Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Michael.C

My Experience with Accutane

Hello everyone!

Well, I’ve been on this forum now for almost four years, today is my 21st birthday and I have finally decided to post my own experience in battling acne.

I started getting acne at the age of 14 as I recall, at that time, most of my bumps were small and would go away pretty fast, pretty typical teenage acne which I didn’t care much. But at the age of 16 to 17, my acne started to get worse and it eventually became moderate/severe acne, I would get deep cysts and large pus-filled bumps every single day and they would just take forever to go away. At that time, I didn’t really know how to deal with them, OTC products were my main solution and I just used pretty much anything that has “acne†written on.

Anyways, that’s when I found out about acne.org and started reading the forum religiously in search of a “cure†for my acne problems. At the age of 18 to 19(2009), I finally decided to go to a dermatologist, I tried Benzamycin at first, and it worked well. It dried my skin, my acne diminished but eventually it came back. On my second or third visit to the derm, I asked for something stronger, and I was offered Accutane. As I recall, I did 40 mg for the first few months, and 80 for the last months. Skin got good but not perfect. And it came back after 1 month.

Went to the derm again and started a second round, same dosage as first round. The results were magnificent, however, it returned again after 1 or 2 months (early 2011). To be exact, it didn’t “RETURNEDâ€, only three pimples popped up and I pretty much freaked out, since I was having the most perfect skin of my life during my second course and I had become quite obsessed with my skin ever since I started taking Accutane. I break out mainly on my cheeks, and occasionally on my nose and chin, mouth area, and rarely on my forehead. However after taking Accutane (since course 1), I never again got any cysts. I never broke out again on my nose or chin, only on my cheeks when each course finished.

So I went to the derm again. And started my third course of Accutane (April this year), this time, I just didn’t want to keep doing it, taking Accutane over and over again, as I knew that it isn’t a healthy option to treat my acne problems. And I stopped gradually after 3 months.

I’m now one month and ½ post Accutane. And my skin is good. I have made some changes to my diet and it seems to be working very well. I started to take Omega-3 in liquid form, and started making my own Kefir. I have eliminated carbs from my diet. I do still have the occasional pasta and bread, but I would say that I only consume it 2 to 3 times a month. Also, I’m making my own kefir, both milk and water, and I drink them religiously. Had started taking psyllium husk, 1 table spoon mixed in water before I go to bed. My skin is no longer oily and I must say that my diet has improved my skin quite a lot, I have also lost weight.

Maybe there are still Accutane in my body, I don’t know, but I’ll keep up with my current diet and see if it keeps me clear.

So this is my story, and here goes my 21st birthday wish: Keep my skin clear, that’s all I want! Thanks all for reading =)

First of all, I want to say: happy birthday! I hope you've enjoyed your day. Thanks for sharing your story.

I've had a combination of mild and severe acne for years. Every teenager got those regular mild pimples on their forehead, I really didn't care at that age (13). Since I became 14 (I'm 17 at the moment), I still get those huge, deep and painful cysts on the same area on my nose. I've went through 5 antibiotic-courses in the last few years. Minocycline didn't do anything for me, it was just a temporary 'solution'. However, I'm considering roaccutane for the cysts. Nothing seems to 'beat' those cysts. I'm not sure yet, I'm having doubts. I hope you might could help me out.

Well, based on my personal experience, I think that accutane did help me out quite alot, mainly by stopping the formation of cysts. I would still get pimples, but not the deep ones I used to get back when I was 16 or 17. Although now I do really think that diet plays a very important role in keeping your skin clear. In your case, I would maybe take 1 course of accutane to stop the cysts, and meanwhile towards the end of the course approach a more holystic way of curing your acne.

I went to my dermatologist today, guess what, she didn't even consider Accutane. Whenever I brought it up, she was like: 'NO'. I'm so desperate right now, because this cyst forming on my nose is getting bigger each day, do you might know what to do to prevent it from becoming bigger?

I don't think you can stop this specific cyst now that it has come up for a while, just don't touch it. Did your derm give you any topical? If yes, use that for now. I've used many topicals for acne, the ones that worked best were Benzamycin and Differin. what did she tell you to do regarding your acne? Did she give you any prescription or advice at all? And, can you tell me how's your diet like?

Good luck bud.