Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ahasegawa

All My Hopes Are Riding on This! A Log of a Fed Up 22 Yr Old

Hello Everyone! :surprised:

I actually have been lurking this community for a little while now. I recently visited my dermatologist for the first time and she has prescribed me accutane. I am really excited and I really would love to share my experiences with all of you and in return I really hope to find a support team whom I can relate to ;)

Information About Me:

I am 22 years old and I have suffered from moderate acne since I was 15. I have more papule acne and I dont suffer from cystic (I have one cystic acne maybe once a year). I have it on my back, chest, arms, neck, and face and although it isnt severe in numbers overall it is a big issue for me. Its really been a source of making me feel very low.

I have tried EVERYTHING thus far! OTC products, birth control, prescription creams, and prescription antibiotics and all of it was inneffective! I feel like I am going to live with acne the rest of my life and its so depressing! And then Is started doing research on accutane when I came across some youtube videos. I have done a lot of research and I feel like this is my last chance at getting rid of acne. I understand the side effects but its worth it to me.

I visited my dermatologist and she agreed that I should go on accutane. She is prescribing me 60 mg for the next 5 months. She also is prescribing me another antibiotic for the first 14 days to take accutane with so as to combat the Initial Breakout everyone speaks of.

I really look forward to sharing my experience with you and wish me luck. My dermatologist called accutane a miracle drug and I hope that stays true for me! Any support is appreciated.

I am currently waiting 30 days now in order to receive my accutane (Stupid girl rules!) :doubt:

I will post pics of my no makeup/bare skin face later for comparison :)

Edited by ahasegawa

hey!! Just thought I'd let you know your not alone, I'm a feed up 20 year old with acnerolleyes.gif So excited for you to be getting Accutane! I also will be getting on it in about a month. Hopefully in a few months time we both will have the skin we desire. GOOD LUCK!

I was in the same boat as you just a few weeks ago...just waiting...Don't worry your time will come! Just think by Christmas we'll probably be pretty clear. Yay.

What exactly is papule acne? Sorry I don't really know the official names for these things.

photoon91811at704pm2.jpg

photoon91811at705pm2.jpg

photoon91811at705pm3.jpg

AHHH NO MAKEUP PICTURES! Embarrassing but there they are. Come on accutane!

hey!! Just thought I'd let you know your not alone, I'm a feed up 20 year old with acnerolleyes.gif So excited for you to be getting Accutane! I also will be getting on it in about a month. Hopefully in a few months time we both will have the skin we desire. GOOD LUCK!

Edited by ahasegawa

you're so brave for posting pictures already! today is my very first day on accutane and i know it's going to take me a LONG time to finally do it. proud of you:) i'll definitely be checking back once your 30 days are up and you can start! good luck:)

-Colleen

you're so brave for posting pictures already! today is my very first day on accutane and i know it's going to take me a LONG time to finally do it. proud of you:) i'll definitely be checking back once your 30 days are up and you can start! good luck:)

-Colleen

Aww thanks! Actually I am not too insecure about posting pictures of myself because I am so hopeful for the future! I cant wait to start the accutane and be on a path to clear skin smile.png

Im curious- do you know why your doctor prescribe you such a high dose?? Im slightly jealous lol!

ALSO does anyone know if you can start accutane on the 30th day after your urine test? Because I really would like to start on my 30th day but I dont know if I have to start as of the 31st day :(

Edited by ahasegawa

It depends on how efficient your derm is. The first time I saw my derm was not for acne, it was my annual check up for moles and stuff. Fast forward about 2 months later, I was having the worst breakout of my life! I called him up immediately, and he saw me right away and was very concerned at how terrible (for a lack of a better word) my skin was ( I went from the occasional zit to my forehead, cheeks, chin, and neck breaking out!)

He called me right after he got my bloodwork in from my 2nd prego test, and told me to do my questions on ipledge right away and he'd send over the e-script to the pharmacy I provided him with. Unfortunetly my original choice in pharmacy did not carry my dose, so I had to wait a day for another pharamacy to order it.. So yeah, if your derm genuinely cares about you and your skin, he/she will do it as quickly as possible!

And as far as dosage goes, it all depends on your height, weight, and length of course! My derm told me the best course of treatment is a total dose of 125-150mg/kg.

Sorry this got so long... wacko.png lol

Hi,

Congratulations on starting accutane! I am also on Roche Accutane, 50 mg (30mg + 20mg) and I just started my 2nd month. As Im from Canada, some rules about Accutane are different here but I did my blood test (no urine first time) and received my Accutane prescription within few days. It was very fast! I read that people in US has to do tests, wait 30 days and then do tests again (?) However, you have amazing doctors there, really helpful and friendly, my derm do not care about my skin much, he never even looks at it when I go for check ups.

Side effects: I experienced huge headache when started but it went away when I lowered the dosage for 2 weeks. Also I experience some hair thinning, really got scared but started using all kinds of moisturizing masks and Nioxin shampoo, I hope it will be better.

Another thing, I got some red dry patches on my hands but they are better now.

Unlike others, my skin and lips are not very dry, I even do not need to use lots of moisturizer, my lips are not dry.

And I think Im getting my IB in the last week or so, cystic acne.. but Im not so worried.. as Im on accutane :)

I wish you good luck in this journey and will follow up on your log.

Cheers.

Melinda.

Edited by MelindaOne

Here's the process I went through:

Met up with derm and got blood test and urine test(pregnancy test) on the same day out of convenience. Then I had to wait exactly a month later to take a second urine test which was on the 15th of September. The following day, the 16th, I met up with my dermatologist, she entered my negative pregnancy test result in the system, I took the short test in the office( 7 mins maybe), she wrote me the prescription, I waited 20 minutes to get my pills at the pharmacy then took my first pill that night.

I think you might be my doppelganger! We're the same age, have the same skin type, and similar features. :D I know how frustrating it is when your acne isn't severe but is absolutely persistent when you're supposed to have grown out of it. I've got an appointment with a dermatologist in a few days, I'm crossing my fingers for Accutane... I'm tired of waking up and being scared to look in the mirror in case there are new monsters lurking on my face.

Anyway, good luck on your journey! :D

It depends on how efficient your derm is. The first time I saw my derm was not for acne, it was my annual check up for moles and stuff. Fast forward about 2 months later, I was having the worst breakout of my life! I called him up immediately, and he saw me right away and was very concerned at how terrible (for a lack of a better word) my skin was ( I went from the occasional zit to my forehead, cheeks, chin, and neck breaking out!)

He called me right after he got my bloodwork in from my 2nd prego test, and told me to do my questions on ipledge right away and he'd send over the e-script to the pharmacy I provided him with. Unfortunetly my original choice in pharmacy did not carry my dose, so I had to wait a day for another pharamacy to order it.. So yeah, if your derm genuinely cares about you and your skin, he/she will do it as quickly as possible!

And as far as dosage goes, it all depends on your height, weight, and length of course! My derm told me the best course of treatment is a total dose of 125-150mg/kg.

Sorry this got so long...wacko.png lol

Well update from my dermatologist. I have to wait 30 days AND THEN after that I can pick up my rx. So no early pick up for me. Sigh she is just looking out for the best for me so I should just appreciate this time before I start the drug and drink my fill before then ;)

Hi,

Congratulations on starting accutane! I am also on Roche Accutane, 50 mg (30mg + 20mg) and I just started my 2nd month. As Im from Canada, some rules about Accutane are different here but I did my blood test (no urine first time) and received my Accutane prescription within few days. It was very fast! I read that people in US has to do tests, wait 30 days and then do tests again (?) However, you have amazing doctors there, really helpful and friendly, my derm do not care about my skin much, he never even looks at it when I go for check ups.

Side effects: I experienced huge headache when started but it went away when I lowered the dosage for 2 weeks. Also I experience some hair thinning, really got scared but started using all kinds of moisturizing masks and Nioxin shampoo, I hope it will be better.

Another thing, I got some red dry patches on my hands but they are better now.

Unlike others, my skin and lips are not very dry, I even do not need to use lots of moisturizer, my lips are not dry.

And I think Im getting my IB in the last week or so, cystic acne.. but Im not so worried.. as Im on accutane smile.png

I wish you good luck in this journey and will follow up on your log.

Cheers.

Melinda.

Melinda,

How is it going so far?? Are you seeing any big differences at all? Im so nervous to go on accutane as I have such high hopes :(

Here's the process I went through:

Met up with derm and got blood test and urine test(pregnancy test) on the same day out of convenience. Then I had to wait exactly a month later to take a second urine test which was on the 15th of September. The following day, the 16th, I met up with my dermatologist, she entered my negative pregnancy test result in the system, I took the short test in the office( 7 mins maybe), she wrote me the prescription, I waited 20 minutes to get my pills at the pharmacy then took my first pill that night.

This is exactly what I have to do. Thanks for letting me know :)

I think you might be my doppelganger! We're the same age, have the same skin type, and similar features. biggrin.png I know how frustrating it is when your acne isn't severe but is absolutely persistent when you're supposed to have grown out of it. I've got an appointment with a dermatologist in a few days, I'm crossing my fingers for Accutane... I'm tired of waking up and being scared to look in the mirror in case there are new monsters lurking on my face.

Anyway, good luck on your journey! biggrin.png

Oh goodness! This is so coincidental! ^^ I really wish you best of luck at the dermatologist and I hope you get on accutane soon! If you do wouldn't it be funny if we were on the same dose?? I look forward to hearing about your appt and hope we can share in this journey together! :)

You are very pretty. Once your skin clears and evens out your gonna be a beautiful young adult.

Thank you so much! I am really looking forward to the day this is true :)

Hi have you tried the regiment?

Are you meaning have i started accutane? If thats it then no - I will take my first pill on 10/20/2011

Well update from my dermatologist. I have to wait 30 days AND THEN after that I can pick up my rx. So no early pick up for me. Sigh she is just looking out for the best for me so I should just appreciate this time before I start the drug and drink my fill before then wink.png

Yes, every girl in the US has that 30-day waiting period. That's not the case for girls in canada and Europe, lol. You have your first prego test, then wait at least 30 days from the first to have your second prego test. I thought you were asking if you can get your script the very same day as your second prego test, which is more of what I was referring to, lol. If your derm is effectual, it'll happen the very same day as your prego test. I know the waiting sucks! Been there :( It'll go by quickly though, and I'll be following your progress!

Hey smile.png I know you must be inpatient waiting for the day to start on Accutane! Was the same with me. I started on August 8th but had to wait about 3-4 weeks before only. My first 2-3 weeks were amazing, my skin did not produce any oil anymore, its such an amazing feeling when I do not have to reapply make up during day and no need to use blotting sheets! I did not have any new pimple during those 2 weeks, except my old ones (but I was getting 1-2 every day). After 3rd week my skin started breaking our with cysts.. now I get them every 3rd day or so.. very annoying and they stay for long time (hurts a lot too).. but somehow they fade away within a week. I mostly get them on forehead and chin.. my left side of cheek and nose are compltely clear and looks great (I did not have that before!). So yeah, I can definatelly see some slow improvements. I just hope that its Accutane that is pushing out all the cysts and when gone, they wont come back. So yeah, so far, I enjoy having dry (not extra dry) skin and my hair - they do not get dirty in about 5 days or more! I used to wash them almost every day.

Cant wait when you start Accutane, I will keep reading how you are doing! smile.png

Edited by MelindaOne

Hey smile.png I know you must be inpatient waiting for the day to start on Accutane! Was the same with me. I started on August 8th but had to wait about 3-4 weeks before only. My first 2-3 weeks were amazing, my skin did not produce any oil anymore, its such an amazing feeling when I do not have to reapply make up during day and no need to use blotting sheets! I did not have any new pimple during those 2 weeks, except my old ones (but I was getting 1-2 every day). After 3rd week my skin started breaking our with cysts.. now I get them every 3rd day or so.. very annoying and they stay for long time (hurts a lot too).. but somehow they fade away within a week. I mostly get them on forehead and chin.. my left side of cheek and nose are compltely clear and looks great (I did not have that before!). So yeah, I can definatelly see some slow improvements. I just hope that its Accutane that is pushing out all the cysts and when gone, they wont come back. So yeah, so far, I enjoy having dry (not extra dry) skin and my hair - they do not get dirty in about 5 days or more! I used to wash them almost every day.

Cant wait when you start Accutane, I will keep reading how you are doing! smile.png

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my log again! (Its kind of boring now since its just the waiting game until I can start)

As far as your experience goes this makes me excited and scared at the same time wacko.png

Did you have cystic acne before? I have never really experienced cystic acne before so it kind of scares me that it may cause cystic acne at first? (Price to pay for good skin later on nod.gif )

And as far as your hair goes I am SO excited for that! To be honest if I take a shower at night and I set my hair in curls- then next day when I wake up my hair is already oily! :( So it makes it almost impossible for me to do pin curls properly without feeling gross...which is so sad because I love that style ><;;;

Hey Ashley,

I know what you mean, my hair next day after washing was oily too, if I wanted my hair nice, I had to wash it every day. Now, I even forget that I have to wash my hair as they keep looking as just washed. My bf usually asks - Did you wash your hair today? Im like - No, I have to wash it today! (lol) So yeah, now I wash it only when I realize - Hmm, its been too long when I washed last time, when was it? :)

Yes, I always had cystic acne. But usually it was like one in a week or so, during my period it was little more. Now they come out almost every 3rd day and stay really long. However, if you never had cystic acne, do not worry about it. As reading many logs, I think Im the only one who has this problem. Other people are having great results and their skin is clearing very fast.

Take care,

M.

Keep up that positivity, Ashley. Sure your start date will come around before you know it.

And even if there is an initial breakout and things get a bit worse for a little while, just keep your long term goal in mind.

Here's wishing you the best of luck! :)

Keep up that positivity, Ashley. Sure your start date will come around before you know it.

And even if there is an initial breakout and things get a bit worse for a little while, just keep your long term goal in mind.

Here's wishing you the best of luck! smile.png

Thank you so much for your kind words! My dermatologist is actually prescribing me an antibiotic with the accutane to fight off the initial breakout (heres hoping that it works!) I am very excited to finally start my dose in 23 days! cheers!

I remember the whole waiting period...not fun to say the least... Crazy to think that was over a year and a half ago!

Keep your head up! Your skin is going to be clear and radiant before you know it!

I remember the whole waiting period...not fun to say the least... Crazy to think that was over a year and a half ago!

Keep your head up! Your skin is going to be clear and radiant before you know it!

Thank you so much for your kinds words! I literally have 19 days more until I start my course and can you say its KILLING ME!? I just want to start now!~ Haha

Countdown Begins - 19 Days to Go

Welp! We are now in the month of October and that means ....I GET TO START ACCUTANE THIS MONTH! eusa_pray.gif

I have never looked forward to going to the doctor so much in my life! I also have a strong fear of needles but I know this will all be worth it!

Emotionally I am excited but mostly nervous. I obsessively watch youtube videos are read articles on accutane to give me hope for my upcoming course. Everything points to that this will solve my problem...but I am so scared I will be in that small group that is not healed. I dont have Severe acne but I feel its not mild either.

I really would love to hear any encouraging words or anyone letting me know their success stories....

I start my 5 month course on 60 mg and I really hope the high dosage knocks my acne out of the park. Im ready to come to work with no makeup on and be confident! wub.png

Thank you so much for your kinds words! I literally have 19 days more until I start my course and can you say its KILLING ME!? I just want to start now!~ Haha

Welp! We are now in the month of October and that means ....I GET TO START ACCUTANE THIS MONTH! eusa_pray.gif

I have never looked forward to going to the doctor so much in my life! I also have a strong fear of needles but I know this will all be worth it!

Emotionally I am excited but mostly nervous. I obsessively watch youtube videos are read articles on accutane to give me hope for my upcoming course. Everything points to that this will solve my problem...but I am so scared I will be in that small group that is not healed. I dont have Severe acne but I feel its not mild either.

I really would love to hear any encouraging words or anyone letting me know their success stories....

I start my 5 month course on 60 mg and I really hope the high dosage knocks my acne out of the park. Im ready to come to work with no makeup on and be confident! wub.png

I just started my course on 9/26 (6 days ago). I am starting to feel the side effects and am starting out on 30mg/day.

Waiting for the first 30 days BLOWS!!! You just want to start so that you can get cleared up, but no! They make you wait for some dumb pregnancy test even when you haven't had sex.

So far, I haven't gotten any unusually bad breakouts...

hey! just thought id lend some support again. I have about 17 more days to wait....we can be accutane buddies since we will be starting at about the same time:) UGH STUPID IPLEDGE!! can you tell its getting to me?!?! lol. Anyways, you're not alone. I'm gonna be on 40 mg/day so I'm definitely gonna keep up w/ your log. I feel like we are in a similar boat.....not epically bad acne but bad enough at our age (20+!) & ready to have clear skin. I wish you all the luck in the world & when you start to clear up it will definitely give me hope !!

Edited by collegelaura

I just started my course on 9/26 (6 days ago). I am starting to feel the side effects and am starting out on 30mg/day.

Waiting for the first 30 days BLOWS!!! You just want to start so that you can get cleared up, but no! They make you wait for some dumb pregnancy test even when you haven't had sex.

So far, I haven't gotten any unusually bad breakouts...

I know it stinks so much! But again they probably implemented this because a handful of stupid people who did get pregnant on this drug and they claimed they didnt know. I swear stupid people ruin it for the rest of us responsible people!!!!

I am married so I am in that active crowd but Im also not dumb. If a doctor tells me it could cause issues and isnt safe then DUH I am going to listen :\ Thats so good to hear that you havent had horrible breakouts since starting. Have you seen improvements?

hey! just thought id lend some support again. I have about 17 more days to wait....we can be accutane buddies since we will be starting at about the same time:) UGH STUPID IPLEDGE!! can you tell its getting to me?!?! lol. Anyways, you're not alone. I'm gonna be on 40 mg/day so I'm definitely gonna keep up w/ your log. I feel like we are in a similar boat.....not epically bad acne but bad enough at our age (20+!) & ready to have clear skin. I wish you all the luck in the world & when you start to clear up it will definitely give me hope !!

We are definetely almost exactly the same arent we!? :) Literally we are only 2 days apart ^^

Have you heard the buzz around it being better to take accutane in your 20s? I heard your hormones have already settled to a point and so its easier to combat the acne.

Will you be making a log??? You should!! So we can check in :)