Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MysticQ

It's hopeless. I'm done.

Hello everyone.

I'm an avid reader of this website and often come here for advice. Today I have come to the realization that I am hopeless and don't know what to do. I'm currently on Aczone/Atralin and have been on Acanya/Atralin before, but nothing is helping. I thought the Aczone was clogging my pores, and now I have cysts forming. I feel ugly, desperate, and that I can't talk to anyone.

My own mother is done listening to me complain about my skin.

I don't know who else to talk to, and I am writing this with tears welling up in my eyes.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

What medication have you had success with? Is Accuatane an option?

I am sick of seeing girls in the hallway at my school who put minimal to no time and effort into their skin and have it look perfect. I want a job and boyfriend, and I feel that it is impossible having either of these things with the way I look.

I never touch my skin, I eat the best I can, I sleep on my back, and I wash twice a day.

I am a 15 year old girl, if that helps.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Olivia

Have you checked out the nutrition board? http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/forum/16-nutrition-holistic-health/

All your answers lie there.

Don't bother with Accutane. Your acne will go away when you're on it, but it will come back after your derm pulls you off it if you're not eating healthy and everything. But you might as well just live healthy in the first place and not deal with the side-effects of Accutane.

Have you checked out the nutrition board? http://www.acne.org/...olistic-health/

All your answers lie there.

Don't bother with Accutane. Your acne will go away when you're on it, but it will come back after your derm pulls you off it if you're not eating healthy and everything. But you might as well just live healthy in the first place and not deal with the side-effects of Accutane.

Not sure I agree with you here. I know so many people personally in my life, who have went on Accutane, and have not had one pimple/breakout/whitehead/whatever since they have went off it, and, to be frank, eat like crap. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, yes indeed, but saying Accutane is only effective when you're taking the pills is, put bluntly, a lie.

Accutane is most likely an option, depending on the severity of one's acne and blood analysis, the Dermatologist will determine if Accutane is right for you. However, Accutane is known for having very serious side effects on certain individuals, keeping that in mind, it would be wise to consider other less invasive treatments first.

I see that you are currently trying Aczone, you should definitely continue that and see how that works out.You can also enhance and supplement that regime with a healthy diet .One does see a difference, (perhaps not a big one) in their acne if they maintain a HEALTHY diet, mainly vegetables and fruits for complex carbs and avoiding inflammatory foods as well as staying hydrated, but you might already know all that, besides that, one should not pick active acne lesions, I would suggest a dye free detergent. Maintain good activity levels, stay active in order to reduce any stress levels.

As far as sources, i can only speak as a 21 year old Latino male tthat has suffered from Severe cystic acne since the age of 13, I can honestly say that the severity of my acne PEAKED around the ages of 15-17. The only prescription drugs for acne I ever tried were minocycline and tetracycline, which did not work well for ME, I then tried a somewhat expensive laser procedure called Photodynamic Therapy, that had minimal effects on my acne, however, it did make my pores smaller, But prior to all this I had pretty much tried all of the major over the counter products, benzyl peroxide, Murad, Proactive, etc..And so finally I just went more or less holistic, treating the body as a whole, taking into consideration almost everything going into my body. now I just simply wash my face with tea tree oil wash and some clay mask I use here and there. Our organisms are all different, you might be clear in a couple of weeks, whereas some of us have very aggressive and resistant acne and will eventually be clear. I am by no means 100 percent clear and nor did I always maintain strict diet and exercise discipline, if anything, I had terrible eating habits and a lived a sedentary lifestyle,my approach is simply one of many. Acne does indeed have an effect on your life, whether you accept it or not, the effect or implications are there, the stares, the harsh comments, the embarrassment, the insecurity, it is all there, however, ACNE by no means determines how you should think, act, or expected to act, it is simply a skin disorder that affects most of the human population,

This is all aesthetics, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, acne does not determine anything, it is not all about ones face, at the end of the day, people want to see what you can bring to the table, your work ethic, how you conduct yourself, your mannerism,you can apply this to your professional life as well as your social life. But of course I understand that at a young age, and especially in this society, one wants to look good, impress that girl or guy, we are surrounded with glamor and beauty, obsessed with trying to be like that certain image or person. Don't let acne determine how you live your life, how astonishing is it to see young people worrying about their "looks" and not filling up their stomachs or simply fighting for their life, like that poor Iraqi kid or that cancer riddled infant just born yesterday

.People will always have something to say, it's up to you to interpret it, let it affect you or simply ignore it and move on.

So lighten up, stay positive.

When it comes to acne treatment be patient and persistent enough just like your stubborn acne. Never give up!

And always remember about your confidence, becoz pple notice ur level of confidence first, how do u hold yourself is really important. Don't let skin condition and clogged pores manage your mood or self-esteem. comfort.gif

Hi Olivia :)

I hope you manage to feel better in yourself soon. It's not always easy, but it is important to try and stay as positive as possible, or at least not be so hard on yourself.

There are always options and there is always hope. It's important, in my opinion, to find the root cause of your acne, perhaps with the help of your doctor or a dermatologist. Hypothetically, if it were hormonal you could look into the appropriate medication. If your acne were triggered by a poor diet for example, you could look into making dietary changes with a view to taking a more holistic approach to clearing your skin. In both those cases, you should be able to find plenty of help and ideas in the relevant sections of the board.

Accutane could always be on option but it does seem like a big thing to take on. Many people here have had amazing long term success with Accutane but they only usually end up following that route after they've tried all other medications suggested by their doctor/dermatologist. I you feel you have started to run out of options then you would be able to fund plenty of Accutane posts here as well as all the logs if current users. That should help you make an educated decision one way or the other

As for the emotional side of things, try your best to be positive and try not to be hard on yourself. Your acne dies not define who you are and is certainly not the only thing people would think if when in your company. Truthfully, it may be the last thing most people think of. It's hard to believe that it's hard to buy into that mentality because acne can really mess with our perceptions and our self esteem, but you can get there. If you find a way to work on your confidence, you can go ahead and make themost of things and achieve whatever you want in life. We all deserve to be happy and you can make it happen if you want it.

:)

It's not hopeless - don't be done yet! You're only 15, there's still so much you can try. Keep going with your current treatment, and if it fails, go back to your doctor / derm. Acctuane is a last resort and it's not the only thing which can help. I know how you feel, I've endured four years of this crap through high school and I'm still counting.

Thank you all so much for the kind words. I'm definitley weighing my options, and each day I analyze what my current situation is. Right now, I hope I can get the derm as soon as I can, and we'll talk about treatment options. Maybe I'll be prescribed a new regimine, but for now, I can't get an appointment.

For the emotional side of things, I am definitley feeling down. I realize beauty is only skin deep, but its much harder said then believed. :/

Again, thank you for your opinions, y'all are too sweet. :)

xo