Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ForeverYoung21

My Claravis log- FINALLY. Ready to feel beautiful again:)

Hey everyone! smile.pngMy name is Colleen. Female, 20 years old, soon to be 21. College junior. I've suffered from acne for longer than I like to remember- going way back to maybe 5th grade. No joke. Is it really necessary for a 10 year old to have to start dealing with insecurities like that? Not that it consumed me at that age..well that was only true for a short period of time. My main focus was still playing on the playground and enjoying my childhood. Then I entered middle school. As I went into 6th grade, it became an increasingly big problem and it did start to affect how I viewed myself and how I thought others saw me as well. It has defined me ever since.

I HATE waking up in the mornings or showering and feeling like I must put a ton of make up on right away, even when I know I will not be going anywhere. There is always the fear that someone will still see me. Or when I lived in a dorm building the past 2 years and felt like I couldn't even go in the hall to the bathroom or laundry room with my uncovered face fully exposed. Also running really simple and quick errands somewhere, I feel so self conscious that I must fix my face up as I watch my friends not trying for a second or rolling out of bed and still having flawless looking skin. My boyfriend of 3 YEARS has NOT ONCE seen me without at least a little bit of concealer or foundation on. That's probably the most heart breaking thing to me. He knows that I am insecure about it, too- and I can't wait for the day when I am confident enough to let him see me for exactly who I am. 100% natural. I'll admit I wouldn't call my acne severe (though some days it feels like it).. I'd say it's moderate but just VERY persistent. And even when I feel like I am having milder days, I still have some acne marks that make it look even worse. It's like a roller coaster of bad weeks and seemingly good weeks. When one pimple finally goes away, it is ALWAYS replaced with another one somewhere else. And that sucks.

As I'm sure all of you who are taking or have taken accutane do, I feel like I tried it all. All of the 3- step acne and face wash kits out there, tazorac, solodyn, etc. I never saw anything more than just temporary results from all of those. So here I am...ready to begin my Claravis journey. I believe it is going to be 5 months (maybe 6), and I'm starting right off with 80mg (40 twice a day). That worried me at first since many people start much smaller and work their way up, or often don't even reach that level ever. But my new dermatologist, who I just became a patient for when returning to school this fall, says that is the default dosage he prescribes unless he sees real reason not to.

I completed the whole annoying process with the initial pregnancy tests and blood work, and I just picked up my pills yesterday! It was late afternoon so I decided to wait until this morning so today could be my real day 1. AND I JUST TOOK MY FIRST ONE! I had so many feelings as I was holding it in one hand with my water in the other. I had to take a deep breath and pause for a second- nervousness, anxiety, caution, doubt..but excitement at the same time. This could finally be the answer to the problem I have dealt with for the past decade. I decided to make this log because I admittedly stalked some people's a bit over the summer when I was first seriously thinking about doing it. People seem so supportive and it makes me realize that all of us really are in this together. I am SO ready for clear skin. WISH ME LUCK! smile.png

Edited by ForeverYoung21

Hey Colleen! Best of luck :) That day when you can finally just go out with no makeup will be amazing, I feel like I've been waiting for it my whole life haha.

I'm just a month ahead of you on the same dosage, just started month 2 except I was on 20mg a day for my first month, so it's almost like we're in the same position bc the 20mg did nothing really other than dry my lips out haha.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your progress :)

-Kasey

WEEK 1: DAY 1

Wow.. this stuff does NOT waste time. As I said today is my first day and before I even took my 2nd pill I noticed a difference in my face. It looked like there were new small bumps forming everywhere..seems way too soon for the initial breakout but who knows. It also looks oilier now than it has in months..also probably because i loadedd up on CervaVe moisturizer today in preparation for my first pill. But it was weird because even though it looks more oily now it actually feels dry. My lips are starting to feel dry as well, and also my eyes a little (could also be because I've barely slept the past few nights). I know some of these symptoms are probably more me just imagining it because I'm expecting it to happen haha I think i'm just paranoid since dryness is the most common thing I always read about. It's strange I'm feeling these effects so early but it's also not too surprising considering i'm taking 80mg right off the bat on day 1.

Can I get some suggestions about supplements to take while on accutane, since obviously I can't take my normal multivitamin with vitamin A in it..as well as brands of lip stuff to use? I have aquaphor but I'd love to hear what works best for you all!

Congratulations on your first pill! Feels wonderful to be doing something that will finally get rid of our problems, doesn't it? I'm starting out on 40mg but my derm said she will knock me up to 80mg my second month. The more the better I feel, I would hate to be at month six and still have acne.

Wow, I know just how you feel about being afraid of going out in public without having makeup on! I get nervous just walking my dog around my apartment... at night.

Good luck to you! I will be following your progress :)

-Rebecca

WEEK 1: DAY 3

Well I'm halfway through my first box and I've been feeling fine so far. I have noticed my face getting a little drier, and it even felt a bit irritated this morning for a few minutes after I washed it. And yes it was with a gentle cleaner that my derm recommended, but I've had it for a while anyway for days when salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide were too harsh. I'm using CeraVe now, along with the CeraVe moisturizer which has always been awesome. It's going to be so weird discontinuing the use of all those fancy neutrogena, clean and clear, etc products that always seem soo convincing in the commercials and I've stocked up on over the years. I'm still so tempted to put on my little spot treatments now..but I cannot wait for the day when I (hopefully) don't even have to worry about that anymore:)

I have noticed a couple new whiteheads today, small ones though. No pain yet. Not really any dryness in my eyes.. I'm trying to be good about wearing my glasses more and taking my contacts out whenever it's not necessary so I can avoid that. My eyes frequently get dry from them anyway so I can't imagine it getting any worse than it's been normally. Stocked up on eye drops both for and without contacts. My lips aren't that dry even though I thought they were getting that way a few days ago. I've always been literally addicted to chapstick though so applying lip moisturizer like crazy is not going to be a new concept for me to get used to.

I have realized that I need to start getting on a normal sleep schedule. I've slept about 4-5 hours a night since last thursday..gotta love being a biochemistry major. I had two tests and two 4 hour labs this week, in addition to the rest of my normal classes. how fun..not. I know that if I don't start getting enough sleep soon though it will NOT be a good combination with this pill. Also gotta start eating healthier. I've been slowly trying and I'll work on both of those more soon. I hope.

Anyway thanks so much for all of your support everyone, it means a lot!

Stay strong everyone and keep looking forward to your clear, beautiful skin that's to come:)

The regular sleep schedule will definitely help with side effects, at least it does for me!

I'm a music major and super busy, I take about 13 classes for 18 credits, it's awful. On my busiest day I have like 7 classes... 9am-7pm haha it sucks, but I've found taking naps whenever I have like a 2 hour break and going to bed a little earlier REALLY helps. The headaches are less intense and the back pain goes away faster when I relax a bit. Definitely try and sleep more, plus, sleep is awesome anyway :P

Hi Colleen :)

Good luck with your accutane journey. I hope it goes well for you and you have success!

I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to be seen without makeup, I am in the same boat. I hate being at home without it on and I hate my husband seeing all my acne marks and pimples. He is so supportive and tells me he can't even see them, but I still feel embarrassed!!

I am on day 50 of accutane, so a little further ahead of you, but my dose is low - 20mgs per day. I'll be keeping a log too and will be following yours and sharing the journey :)

DAY 7: END OF WEEK 1

Haven't updated in a few days because of the weekend! Aka..my first week on accutane..as a college student You know what I'm getting at. I was kind of dreading the weekend as Friday began because of the no drinking thing. We had our bids party for new sisters on Friday night (not exactly a sorority, but I'm in a "non greek sisterhood") and then Saturday night we had a party scheduled with one of our frats. I ended up drinking a veryy little bit on each night, being extremely careful and knowing I'd stop the second I felt weird in any way. I felt fine but still stopped after a tiny bit to be responsible. (I actually have a veryy high tolerance for a girl anyway). I felt like it was better to allow myself to have the option of drinking a small amount rather than banning it all together.. a "you want what you can't have" kind of thing. That way I could still enjoy the night and not feel tortured that it was completely prohibited, and it was just my choice to stop early. And that worked. It ended up being an awesome weekend and I lovee all of our new girls that we gave bids to:)

Also a quick note I must add... GO BUFFALO! biggrin.pngThe Bills are 3-0.. and I am SO PUMPED. Never thought I'd be able to say that they're undefeated at the moment. What an awesome start after a 4-12 season last year. They're looking great and they beat the Pats for the first time since 2003. Wooo!

Sorry..I'm a die hard bills fan, born and raised. Obsessed with football. but moving onnn..

A week into my Claravis journey and today is the first day that I'm noticing a huge difference in my face..IT BURNS. First time I'm seeing a little visible peeling too. I had another one of my 4 hour biochem labs this afternoon and I was very uncomfortable the whole time. I constantly felt like I needed to itch my face but I couldn't exactly do that with my gloves on and after dealing with chemicals of course. ugh. My lips have been getting gradually drier as well. I bought two new 2 packs of aquaphor over the weekend, in addition to the one I already had, and am literally putting a tube in every place I'd need it like my backpack and different purses and desk etc just to cover my bases and make sure I am NEVER without it. Because that would suck and I don't think I'd survive otherwise.

Hope you all are doing well, about to go stalk a bunch of your logs now :)

Hey just read your log! I'm in a similar boat.....college girl with acne now having to get on accutane. Ugh. The worst. How are things going?!! It's been a while since you updated.