn't really match any living person's skin tone. Heh... I don't see the liquid version on the manufacturer's website now, so I'm wondering if it's still available. When last it was, only a tint-free version was available.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 09/02/2012 11:03 pm

The De la Cruz 10% sulfur ointment is a good topical. You're only supposed to leave it on for ten minutes though. I like to make my own sulfur mask using the 10% sulfur ointment. I like to use the Aztec secret Indian healing clay. Mix a small amount of sulfur with the clay and add water until desired consistency. It works pretty well and I have a mask on right now :) only leave the mask on for 10 minutes then wash off with warm water.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 09/03/2012 10:31 am

A non-drying sulfur option is Magnesium Sulfate, also known Epsom Salt. It dosen't cause peeling or excessive dryness and it keeps my skin clear.

Dilute it with water and mix it into your favorite moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 09/03/2012 2:01 pm

I use both Epsom salt and De la Cruz sufur ointment. Epsom salt is amazing! I don't use face washes anymore. I just splash my face a few times with warm water and gently massage in a palm full of Epsom salt. Then I let it sit on my face for ten minutes until it turns white and wash it off. It works very well at fighting acne and reducing redness.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 09/04/2012 3:56 pm

According to a rep at the Epsom Salts Council there is no elemental sulfur in Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate). Here's the website: http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/