Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LifeIsAFemaleDog

How long do cysts usually last?

Okay I am really freaked out by this big bump under my left cheek. It doesn't hurt, the skin there isn't red, looks perfectly fine. It's hard, it's kind of oblong in shape underneath my skin (i can feel the shape as it's on my cheek so I can feel around the bump). I also have stupid pimples all over my face, and its description sounds like a cyst.

BUT I'VE HAD IT THERE FOR 5 YEARS

Back then when I had it my parents freaked out (I was young) and sent me to a major dermatologist clinic. They wanted to operate one me! But one old dermatologist there told us not to worry about it as I was too young to operate and it didn't look inflamed or anything, and told us to come back when it grows. Since then, nothing has happened, It did not grow nor hurt. I don't even feel it there unless i touch it.

And then...

I got that "cyst" before I hit puberty (that's why my parents freaked out) and after puberty and all the nasty pimples MORE cysts appeared. Now these new cysts are small and red and hurts when I touch and sounds just like the normal cysts that everyone have, BUT THEY WON'T GO AWAY EITHER.

Now I am really really really scared. I have not tried the Ice or Hot water treatment because I don't even know what these so-called "cysts" are and there may be side effects.

Can anyone help me out here? Will the regime on this website work?

(I think I'm going to die because of this I'm so freaked out..)

Edited by LifeIsAFemaleDog

Honestly, I'd see a doctor about it. It doesn't sound like acne. Even if they do surgery, it will be very minor. My acne cysts last between several weeks and several months and are always red and painful.

Acne cysts and sebaceous cysts are two different kind of cysts and the cyst you had before puberty sounds like a sebaceous cyst and according to most authorities they don't go away. Unless they become infected they are usually harmless, but they tend to get bigger and bigger over time (not always). They can be surgically removed, but since yours is in the facial area, you might require either a dermatologist who is a plastic surgeon, or have a dermatologist remove it and then go to a plastic surgeon if there are issues with scarring.

Sebaceous cysts are filled with sebaceous material which is white or yellowish and gives off a unique odor.

Don't confuse acne cysts with sebaceous cysts. Acne cysts are essentially pimples that form deep in the layers of the skin and do not express themselves through an open pore. There are several ways of treating them, which can include surgical removal or more frequently today cortisone injections.

Joe Zit

Thanks for clarifying about sebaceous and acne cysts.

So in the end I have to get an operation to get it out?! But there are so many cysts on my face which would not go away and I'd have to have surgery on all of them my face would look horrendous with all the scars anyways and it would be pricey...

I was wondering whether the initial cyst before my puberty began to spread all over my face where all the small cysts sprouted? Thanks!

I have cystic acne and have done TONS of research. I'm not sure if what you have is acne but on my quest to find something that works I came across castor oil which has many uses. One of them being a "castor oil pack" for cysts in general. I would be cautious if you want to go this route because I know some people who have very sensitive skin have issues w/ castor oil. I've been using castor oil packs on my acne cysts on my cheek, it greatly reduces the size and redness and draws out impurities. As of right now it's the best thing I've come across in dealing with these cysts and I've tried just about everything you can think of and I mean everything.

I used organic, cold pressed, hexane free castor oil from home health. They also sell the wool flannel you need for applying the castor oil. I get mine from a health food store where I live.

I had a cysts on my leg. Just a white lump. Didn't hurt or anything but it was weird. I was like 13 at the time. Then it got infected and I had to get it surgically removed. Since they're so deep they have to get the root out. If you try to squeeze or pop it the cysts will spread it's "roots" and cause more or so I was told by my derm. If it's not bothering you I wouldn't worry about it. If it gets bigger then see a doctor or if it hurts.