Notifications
Clear all

My Claravis Log!!!

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/19/2011 7:08 pm

Hi, I'm Kasey! I've been creeping around on here for a while, reading some logs and loving the support everyone gives eachother, and I finally worked up the courage to actually start my own log!

I actually just started my 2nd month of Claravis. I'm 19 years old, and I'm on 80mg a day. My first month I was only on 20mg a day, I felt a lot of the side effects initially but then most went away other than dry eyes and lips. This is only day 2 of 80mg for me and I'm kind of a disaster :\ my skin looks pretty crappy, my eyes are incredibly dry, I've had a headache ALL DAY, I've been exhausted, and I've had horrible backaches/joint aches... I think playing violin 4-6 hours daily is what really aggravates the back/joint pain but it's awful. I've also been in a horrible mood and almost cried for no reason during my violin lesson but I'm sort of thinking that is because of all of the side effects (especially being tired) and hopefully not me going crazy or becoming depressed from the medication :X I'll give it a few days.

So, I guess I'm just looking to talk with people going through the same things as me. Having acne in college (I'm a sophomore) really sucks, I've been battling it for 9-10 years now and nothing has ever worked before so I'm sincerely hoping that this will do the trick.

I'll post a picture or two when I work up the courage to do it :P

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 09/19/2011 7:58 pm

Hi Kasey! Welcome to the Org. :)

20mg to 80mg is a bit of a jump - maybe you should see your dermatologist about a slightly lower dosage? How severe is your acne, may I ask? Obviously if it's cystic then the higher dosage is probably necessary, but if you're getting hit that hard with side effects after only two days of taking 80mg, that's a bit harsh. If it doesn't level itself out, definitely go back and see your derm, or give them a call and talk to them.

I'm not on Accutane, but I've got an appointment this coming Monday with the dermatologist. I completely understand your frustration, as do most of us. Ten years is enough!

If you do decide to post pictures, don't be concerned about being judged. People here are very supportive and lovely and, surprise, we've all been hit with the acne stick too. ;) Trolls get eaten for breakfast by the moderators, too, so you needn't worry about them.

Anyway, good luck to you on your journey! I hope everything evens out for you, you'll be clear in no time. ;) Just keep your chin up and press on.

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/19/2011 9:49 pm

Thanks for the reply! :) Yeah I thought 20-80 was a big jump too but I'm on the chubby side haha so I figured it was just weight related. I don't really get cysts that often, on my back occasionally but rarely on my face. My acne is probably moderate to severe if I had to guess, my back is where it's the worst which is just awful being a girl, it's so hard to wear cute clothes trying to hide a back full of acne all the time. I go to college like 500+ miles from home haha so I'm seeing a random derm. up here and he's literally like the only one, he was an ass and I felt like he basically shoved me out of his office... so I may call but I'm not sure yet. I think I'll ride out the next week or so and see if the side effects calm down.

I may post pics, eventually :P I haven't let anyone other than my roommate see me with no makeup in a very long time so... it's scary for me haha.

Is your derm appt. to talk about Accutane? Honestly like the side effects suck but I want to stick it out, I keep seeing before and after pictures and I just want it so badly. I hope that your appt goes well! :) Here's hoping for clearer skin!

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/20/2011 1:58 pm

Day 33 (Day 3 of 80mg)

Feeling much better, took the 1st pill with lunch about 3 hours ago and I'm already feeling less of the side effects than yesterday (thankfully!) Lots of dry skin though, my hands are very dry and I noticed that my left shoulder is very dry also. Having some difficulty with contacts but hopefully my eyes will adjust a little, even prescription eyedrops don't really help me :\

That's all for today :)

MemberMember
(@foreveryoung21)

Posted : 09/20/2011 3:45 pm

Hey Kasey:)You're right since we'll only be a couple days apart with the 80mg I'm going to consider us on the same page! It's too bad that you went through a whole month with the 20mg and it didn't do much. I'm nervous about jumping right into such a high dosage..I've only taken one pill so far ahh I can only hope for the best. Good luck to you too- I'll definitely follow how you're doing! I know it's going to be hard dealing with all of this while we're at college, but I also spent so long creeping around here before I made the decision and have seen how helpful everyone's support can be :)

-Colleen

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/20/2011 7:47 pm

Yeah I guess the 20mg was just a preparation haha.

The 80mg is the real deal though, I went from having just sort of dry skin this morning to peeling like some freaky diseased person in just a few hours (didn't even realize it until I was in the bathroom, how embarrassing!) But I don't even know what to do about the peeling, I'm gonna gently exfoliate tonight and then lather on some Aveeno moisturizer and hope it helps a bit. Just took my 2nd pill a little while ago after practicing violin for about an hour and I feel very achy. Hopefully the side effects subside in a few days.

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/21/2011 6:59 pm

Day 34

Definitely peeling, lips and eyes are dry, backache sucks but it wasn't bad yesterday, so I'm assuming it's just from having orchestra today and sitting up straight for so long. I've noticed my acid reflux has been worse lately and I wonder if the Claravis could have some effect on that?

Does anyone have any kind of solution for the peeling? I've tried two kinds of Aveeno moisturizer (for face and for body) and I can't get my face to stop peeling or even look slightly presentable. I tried exfoliating but that didn't do much either. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated smile.png

Also, had a big red spot on my lower cheek this morning and by this afternoon it was almost gone, magic? I think so smile.png I can't wait to finally have clear skin, every day is one day closer, soooo exciting!!!

Edit: Also maybe noteworthy, I've also been extremely tired lately and have needed to take naps every day after classes ended, and I've also been going to bed about 2 hours earlier than usual, anyone else getting this exhausted from it? Does it go away with time?

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/22/2011 7:52 pm

Day 35

Not much to report, I think I may be finally getting my IB, my chin is breaking out and I feel some small bumps along my cheekbone, but who knows? Maybe it's just hormones. My stomach has been sensitive and crampy lately and I'm not sure why... other than that, nothing interesting to report. Hoping for some kind of clearer skin soon :)

MeShell22 liked
MemberMember
(@cherryblossom021)

Posted : 09/22/2011 11:14 pm

Hey Kasey! It is good to hear you are still pushing through! We are all glad that you decided to post your log. I just posted my pictures, you should too. smile.png I would never go out in public with no make up, but it is easier to post the pictures because everyone here is so supportive. It will also be a nice way to look back when our skin is flawless and say, "Wow, it was totally worth it." Thank you for the reply on my log!

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 09/23/2011 5:18 pm

Hi Kasey,

The worsening acid reflux and fatigue are known side effects of Claravis, according to the pharmacy insert. I have had acid reflux for years & take Prilosec (prescription strength) for it. It is safe to take that with the Claravis, so you could get some OTC Prilosec if it continues to be a problem. As for the fatigue, I hope you start feeling better! I bet you feel that way from the sudden increase in your dose.

Jess

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/23/2011 8:18 pm

Thanks for the replies!! smile.png

Rebecca - I'll post pics soon, I just need to get over this fear of it tongue.png

Jess - Thanks! I wasn't sure about acid reflux/accutane, I tried prilosec before I started Claravis and it definitely helped, so I'll try it again!

Day 36

Definitely having my IB. I thought I avoided it, guess not :\ New pimple in between my eyebrows, right on the bridge of my nose, a small cluster on each cheek and all over my chin. Ugh I look disgusting, my foundation is like barely coating it and it looks awful, my skin is peeling... but whatever at least it won't get worse haha. My eyebrows are in need of waxing, I guess I gotta break out the tweezer, ouch sad.png Just went to a drag show (at my college) and my back was killing me after standing for about an hour, and the drag queens have nicer skin than I do lol. Going to drink a little bit tonight, didn't take my 2nd pill for that reason. Not drinking in college is tough, so drinking in moderation is going to have to be good enough. Ugh can't wait to get out of this horrible acne-slump, my skin hasn't been this awful in a while. Thanks for reading my log smile.png

Edit: just in case anyone was going to say it, I know alcohol is bad for acid reflux, I'm just stupid and drink anyway.

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/23/2011 11:57 pm

Just posting as a reply to that:

I ended up not drinking, just babysitting my drunk suitemate all night. Fun fun. Gotta love college :\

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 09/24/2011 9:58 am

I was just catching up on a few logs and spotted yours Kasey, thought I'd check in. :)

Although I have tried to get it a couple of times, I haven't actually done Accutane myself, but do like to drop by and offer support. Plus it's a good education if I ever do go on it, to read first-hand accounts from people who are experiencing the side effects and all.

Sounds like it's starting to kick in for you, I guess that's the increased dosage. Still, at least you know it's starting to do its thing and I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end. I wish you the best of luck on your course! :)

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/25/2011 11:39 am

Day 38 -

Only took half a dose yesterday because I had a few jello shots (like, 3) at night and was a little nervous about it (even though 3 jello shots is like nothing). Back to the full dose every day, no more drinking, I was thinking about it and feel dumb and don't wanna ruin anything for myself.

My skin looks crappy, lots of actives right now, lips are a nightmare, super dry and peeling. Very achey and tired. Skin isn't as dry but I'm thinking that's a combo of adjusting to the 80mg and only taking a half dose yesterday.

This breakout is really discouraging, I'm so self conscious, I look horrible under natural light, how unfortunate.

I also have a GIANT bump from my nose piercing which I got done in January... so basically I'm just a big red lumpy monster, cool.

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/26/2011 10:24 pm

Day 39 -

Definitely feeling less side effects! My skin still looks awful but is suddenly slightly more oily? Not exactly sure what's up with that. My face still looks gross, hoping this breakout will go away soon. Not much else to report :)

Is the aquaphor stuff really that amazing? I was using a&d ointment but it's not really working anymore :(

MemberMember
(@melindaone)

Posted : 09/27/2011 7:06 pm

Hi,

Your acne looks so much like mine but I am only on 50mg/day. Are you also getting cystic acne? I'm just starting week 8 and I am getting cysts pretty often, really big, red and painful. They do not go away easy and I wonder if you are also getting cysts...For how many months are you on Accutane?

M.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 09/27/2011 9:25 pm

Just remember how awesome it's going to be when you're done with your course. :D A couple months of crappy skin in order to have clear skin indefinitely... it seems to be a good trade off. You're beautiful, by the way! :)

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/27/2011 11:23 pm

Melinda - I never really got cysts on my face, I had many on my back but they went away over the summer (sun always clears up my skin)

Elle - I know it's definitely worth it :) and thankyou!

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/28/2011 10:54 pm

Day 41 -

Lips are peeling badly, nothing seems to help, finally going to find some aquaphor this weekend. My face looks absolutely horrible, lots of actives, a new one forming, everythings flaking, I'm just gross right now. Switching derms (AGAIN), this one seems skeptical about the 80mg/day, I hope she doesn't lower the dosage, I want this stuff to work asap :(

Also noticing that my acid reflux is progressively worse every day.... Priolsec when I get some $.

Has anyone else noticed a more sensitive stomach since starting accutane? I'm nauseous like daily.

Oh crap just realized I forgot my 2nd pill, taking it now I guess. Ughhhhh. Goodnight.

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 09/28/2011 11:26 pm

Maybe you could speak to your derm about maybe lowering your dose to 60mg and extending your course a tiny bit so your cumulative dose is the same? It might help a little with your side effects if they're getting difficult to deal with. :(

MemberMember
(@sensitisma)

Posted : 09/29/2011 6:47 pm

Make sure you treat that acid reflux! It will damage your esophagus if you don't. It would be cheaper to get a prescription for it so you only pay $10 a month. I really hope you start feeling better; I'm sorry your poor face is in such bad shape right now :(

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/30/2011 12:17 am

Elle- I'm hoping to just adjust to the high dosage, if it's right for my weight than I can deal with it, I just have to man up :P If my new doctor wants to change it, that's her call but we shall see. Thanks for the response!! :)

Jesoli - I didn't know they even had prescription acid reflux meds! If i can find some for that cheap it'd be awesome, I know prilosec otc is pretty pricey, so hopefully that plan works. Thanks! :)

Day 42 -

Neosporin daily hydration therapy lip stuff is my savior right now. Corners of my mouth are cracked, lips need moisturizer every 30 minutes or so. Skin looks disgusting, full of actives.

On the bright side, I've been able to go 2 days without washing my hair which is something I NEVER do, ever. It's nice to not have to worry about always washing it. I'm having an incredibly difficult time not picking at my face, I accidentally peeled my chin a little like yesterdayish and theres just this awkward like almost trapezoid shape still where I peeled it and I'm worried it's going to scar, I hope not. I'd hate to do all this only to be scarred because I can't help picking at my face :(

Side effects (including acid reflux) are getting better!!! Thanks for the replies!

MemberMember
(@melindaone)

Posted : 09/30/2011 5:24 pm

Day 41 -

Lips are peeling badly, nothing seems to help, finally going to find some aquaphor this weekend. My face looks absolutely horrible, lots of actives, a new one forming, everythings flaking, I'm just gross right now. Switching derms (AGAIN), this one seems skeptical about the 80mg/day, I hope she doesn't lower the dosage, I want this stuff to work asap sad.png

Also noticing that my acid reflux is progressively worse every day.... Priolsec when I get some $.

Has anyone else noticed a more sensitive stomach since starting accutane? I'm nauseous like daily.

Oh crap just realized I forgot my 2nd pill, taking it now I guess. Ughhhhh. Goodnight.

Hi. How are you changing derms? Is that so easy to do? I wonder as I also want to change my derm. Mine is horrible!

MemberMember
(@followyourbliss)

Posted : 09/30/2011 10:12 pm

Hi Melinda! Yes it is easy for me, I've changed 3x now, once because I didn't like the doctor, once because I went away to college and now again because I don't like the derm up here. It hasn't affected my course at all, you just have to change your doctor on the ipledge website and speak to both doctors. Make sure to get your prescription for the bloodwork done by the new doctor though or they won't get your results. Good luck!!!

MemberMember
(@melindaone)

Posted : 10/02/2011 2:53 pm

Thanks, I will see what I can do. Here in Canada its more complicated :( Have to have a referral from walk-in clinic first and then wait few weeks to get an appointment. Good thing, all appointments are free :) Btw, do you have to pay a fee when going for monthly check ups? And do you pay for your bloodwork? If its not a secret, how much do you have to spend on that each month? (If you pay...)