Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lisbeth Salander

Birth Control Nuva Ring Log

Background: I've never had perfect skin. I would get small pimples (whiteheads) here and there, mostly on my chin if they ever occurred. I have tiny whiteheads on my cheeks but they're not visible unless you actually get up close and examine my face (without makeup). I would get cystic acne maybe once or at most twice a month. I was told birth control can clear up acne but your body has to get used to it first for a few months before it clears up.

NOTE: I tend to change my regimen in hopes of fixing the problem, so my results aren't consistent.

I started using Nuva Ring August 28th.

Within 1st week: 4 pimples on the left side of my face, one of which was painful and cystic.

Regimen:

1. The Body Shop's green tea oil facial cleanser
  2. up & up facial astringent for sensitive skin
  3. 2.5% BP
  4. Cetaphil moisturizer
  5. 1% hydrocortisone and/or neopsorin (I forgot in which order I used it or if I just used one but not the other - sorry this was a few weeks ago)

The next day, the cystic pimple decreased in size and was less painful.

The next couple of days went by fine, I stopped using the cream and ointment, just did the cleanser, astringent, and BP, hoping the rest of the pimples will go away. They didn't.

The following week: Acne on my chin and the right side of my face, no painful ones, just painful to look at. By now, I feel self-esteem dip down to all time low.

My face has not broken out in this manner-- ever. The only other time my face broke out was from BareMinerals foundation (probably due to bismuth oxychloride) but they were milia, not big noticeable pimples.

Regimen:

1. The Body Shop's green tea oil facial cleanser & exfoliating scrub - I have since found out that it only makes things worse to exfoliate!
  2. up & up facial astringent for sensitive skin - I used to rub my face hard with the cotton pad, only makes things worse!
  3. 2% salicylic acid Clean & Clear advantage acne spot treatment
  4. 1% hydrocortisone and then neopsorin - bypassed the moisturizer, thought it was ok since I had the hydrocortisone cream

My face felt raw the next day. Pimples did not recede. Decided to stop using topical medication.

This week, 6 more pimples popped up on the left side of my face, one of which is cystic and painful.

My current regimen starting today:

1. The Body Shop's green tea oil foam facial cleanser - warm water and glide foam over face, rinse gently & lightly pat
  2. .5% salicyclic acid (Target brand)

Regimen:

1. The Body Shop's green tea oil facial cleanser & exfoliating scrub - I have since found out that it only makes things worse to exfoliate!
    2. up & up facial astringent for sensitive skin - I used to rub my face hard with the cotton pad, only makes things worse!
    3. 2% salicylic acid Clean & Clear advantage acne spot treatment - only on cystic acne
    4. 1% hydrocortisone - not using the neosporin anymore since hydrocortisone seems to have good reviews on its own
    5. cetaphil moisturizer - face feels kinda dry

Wish me luck!

Ugh I had Nuva Ring and it helped with my acne but I had to get off it because it completely changed who I was as a person (when it altered my hormones) and I broke out AWFULLY afterwards!! And it never stopped. That's why I'm on the Regimen now. I hope you don't have as bad an experience with Nuva Ring as I did :(