Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jepooley

would accutane be right for me?

So lately I've been really thinking about finally going to see a dermatologist. I'm seventeen and I'll be eighteen in December. I've been struggling with acne since I was twelve. At one point I had pretty bad cystic acne but it subsided a bit after I took birth control. I'm no longer on birth control and I still get a few cyst now and then. My acne typically consists of whiteheads although I do get the occasional blackhead. I have oily skin and HUGE pores, which really sucks because I can actually see my clogged pores. I've tried almost everything under the sun. Right now I'm using natralia acne wash, burt's bees scrub, and the occasional clay mask. I'm also on acnescript which tends to keep some of my cyst at bay. Currently my forehead is a mess of tiny whiteheads and I'm getting large whiteheads on my cheeks and chin area. I'm posting in the accutane forum because I was curious as to whether I would be a good candidate for accutane, I was also curious if a dermatologist would prescribe it if I asked for it. I'm thinking a low dose would easily combat my acne.

f4mdzs.jpg

2cqh6qs.jpg

51uk5z.jpg

Edited by jepooley

Accutane is mostly prescribed for severe cases of acne. You told us you have been getting cysts, these are considered one of the most severe forms of acne. I strongly recommend going to a dermatologist and discussing whether you should take Accutane.

Accutane is mostly prescribed for severe cases of acne. You told us you have been getting cysts, these are considered one of the most severe forms of acne. I strongly recommend going to a dermatologist and discussing whether you should take Accutane.

Yes, I'm well aware. and yes indeed they are, the one I have now hasn't even broken the surface yet. It's just hanging out under the surface. I really think that's what I should do. Will they give me accutane right off the bat or will I be forced to try alternatives first? also I'm adding some crappy webcam pictures to my first post. You can kind of see my acne in them. I forget to mention that I also get acne on my back, shoulders, and chest.

Edited by jepooley

Sweetheart, please make an apt with your derm and get yourself on Accutane. You are young, you should enjoy your youth and have clear skin. Also, if left untreated, the scars from your cysts will get deeper and not look so nice when you get older. The sooner you get Accutane, the sooner you clear your cystic acne, then get your skin lasered and you will greatly minimize the scarring. Please do this for yourself!