Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
laura.yancie

Acne isn't as bad as you think?

So for the past month I have felt like a hideous beast. I don't have acne all over my face, it's actually relatively clear but I always have at least a couple active pimples all in a bunch (pustules) on the side of my face more specifically on the right side at all times and the occasional papule on my cheek, and sometimes 1 small papule on my jawline that isn't noticeable, and usually goes away within 1-2 days. Everywhere else on my body and face is always completely clear.

But when I look in the mirror I feel ugly. Mostly when I look at the right side of my face. It's scarred up pretty significantly from a bad breakout I had due to taking Diane35 (initial breakout). I don't feel attractive anymore, and my confidence has gone down A LOT. I didn't think anyone would find me attractive anymore.

However I was on the bus the other day on my way home from school and this really attractive cleared skin guy came and sat beside me. He was pretty close up to my face and we had a really good conversation. He never scanned my face or anything and kept eye contact. Before he left for his stop he asked for my number! So I keep thinking now, we must see ourselves differently when we look in the mirror.

The biggest thing too is I was in natural lighting, so you could clearly see my acne marks and mild scarring, but yet he still found me attractive enough to ask for my number. Needless to say, it was a confidence booster!

I agree with this 100%. When I had acne I use to feel bad everyday all day. People never looked at my acne like I did. I was a surprise day in and day out to see people just ignore it. It makes us more self-centered around our own appearance for certain. Now that I am clear I usually do that same thing with people that have acne. I always just make eye contact and never look at their skin, it just makes them feel bad. It also helps keep the conversation going, people with acne are people to, we just need to treat them like we treat everyone else, that will give them more confidence to act regular without that shadow over their minds.

I am glad you agree freeliving.

After that day I look at myself a little differently now. Yes, I am still self conscious and I don't feel 100% good about myself, but I feel better.

When I had clear skin back in July I never noticed acne on people either. My best friend of 6 years has pretty bad acne but I've always thought she was beautiful and a beautiful positive person. Despite having acne she doesn't let it bring her down. She's a very social person and loves life and always has boys all over her.

For me she is kind of my inspiration. She tried a round of Accutane and saw pretty good results, but literally right after she quit taking it all her acne came back. I do remember bad times when she was upset over her acne and she would pick and pick. One time she even scratched her entire face because she was so frustrated.

But anyways, I think people with acne just need to focus on having a better self image of ourselves and to stop obsessing. & I know that is hard, but in the long run it's beneficial. :)

couldn't have said it any better myself, kudos!!

All my friends have clear skin, I think only one of them has some minor acne breakouts sometimes, certainly not always. But when she has acne she is very self conscious, she says things before we all go out, "damn this acne, you all have clear skin". Then she'll ask me what face wash I use and what not, and I tell her, NOTHING. When she has clear skin she never thinks about it or mentions anything about someone else having it if were out, its a night and day difference really.

Yeah, definitely.

I talk about my acne a lot, only because it makes me feel better. My friends (most are guys) are always telling me that I look fine and they don't really notice my skin. But basically it would be nice to have clear skin again!! How did you clear your face?

I made a post about it, there are several on this forum with the same idea. Basically my skin is ultra sensitive and soaps and creams were the cause of my acne. I do not use them anymore and I am clear 100%, no scars or anything left. It didn't take long to heal from severe acne either. Here is my post:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/303211-my-cure-for-acne/

Well unfortunately my acne is very hormonal, so I don't think this regimen would work for me.

However, I did notice when my face was clear from doxycycline I didn't do much to my face and it healed a lot faster. I had rolling scars on my face but in a short period of maybe 5-6 months they filled out and I didn't have any! It was amazing.

Right now I am taking Diane35 and once it starts to show improvement I will try and do what I did while on doxycycline so my face can heal once again. :)

completely agree. I am fortunate to go to a high school where even though a small amount of the kids have acne, all the kids just look at it as a "normal stage" instead of it being GROSS! yes, i had severe acne my freshman year and let it get me down all year long, but noone ever stared at it or made fun of it or pointed it out, which always in the back of my head shocked me. The summer of Sophomore year I took Accutane, and it has kept me clear for 7 months (it recently started coming back, but not nearly as bad as before so im not upset). For some reason I thought accutane would cure all my problems and i was definitely more confident, but after a while I realized "what a waste of time" because nobody treated me any differently than they did when I had horrific acne.

Ah paparazzi25, I definitely know where you are coming from. I grew up in a small town of 500 people, and people who had severe, severe acne never got made fun of or treated differently. We just accepted each other, including the flaws. I've never been made fun of for having acne, but I do remember someone pointing out I had a pimple on my back.. but I didn't care, because it happens to everyone. Even now that I have mild scarring on my face nobody says anything or looks at me differently. I think I am too harsh on myself sometimes. It's hard to be a perfectionist and have bad skin. It's like, no matter what it's never going to be good enough for me and that is noooot good. I remember when my skin cleared up from doxycycline, my hyper pigmentation was not bad at all but I still thought I looked hideous without makeup on. Man if I could go back in time, I would have not worn makeup because my skin looked amazing.

Also, maybe it was a waste of time, and it's good that people always have treated you with respect whether or not you had acne! But it is important to have healthy skin in my opinion and if you never tried Accutane you would have always wondered what it would be like to have clear skin. :)

No offense to you OP but it not that easy to say acne isn't that bad if you had open sores on your face oozing out bloog and pus. That is what I had to deal with at one point.

Ah paparazzi25, I definitely know where you are coming from. I grew up in a small town of 500 people, and people who had severe, severe acne never got made fun of or treated differently. We just accepted each other, including the flaws. I've never been made fun of for having acne, but I do remember someone pointing out I had a pimple on my back.. but I didn't care, because it happens to everyone. Even now that I have mild scarring on my face nobody says anything or looks at me differently. I think I am too harsh on myself sometimes. It's hard to be a perfectionist and have bad skin. It's like, no matter what it's never going to be good enough for me and that is noooot good. I remember when my skin cleared up from doxycycline, my hyper pigmentation was not bad at all but I still thought I looked hideous without makeup on. Man if I could go back in time, I would have not worn makeup because my skin looked amazing.

Also, maybe it was a waste of time, and it's good that people always have treated you with respect whether or not you had acne! But it is important to have healthy skin in my opinion and if you never tried Accutane you would have always wondered what it would be like to have clear skin. smile.png

just had to comment on this again LOL. TOTALLY have to agree that no matter what, our skin will never be good enough in our own eyes. I remember after I stopped accutane i looked at my face smiling and then i remembered. I have 7 moles on my face! it never bothered me before, but it was like, now that i didn't have acne to worry about, i tried to worry about something else LMAO completely rediculous I know, i should have just been happy to be acne free! but I looked up mole removal for 3 weeks after accutane xD

We are our own worse critic!!! i think we just blow our acne out of proportion sometimes... :\ The way we see our skin is perhaps waaaaay different than how others see our skin. Hahaha.

Guest pokemonster

^ why would it be waaaaay different? yea maybe we see it slightly worse than other ppl since we focus on all the details etc and its our problem, but not like others will see flaaawless skin on u while u have bunch of schmimplz everywhere either

It's not so much how it looks, I think it's mainly about how we think others will respond. I could stand in front of the mirror thinking, 'Oh man, these pimples look horrible!', but other people probably won't pay so much attention as I think they do. Granted, I was bullied about my acne all through school, but that's just mean kids looking for an easy target. Out in the real world when people have actually grown up, it's probably nowhere near as bad as I may fear.

It's not so much how it looks, I think it's mainly about how we think others will respond. I could stand in front of the mirror thinking, 'Oh man, these pimples look horrible!', but other people probably won't pay so much attention as I think they do. Granted, I was bullied about my acne all through school, but that's just mean kids looking for an easy target. Out in the real world when people have actually grown up, it's probably nowhere near as bad as I may fear.

agree, but it only takes that one asshole (and there is always that one asshole in the bunch , not matter where you are) to make fun of you for it. those are the types of events that get ingrained into our heads, at least it did to me at one point (when I had acne). even once I was 100% clear i still found it hard to be socially active again, i had to kinda baby step into things.

I did not think too much about my skin, until I started getting comments from family (great grandmother to told me to stop eating this and that to clear my skin) and other well-meaning relatives. I've had people - strangers mind you, ask me as to what is wrong with my skin. This does not help me at all. As a teen I've had a date tell me that 'I would be a pretty girl if my acne was'nt so bad, dumped him right away. So, my self esteem was really trampled on by callus, un-thinking people. When I see someone with a skin issue, I feel for them, and keep quiet. For I know that even well meaning un-solicited comments that are not from a Doctor or other professional skin care person are un-welcome and harmful.

Also, maybe it was a waste of time, and it's good that people always have treated you with respect whether or not you had acne! But it is important to have healthy skin in my opinion and if you never tried Accutane you would have always wondered what it would be like to have clear skin. smile.png

just had to comment on this again LOL. TOTALLY have to agree that no matter what, our skin will never be good enough in our own eyes. I remember after I stopped accutane i looked at my face smiling and then i remembered. I have 7 moles on my face! it never bothered me before, but it was like, now that i didn't have acne to worry about, i tried to worry about something else LMAO completely rediculous I know, i should have just been happy to be acne free! but I looked up mole removal for 3 weeks after accutane xD

I know it's ridiculous!! Once our acne clears up we focus on other flaws or imperfections. For me once my skin was completely clear I started feeling like I needed to lose weight. Like wtf? Maaaaan. I know that once my face clears up I am going to be happy and stay happy.

^ why would it be waaaaay different? yea maybe we see it slightly worse than other ppl since we focus on all the details etc and its our problem, but not like others will see flaaawless skin on u while u have bunch of schmimplz everywhere either

Nono I agree with this 100%. I mean like, people don't see them as harshly as we do. Like if I have one pimple on my face, even if it is small I don't looking at my face. It's stupid.

No offense to you OP but it not that easy to say acne isn't that bad if you had open sores on your face oozing out bloog and pus. That is what I had to deal with at one point.

No offense taken! But my best friend, who I described in my earlier posts did have open sores on her face that had scabs and what not because she would go insane and pick or even scratch up her face, and yet she is still very confident and I rarely noticed her skin unless we were at her house and we were going to bed and she washed her makeup off, but even then I didn't care. But I respect where you are coming from.

it depends on the person. Some people don't care. From what I have noticed, the ones who don't have bad acne or bad skin tend to not care as much or pay much attention. Except for those stuck up people...those who have to make sure they are better than everyone. They might judge more...and even point it out....pssshh.

Of course they don't see FLAWLESS skin, but they don't see it as terrible as we see it when we stare in the mirror for hours and hours looking at every single little dot or indent or ever mark. Some see our pimple on our face and think, "Oh they have a pimple." We see a pimple on our face and are like, "OMFG, AN EFFING PIMPLE! OMG...IT'S HIDEOUS! IT'S LIKE...EFFING HUGE! WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad.pngsad.png((((( :\ sad.pnggasp.gif :'( :''''''''''(((((((((((( "

Edited by Jennaaaay

it depends on the person. Some people don't care. From what I have noticed, the ones who don't have bad acne or bad skin tend to not care as much or pay much attention. Except for those stuck up people...those who have to make sure they are better than everyone. They might judge more...and even point it out....pssshh.

Of course they don't see FLAWLESS skin, but they don't see it as terrible as we see it when we stare in the mirror for hours and hours looking at every single little dot or indent or ever mark. Some see our pimple on our face and think, "Oh they have a pimple." We see a pimple on our face and are like, "OMFG, AN EFFING PIMPLE! OMG...IT'S HIDEOUS! IT'S LIKE...EFFING HUGE! WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad.pngsad.png((((( :\ sad.pnggasp.gif :'( :''''''''''(((((((((((( "

Haha this made me laugh, because its sooo true! I remember one night a couple weeks ago my sister and I were going out to a club and I was obsessing because overnight I seriously got a HUGE pimple on my face right in the middle of my cheek. My face was almost clear the night before and then I wake up to a huge ass pimple. As I was obsessing over it my sister came close up to my face and was like "where?" and I pointed it out and she just said, "Laura, it's one pimple that nobody will notice." and it made me feel better.

We obsess and see our flaws way more clearly then other people. Some days my sister will come up to me and say, "Wow Laura your face looks so good today, it's like flawless." and I'm just so shocked because she cannot see the obvious flaws that I see on my face when I look in the mirror. So yes, of course people aren't going to look at us when we have a pimple or two and see perfect skin, but chances are they won't care either just like I don't care when I see a person with pimples.