Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarlet_leaf

Why is gluten and genetically modified food so bad?

From what I've understood, gluten and genetically modified food cause acne? Or can they aggravate inflammation if you're allergic to them? What if you're not allergic to them? No one (friends and family) has explained this to me very well. I'm so confused. :think:

Gluten lectins damage your intestinal linings and lets undigested food particles into your bloodstream, mimics insulin and binds to receptors screwing your whole carb metabolism system and it's very common to be intolerant to it.

And, the lectins may specifically inhibit an enzyme involved dead skin cells exfoliating freely without clogging pores. Although we only have one Doctor's word on that and it applies to all seeds and many other foods. Most are destroyed in cooking and other preparation methods, but the lectins in gluten and soy are particularly hard to destroy.

And grains in general are our biggest source of Omega 6 fatty acids and most people get way too much.

We don't yet know all the reasons GMO'd food is bad for you to eat. There are tons of reasons why it's bad for us to grow though, especially if it was created by Monsanto.

In a study, a diet of entirely GMO food was fed to mice (a diet that they normally would be fed in lab conditions, but instead they chose GMO varieties). The mice became sterile after just one generation.

I will also note, all beans and grains contain damaging lectins, so just cutting out gluten and expecting results is a fallacy. You have to actually eat right. I laugh when I see people buying rice bread, or gluten free bread. Yea, gluten is bad but the stuff in those choices is just as bad. So instead of bread or grain products choose tubers and fruit.

Edited by moonbase

I will also note, all beans and grains contain damaging lectins, so just cutting out gluten and expecting results is a fallacy. You have to actually eat right. I laugh when I see people buying rice bread, or gluten free bread. Yea, gluten is bad but the stuff in those choices is just as bad. So instead of bread or grain products choose tubers and fruit.

All the others are not just as bad. They are not all equal and proper preparation and food combinations render most lectins in most other seeds harmless. Soy and gluten lectins are the most resistant and soy, gluten, peanut and kidney beans are the only ones found to permeate the intestines, at least those are all that are named in the studies I have found.

But yes, you shouldn't replace wheat breads with a lot other processed grain products. It's unlikely that they were prepared properly. You should limit grain consumption and prepare things yourself.

Edited by alternativista

All the others are not just as bad. They are not all equal and proper preparation and food combinations render most lectins in most other seeds harmless. Soy and gluten lectins are the most resistant and soy, gluten, peanut and kidney beans are the only ones found to permeate the intestines, at least those are all that are named in the studies I have found.

But yes, you shouldn't replace wheat breads with a lot other processed grain products. It's unlikely that they were prepared properly. You should limit grain consumption and prepare things yourself.

Just trying to help....

When someone is suffering from acne, things are already bad. Lectins in all beans are similar, and they are all damaging.. yes you can prepare them to limit consumption but to fully eliminate their toxicity, you end up bastardizing the food (soaking, and over cooking). Not to say beans are bad for everyone, as there are cultures which have consumed them in the past, but someone suffering from acne has a body that's in a poor state. It's like saying consume beer instead of vodka to avoid alcohol. It's all fuel on a fire. (dont forget phytic acid, and other anti nutrients in grains and beans)

Take away:

The idea is to repair the damage as quickly and efficiently as possible.. once that is done, the re-introduction of foods is fine, as long as there are some ancestral ties to eating said foods. Intestinal permiability is only one facet to look at.. the nutrient profile of beans/grains is extremely poor in comparison to tubers, fruits, meat/fish, and vegetables.

[edited to be less obtuse]

Edited by moonbase

Lectins in all beans are similar, and they are all damaging.. yes you can prepare them to limit consumption but to fully eliminate their toxicity, you end up bastardizing the food (soaking, and over cooking).

Overcooking is not required and soaking is certainly not 'bastardizing' anything. It's mimicking nature. And they aren't the same. A few, like castor beans, are deadly poisonous, others like those in soy, peanuts and kidney beans can harm intestinal linings while others, like those in broad beans are pretty near harmless. And most are bound up by very common glyconutrients in other foods you are most likely having with the beans so what few aren't destroyed by enzyme processes from soaking/fermenting and then cooking are bound up and rendered harmless

Not to say beans are bad for everyone, as there are cultures which have consumed them in the past, but someone suffering from acne has a body that's in a poor state.

Or not, at least not any worse than average. Maybe the acne sufferer is just someone who spikes their blood sugar too often while not getting adequate nutrition along with other poor lifestyle habits, as is the case of most people in western culture do these days. And therefore they have the chronic silent inflammation and elevated hormones that lead the symptom of acne in acne prone people. And it all goes away when we stop spiking insulin and eat some nutrients. As so happened in my case, all the many Atkins dieters I encountered during the last big Atkins fad that made me change my diet. And the many South Beach dieters in the publicized survey on the diet clearing people's skin.

Some people might have something more wrong than that. But not all of us. And we aren't inferior or less healthy than those with clear skin.

I'll make this short. I'm not here to butt heads - just trust me, I know a thing or two. Insulin only represents about 10%-20% of the compounds with "insulin-like" activity in the blood. The reason it spikes in some is because there body isn't producing the other compounds. Inflammation, and elevated hormones is incredibly complicated, and takes a long time to manifest (The only reason it pops up at puberty is because the body starts producing hormones which is lighting the fire that been building for years) - the damage is not like flipping a switch, its a long process to became hyper-inflammatory and hyper-androgenic. Yes those who suffer from acne are in a broken state - is it any wonder acne rates are sky rocketing from 50 years ago, or that primitive civilizations (ones living today as well) never experience acne at all? Anyways, I dont want to go back and forth with you, but it's massively complicated. As for your comments on beans/grains, i'm clueless as to what your talking about - the bottom line, the intestines are already damaged (grains/beans will make it worse), beans/grains are nutrient poor, and contain massive amounts of anti nutrients.

Some Posts that were lost, that I think people may find useful.

======================================================

Dairy is a mixed bag.. I wouldn't advocate dairy in an acne stricken individual. Most dairy has got some nasty stuff in it (especially the run of the mill stuff) however if you can find raw milk or or to a lesser degree organic pasteurized milk, it has some fantastic properties. The diet I would advocate wouldn't include it but once things are back to normal- drinking milk isn't a huge deal as it contains plenty of beneficial stuff in it. The idea is to repair the damage as quickly as possible so that you can return to eating other foods from time to time.

I think thats where my advice differs.. everyone here seems to be concerned about allergy this, intolerance that.. well it's not that simple. These allergies or intolerances are just symptoms of a body that's not working correctly. If you take a few months to really normalize everything, all those issues will suddenly go away. Its not like everyone suddenly turned into a celiac in the past two generations.

Insulin only represents about 10%-20% of the compounds with "insulin-like" activity in the blood. The reason it spikes in some is because there body isn't producing the other compounds. Inflammation, and elevated hormones is incredibly complicated, and takes a long time to manifest (The only reason it pops up at puberty is because the body starts producing hormones which is lighting the fire that been building for years) - the damage is not like flipping a switch, its a long process to became hyper-inflammatory and hyper-androgenic. Yes those who suffer from acne are in a broken state - is it any wonder acne rates are sky rocketing from 50 years ago, or that primitive civilizations (ones living today as well) never experience acne at all? Anyways, I dont want to go back and forth with you, but it's massively complicated. As for your comments on beans/grains, i'm clueless as to what your talking about - the bottom line, the intestines are already damaged (grains/beans will make it worse), beans/grains are nutrient poor, and contain massive amounts of anti nutrients.

Edited by moonbase

Jeez, it seems like there's no real consensus on this. rolleyes.gif But, it's really no wonder why people haven't figured out what causes acne, since there are dozens if not hundreds of factors involved (and it varies from person to person). Thanks for sharing, guys. I'm kind of waiting for some more input from others, though...

Jeez, it seems like there's no real consensus on this. rolleyes.gif But, it's really no wonder why people haven't figured out what causes acne, since there are dozens if not hundreds of factors involved (and it varies from person to person). Thanks for sharing, guys. I'm kind of waiting for some more input from others, though...

Yes, there are dozens of factors involved. And some factors have a bigger impact on some people than others. But the beauty is, the same basic diet and lifestyle habits help everything and I'm not just talking about acne. What you want is to eat primarily real, whole, nutrient dense foods, keep all meals (and drinks and snacks) low to moderate glycemic load and consume more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory and to avoid anything you have an intolerance for. Physical activity, sleep, stress, and various other health issues you might have are also factors. For example, physical activity/fitness and sleep both affect how well your body manages sugar among other things and so affect how strict your diet needs to be.

Foods with wheat or gluten are pretty much never anti-inflammatory or nutrient dense, especially when made into some processed trans fat and sugar filled baked good. And it's extremely common to be intolerant to wheat and gluten. Just about all seeds are going to be on the inflammatory side of the scale, from mild to extremely inflammatory.http://www.acne.org/...ar-skin-health/

Edited by alternativista