Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FaceValues

Going Out To Eat

What are your favorite places/types of places to go out to eat with friends and family?

It hadn't occurred to me to take this into account after my dietary changes, naturally. :rolleyes:

I was thinking pho and vietnamese food would be best since there are so many vegetables/fresh herbs (that you add yourself, which has always been cool to me) involved and the prices aren't outlandish, certainly not more that 10 dollars (I'm a cheapskate and there are tons of these kinds of places here in San Francisco).

Buuut I was looking up pho noodles and they're all made from white rice. =/

I could always get a veggie/black bean burger somewhere and ask them to use lettuce instead of bread, but the soy/feeling silly for the request...

Out of fear of being antisocial (I'm already meeting a friend for coffee and pie next week but my coffee and pie are being replaced with tea.:shifty:) and wanting to eat out every now and then...

What are your guys' thoughts and suggestions?

I'd go for the Pho or Bun. In fact, I had Pho last Sunday. It's pretty rare to have an intolerance to rice. So, there's only the Glycemic impact, but you don't have to eat all the noodles, and I think between the other ingredients and the fact that it takes a while to eat a bowl of pho, I don't think the GI is a big issue. Use chopsticks.

I'd go for the Pho or Bun. In fact, I had Pho last Sunday. It's pretty rare to have an intolerance to rice. So, there's only the Glycemic impact, but you don't have to eat all the noodles, and I think between the other ingredients and the fact that it takes a while to eat a bowl of pho, I don't think the GI is a big issue. Use chopsticks.

Cool, I figured it was probably okay but I wanted to double check. Pho is delicious.

Pho is probably in my top 3 favorite foods of all time. You could also take some fat and fiber beforehand to help lower the GI. Pho also comes with a bunch of herbs, limes/lemons, and other stuff that help make it a healthier meal too, so make sure not to stress out when you're eating it, and enjoy it when you do indulge. :)

Ohh, I hear ya, I hear ya.

What are some other places besides vietnamese that we can think of? Mediterranean comes to mind, or maybe Greek food.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you have gluten problems, the burger would be fine, since the meat will lower the overall GI. I don't think rice noodles have that high of a GI either. I think I googled it one time.

Mediterranean sounds great! I like to have Thai food every once and a while, the restaurant I go to uses fresh ingredients and stuff. I know that my local co-op has this neat magazine that has a list of all the restaurants in my city that use organic food, maybe there's something like that you can look for?

Mediterranean sounds great! I like to have Thai food every once and a while, the restaurant I go to uses fresh ingredients and stuff. I know that my local co-op has this neat magazine that has a list of all the restaurants in my city that use organic food, maybe there's something like that you can look for?

Oh yes Thai too and sushi. San Francisco probably has something like that...I'm gonna bank on it and keep my eyes peeled.

Ah you're in frisco, neat! Maybe there's some kinda website out there, I've found some nice organic restaurants through yelp before (I was surprised to find a pizza place that had organic ingredients, as well as gluten free crust). Best of luck!

I tend to go for mediterranean/italian, where I can eat seafood or fish. A classic for me is just grilled salmon with some sort of vegetable side (ratatouille or fresh mixed salad), or something like tuna tartar. Since I do occasionally (once in two weeks or so) eat red meat, sometimes I'll just order some nice steak. Grilled chicken is something else I order, I always ask what they marinate the chicken in though. The few restaurants I go to also always have quinoa or brown rice as a side which is great.

+ different salads (tuna nicoise, greek, etc.) and just ask for dressing on the side and drizzle some olive oil.

Japanese restaurants -- where I'll get a seaweed salad and a mixed plate of sashimi.

Indian -- the less perfect option, but I'll order lentil curry and tikka masala..however they DO add sour cream etc. to a lot of their curries, so I try to indulge in Indian less often.

I tend to avoid Chinese, etc. because they use cornflour to cook most of their meats + in most of their gravies/dressings..

It kind of all depends where you live. It's pretty easy to eat out healthily in London -- there's so many organic/health restaurants, and even if you go to a regular mediterranean, they're quite considerate and understanding to whatever dietary requirements you have. I realise this isn't really the case in a lot of smaller towns elsewhere, though.

Szechuan/Thai/Bangladeshi/Indian/Japanese cuisine is all great and has many healthy options to choose from.

Chipotle is an "ok" option if you have one where you live.

What are your favorite places/types of places to go out to eat with friends and family?

It hadn't occurred to me to take this into account after my dietary changes, naturally. rolleyes.gif

I was thinking pho and vietnamese food would be best since there are so many vegetables/fresh herbs (that you add yourself, which has always been cool to me) involved and the prices aren't outlandish, certainly not more that 10 dollars (I'm a cheapskate and there are tons of these kinds of places here in San Francisco).

Buuut I was looking up pho noodles and they're all made from white rice. =/

I could always get a veggie/black bean burger somewhere and ask them to use lettuce instead of bread, but the soy/feeling silly for the request...

Out of fear of being antisocial (I'm already meeting a friend for coffee and pie next week but my coffee and pie are being replaced with tea.eusa_shifty.gif) and wanting to eat out every now and then...

What are your guys' thoughts and suggestions?

i always order healthy stuff off the menu even if it isnt already a entree. for instance ill order steak with broccoli and a fresh garden salad, doesnt really matter where i go. you can eat healthy almost anywhere you go these days even mcdonalds. all fast food places have salads now adays, although i dont even go to fast food myself.