Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skaryx

Hi, My introduction, story, and shakeology

Hi Everyone, my name is Ari, I've never posted but I've been following this board since 2006 hoping to find my cure.

In 2006 I moved from my home in Maine to California to go to college. I didn't have horrible acne but my skin started to break out worse than it had due to new weather conditions I wasn't used to, plus the horrible LA smog. So I went to a dermatologist. He suggested I used Light Therapy, it's been so long and I blocked it out so I can't remember what kind. I just remember lots of sharp needles poking my face, a incredibly painful solution like someone was rubbing alcohol over open wounds, and a light that burned my skin. If that wasn't enough I had to stay in complete darkness for a week, and each session was almost $800. I had 5 sessions. My face broke out everywhere, I had massive cysts and types of pimples started showing up I'd never seen before. The little confidence I had as a freshman in college was completely shattered. By the way, the dr.'s name was Nissan Pilest in Orange County. I'll never forget it either, if you've thought about going to him, don't. The only advice they gave me after my five sessions was that I needed more for it to work. Which is what they told me after the three that were supposed to clear me.

Anyway, now having to adjust to this skin condition that was about 100 times worse than it had ever been and caused me to be a shut in for 6 months and I'll admit I had my share of teary nights, and I'm not much of a crier, I started to do research on how I could stop this problem without doctors. I wanted to do it naturally because I somehow got it into my head that the lights had opened pores that had never had problems but that the underlying cause of the breakouts was due to a high sugar, high junk food diet. I discovered the acne.org message boards. I even used dan's regimen for a while, but bp is not for me. I started research into nutrition, through the help of this board as well as other websites. The first thing I did was eat nothing but vegetables for a month. Not the greatest idea, I lost way too much weight, but I did see a slight improvement, however I wasn't getting the nutrients I needed. I started on a raw food diet and I started taking massive amounts of B5 due to the success I'd heard from the board. I was amazed at the results. It didn't clear me, but it brought my skin down to the point where I felt ok to leave my house, knowing it was noticeable, but I didn't feel like a monster. Then I started getting addicted to buying new vitamins. I ended up opening one of those vitamin store accounts and I got tons of gift certificates because I spent loads of money at the store. Some things helped, some things did nothing. At one point I think I was on Vitamin A, B's, C, D, E, K, Zinc, Copper, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Fish Oil, Acidophilous, Hemp Seed, Noni Juice (Gross), Chlorella, Aloe Vera, Chlorophyll, Oregano Oil, Red Clover, Enzymes, I'm sure there were even more but I can't remember it all. Slowly my skin started to improve, I still got breakouts, and I had good days and bad days, but overall it was getting better. At one point I had cleared everything but my forehead and then looking at one of the topics I decided to try taurine.

By the way my diet at this point doesn't involve any junk food or sugar. It was 95% organic and 5% all natural, no alcohol, no gluten, a large amount of raw and sprouted foods. Minimal meat, but I needed it cause I lose weight very fast and I've discovered chicken and grass fed beef doesn't do much to me, also lamb is great cause it is better for the digestive process. Anyway, I bought some taurine and I took the pills. 3 days later my skin broke out bad, particularly my forehead. So I kept taking it thinking it would get better. A month later, it's the worst it's been since the beginning and I'm freaking out. So I stop the taurine and I do more research, finally deciding it's time to try a liver cleanse. 5 liver cleanses later and a move back home to maine I was almost completely clear, and I stopped all vitamin intake. For almost a year my skin was just mild, a few breakouts here and there, somedays completely clear and I was happy. Then it came back out of nowhere. No change in diet, no change in anything. It just came back, not awful, but enough that I was unhappy about it. So I did another liver cleanse and it went back to mild. Then something awesome happened. I decided I needed to start exercising and my mom told me to start doing P90X with her (she's a dance teacher and loves it) so I started working out, I didn't notice an improvement in my skin, it stayed pretty much the same, but I did start putting on a little much needed muscle, which was really nice and the program really helped motivate me into staying healthier. I looked into getting some kind of protein powder because I really wanted to have that after workout shake that gave me the protein I needed without having to make a huge meal.

I had always been really weary of protein shakes because I didn't want them to screw up all the work I'd done nutrition wise and start causing breakouts but I looked into shakeology through beachbody who puts out P90X and was surprised to discover that it had some amazing ingredients. A full vitamin complex, enzymes, probiotics, amino acids, proprietaries like maca root, cordyceps, and other things I'd heard good things about, plus antioxidants, superfruits and phytonutrients all rolled into one. I even did research into if it had any help with acne and there were quite a number of people who had said it helped clear their skin. Thinking to myself that if it doesn't clear my skin at the very least it'll be a better alternative to other protein powders out there, I went ahead and ordered it. It was a little pricey but I've always been of the mindset that there is no better investment than in your health. Especially if it works, and I was pleasantly surprised. For the first time in years. Through working out, my diet, and the shakeology drink, plus my face wash which is just some natural thing I buy at wholefoods and have used for years. I was completely clear, but for some hyperpigmentation that was slowly going away. After 2 months my skin was flawless, I was so happy, and gained more confidence than I'd ever had. Then a little over a year later I broke out again, but a liver flush fixed it. 6 months later, broke out again, this time two liver flushes.

Which brings me to today, and perhaps you can help. I am happy with my diet (consists of eggs, quinoa, fruit juice sweetened gluten free granola, goats milk products, chicken, grass fed beef, lamb, spinach, beets, cucumber, carrots, acv, coconut oil, olive oil, almond butter, fruit juice sweetened jam, chips made from lentils, hummus, lentil soup, watermelon, apples, shakeology with raspberries, strawberries, sometimes blueberries, banana, goat milk kefir unsweetened, and apple juice, and occasional other things) I don't drink or eat sugar or fast food, or other junk foods, and everything I buy is organic. Recently I've started to break out, it's mostly on my forehead and I have to admit that I do pick sometimes and it tends to last longer when I do, I have a hard time controlling that. I did two liver cleanses, but this time I'm seeing no improvement, my skin gets bad, and honestly pretty bad on my forehead, and then it will go away for a little while and I'll be clear, and then it will come back, and I'm making absolutely no adjustments to my lifestyle to cause that change. I've been under the impression for a while that I have a leaky gut or candida issue or both and so I'm trying candex and I'm eating a bit of raw ginger and garlic each day, I also re introduced fish oil which I haven't taken in a while. My skin started to get worse and now it seems to be getting better each day and I hope it stays that way, I'm hoping maybe it was just a die off reaction, but I didn't feel any different I just noticed a worsening on my forehead.

I don't know if you guys can suggest anything that might help. I'm honestly ok, I've gotten to a point where I've been through so much, and I'm so happy that because of my experiences I'm such a healthier person in general, that even though there are times when my skin gets a little bad, it's never to the point it was, and it usually does get better, but now I'm looking for the end all, I'm looking for the "I never have to worry about this again" cure and I'm still not sure what that is, but I know I've gotten really close. So I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I might want to try that I haven't.

Thanks for reading guys, I know it's a lot, but I've been so appreciative in having this board to read different thoughts on over the years, it's been extremely beneficial and it's through the help of all of you that I got the the point where I am today, and I'm happy to be here, because it's not where I was 5 years ago.

I wanted to let you all know, and I'm honestly just trying to be helpful with this, but shakeology is what I felt really knocked me to where I wanted to be and kept me clear for a year. With all the ingredients that are in it, I'm not surprised that one of them could have pushed me to that place, but because I fell in love with the product and with doing P90X thanks to my mom I decided to become a beachbody coach because I thought it would be a good opportunity to help educate others on the importance of nutrition especially with all numbers of health problems facing the world, and not just acne. Obesitiy, heart disease, cancer, all can be thwarted by nutrition and holistic medicine. Many americans don't want to buy into it, but the sugars and dies, and hydrogenated oils, trans fat, hormone filled fast foods, these things that we feed to our kids are what are causing these problems and I wish I had known sooner. Thanks to the knowledge I've accumulated and the help of beachbody I've been lucky enough to help many people start living healthier lifestyles.

Anyway, if you're interested in shakeology, I do sell it through my affiliation with beachbody, but I'm not trying to sell you anything. It worked well for me, it may not work well for anyone, but I think it's beneficial for people interested to look at the ingredients and what goes into making it, because I was surprised at the quality of it, especially because for a protein shake it actually tastes good. You can read about it at

www.myshakeology.com/arimckay

but again I'm not trying to force anyone into anything, I've been with beachbody for a long time because of what I felt they provided me with and all I want to do is share the product with you, I really came here to share my story because I've been a guest here for so many years, and this is part of it. I'll be happy to answer any questions about it as well.

Other than that if you guys have any advice for me as to where I should go now, after all I've done with my regime's over the years I would love to hear it. I'm eager to try anything that might get me to 100% and rid me of this long overdue burden.

Thanks for reading guys,

Ari

@corgisoulpower Thanks for the hand ;)

I wanted to ask too, will a good moisturizer help with acne, I know it's good for the skin but I've always had this fear that it'll make me break out so I rarely ever moisturize, I don't know if that could be an issue, as well as I've been on such a backwards sleep schedule for a long long time, where I get up at noon or later and don't go to bed until 4 AM, I know it's not good for me, I just have bad insomnia.

Ari

Rofl, what a bunch of BS. Not to mention the random crappy shake this guy is trying to sell contains whey. It's quite possibly the worst thing an acne-sufferer could take.

Rofl, what a bunch of BS. Not to mention the random crappy shake this guy is trying to sell contains whey. It's quite possibly the worst thing an acne-sufferer could take.

I made a post after all this time to share my story and to ask some questions. The shake happens to part of my story, I'm sharing it, and yes I sell it, but I have no need for you or anyone else to purchase it, or even look at it, it may not be for everyone because everyone's skin is different, but it did help me, I also have never had a reaction to dairy, and not everyone believes that whey protein causes acne. I know for a fact that this particular protein powder is an isolate, and antibiotic and hormone free, and any lactose they may exist, which would be minimal is broken down by the lactase enzyme. People who want to workout and gain muscle use protein powder, even people with bad skin, I do, whey just happens to be the most common, but there are some really bad versions of whey protein too.

What it comes down to dude, is I don't care whether you think the shake is bad or not, but I don't like you calling everything else a bunch of BS. What happened to me, happened to me, it was life altering, and most of it was a terrible, awful experience that crippled me emotionally and confidence wise. You telling me that it's a load of BS is incredibly hurtful, whether you want to believe me or not. I've struggled just like you and everyone else on this board, all I was trying to do was share one of the many things that helped me. It wasn't a cure at all, but for me, and others, it's helped.

Sorry if I offended you somehow. But I please ask you, if you're just going to criticize me, leave your comments to yourself, it really does hurt my feelings.

Good job on clearing mostly. There must be something wrong with your liver if you're having to flush it so many times though. Also, you should probably try stopping the whey and see if that helps stop the last few outbreaks. Whey increases insulin by a hell of a lot

Good job on clearing mostly. There must be something wrong with your liver if you're having to flush it so many times though. Also, you should probably try stopping the whey and see if that helps stop the last few outbreaks. Whey increases insulin by a hell of a lot

Yes, whey is high in the insulinemic amino acids.

Whey can seriously damage your system not to mention it made my candida spread like crazy. My sister sells shakeology and I can tell you the second she stops it, she gets seriously constipated, and since using it I noticed she has been having far more frequent UTI's. I went to a naturopath sometime back and he had me on whey protein everyday, I was not lactose intolerant and always ate dairy. The whey protein was the straw that broke the camels back, after that I came down with dairy allergies alongside several other health problems all stemming from the whey. The shakes have other good things in them like maca and other adaptogens but I wouldn't recommend it due to the whey.