Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been fighting a constant battle very very persistant acne. I wouldn't say it was "severe", but definitely could be much better. In any case, I have been taking Clindamycin since January, and my Derm just wrote me a new Rx for 6 more months of it...I feel like I could have been done with round 2 of Accutane by now. Anyways...I am wondering now if my makeup is hurting my cause.

I recently switched to using Alpha Hydrox Cleanser (previously used Cetaphil Bar, per Dr. instructions). And I am using the Alphy Hydrox lotion with AHA. Not making it better, but not worse either.

I have been using Almay Clear Complexion makeup for as long as I can remember. I ordered some Everyday Minerals, but my skin is so dry/oily and everything in between...it comes off around my mouth by the end of a work day, and looks clumpy in other places. Also, I feel like I get tiny flesh colored bumps when I use it.

Now the problem I am seeing is that even if my Almay foundations goes on and looks good in the morning, by lunch hour its got an orangeish hue to it. I have noticed that as I get older (I'll be 25 in a month) my skin is actually producing more oil than before!....I also think this could be attributed to my using a cleanser and not a soap anymore (which I was using for yearsssssss).

As winter approaches, and I become more pale, I'd like to nail my makeup routine down. I am greek and have very light, yellow toned skin, which I feel looks very mousy...so anything I can do to look more dewy and brighter would be appreciated as well. I don't like to look like I'm wearing makeup, I'm a very plain kinda gal...

Thanks in advance!

I have been fighting a constant battle very very persistant acne. I wouldn't say it was "severe", but definitely could be much better. In any case, I have been taking Clindamycin since January, and my Derm just wrote me a new Rx for 6 more months of it...I feel like I could have been done with round 2 of Accutane by now. Anyways...I am wondering now if my makeup is hurting my cause.

I recently switched to using Alpha Hydrox Cleanser (previously used Cetaphil Bar, per Dr. instructions). And I am using the Alphy Hydrox lotion with AHA. Not making it better, but not worse either.

I have been using Almay Clear Complexion makeup for as long as I can remember. I ordered some Everyday Minerals, but my skin is so dry/oily and everything in between...it comes off around my mouth by the end of a work day, and looks clumpy in other places. Also, I feel like I get tiny flesh colored bumps when I use it.

Now the problem I am seeing is that even if my Almay foundations goes on and looks good in the morning, by lunch hour its got an orangeish hue to it. I have noticed that as I get older (I'll be 25 in a month) my skin is actually producing more oil than before!....I also think this could be attributed to my using a cleanser and not a soap anymore (which I was using for yearsssssss).

As winter approaches, and I become more pale, I'd like to nail my makeup routine down. I am greek and have very light, yellow toned skin, which I feel looks very mousy...so anything I can do to look more dewy and brighter would be appreciated as well. I don't like to look like I'm wearing makeup, I'm a very plain kinda gal...

Thanks in advance!

The orange-ish hue could be a couple things:

1. Your color(Almay) is too pink for your yellow tone skin.

2. Your oils from your skin are turning the foundation color orange. Did the Everyday Minerals turn orange on you?

Do you use the AHA before you put on your makeup? I could suggest a primer. But primers can wreck havoc even on skin not prone to acne. You just need to find the right one. A primer would help keep your makeup in place and not allow your makeup color to change.

Also you could maybe tweak your shade a little and go more for a yellow base. Pink undertones in makeup will most often go to the orange side. Most women have some yellow in their skin to begin with-even if your skin is red. Yellow balances out most complexions.

Ooop-my last part didn't post-

If the Almay works for you and doesn't cause a reaction I would stick with that foundation. Just try to adjust the color. Go maybe a shade lighter and one with more of a yellow base.You could mix 2 Almay shade foundations. I've used two different shades for as long as I can remember. I don't fit one shade. I doubt many women do!

I seem to have summer's shade nailed down, winter is just a hot mess for me in all areas. As for the primer, I am soooo scared to try. I was even scared to try the AHA!

I will try mixing the two shades that I have now and we will see what happens.

Do colors called "natural" tend to pull more pink than yellow?? I was under the impression that they didn't have any base and both ends could wear them. I also have a buff and a sand (which is my summer)

Or do you know of another, non irritating make up that is known for their yellow undertones?

thanks for your tips!

I seem to have summer's shade nailed down, winter is just a hot mess for me in all areas. As for the primer, I am soooo scared to try. I was even scared to try the AHA!

I will try mixing the two shades that I have now and we will see what happens.

Do colors called "natural" tend to pull more pink than yellow?? I was under the impression that they didn't have any base and both ends could wear them. I also have a buff and a sand (which is my summer)

Or do you know of another, non irritating make up that is known for their yellow undertones?

thanks for your tips!

Natural or do you mean Neutral? I am a neutral. Meaning I share both in cool and warm undertones. When in doubt -go neutral. I also always go a little lighter and tend to favor a shade with more yellow base than pink. Pink based foundations (even being a neutral) look to much like a foundation on my face..if you know what I mean? Plus, with a hint of yellow it counteracts any redness you may have from a pimple, sensitive skin,etc.

Primer. I wish I could. But, I just can't bring myself to put it on my face. I have friends with perfectly fine skin(no reactions-acne) and they use a primer-and will get pimples. They may be using the wrong one..but primers in themselves are really the same in ingredients. They generally consist of some form of silicone. My skin does not do silicone. That being said-you may be able to work a primer. Everyone is different.

I use Hello Minerals Makeup. I favor mineral makeup over liquid. I have sensitive skin, oily t-zone, and acne normally on my chin.(though as of now I am clear!! knock on wood). Mineral makeup keeps my skin from reacting(acne) and the oils under control. It's also quick fix makeup for me. I like makeup but don't wont to spend hours in the bathroom putting it on. I touch up through out the day-mostly on my t-zone. I would have to do touch ups even if I wore a liquid. I use pretty much all their products but I use a lot of the Finishing Minerals. I carry that with me in my bag. That is my go to when my skin seems more oily than ever. Mostly in the summer-not so much in the fall/winter.

http://hellominerals.com/

I hope this info helps!

Savedbygrace- I would like to give you some advice on several levels. One acne is greatly connected to a toxic bowel and a disruption of good bacteria in your intestines and colon. If you use antibiotics (which you said you did) this will make acne much worse with time. Everyone has good bacteria in their digestive tract that holds the bad bacteria at bay, when you take antibiotics it kills off both the "good" bacteria and bad, so when you discontinue the antibiotics the "bad" bacteria can proliferate and breakouts may get much worse. I am guessing you may have some sort of digestive problems as well as this is the case with a unhealthy environment. Toxins that are not excreted via your detoxification pathways such as your bowels, urine or sweat will come out your skin. Sugar and a processed diet feed a bad digestive environment so you should try to make sure to eat as clean of a diet as possible (whole foods etc). As for cosmetics everyday minerals foundations have laurel lysine (a coconut derivative in them) which has caused breakouts for many people as well as it can make the makeup slide throughout the day. Drugstore makeup brands have a laundry list of additives, fillers and chemicals which can add to already aggravated skin, you may have an allergy to one of the 30 ingredients and it would be difficult to narrow down which chemical or filler in the product that is causing breakouts which is why I only use products for myself that are as close to nature as possible, with the least amount of fillers. My face has been great since I have changed from mainstream foundations to a natural brand, the brand I use covers well and looks dewy but doesn't break me out or slide. I would highly recommend looking into taking a probiotic though if you continue to use the antibiotics as they are killing off your good bacteria you need to stay healthy in general. Probiotics are good bacteria and can be found in kefir (yogurt drink), organic yogurt brands and in pill form. Good luck! God bless :)

Savedbygrace- I would like to give you some advice on several levels. One acne is greatly connected to a toxic bowel and a disruption of good bacteria in your intestines and colon. If you use antibiotics (which you said you did) this will make acne much worse with time. Everyone has good bacteria in their digestive tract that holds the bad bacteria at bay, when you take antibiotics it kills off both the "good" bacteria and bad, so when you discontinue the antibiotics the "bad" bacteria can proliferate and breakouts may get much worse. I am guessing you may have some sort of digestive problems as well as this is the case with a unhealthy environment. Toxins that are not excreted via your detoxification pathways such as your bowels, urine or sweat will come out your skin. Sugar and a processed diet feed a bad digestive environment so you should try to make sure to eat as clean of a diet as possible (whole foods etc). As for cosmetics everyday minerals foundations have laurel lysine (a coconut derivative in them) which has caused breakouts for many people as well as it can make the makeup slide throughout the day. Drugstore makeup brands have a laundry list of additives, fillers and chemicals which can add to already aggravated skin, you may have an allergy to one of the 30 ingredients and it would be difficult to narrow down which chemical or filler in the product that is causing breakouts which is why I only use products for myself that are as close to nature as possible, with the least amount of fillers. My face has been great since I have changed from mainstream foundations to a natural brand, the brand I use covers well and looks dewy but doesn't break me out or slide. I would highly recommend looking into taking a probiotic though if you continue to use the antibiotics as they are killing off your good bacteria you need to stay healthy in general. Probiotics are good bacteria and can be found in kefir (yogurt drink), organic yogurt brands and in pill form. Good luck! God bless :)

Thank you very much for the tips...would you mind sharing what makeup you have been using? To be honest, I'd rather just stop the antibiotics of all kinds completley. It's not really making it better anymore. I am okay digestive wise, I do take fiber daily. I am sure I have to have some sort of allergy to something, I am the only person in my family to ever suffer from Acne....

I have hormonal acne and used to make it worse by the makeup I was using, bare minerals then switched to revlon colorstay. Pretty good with coverage but I would get lots of blackheads & whiteheads and I'm sure it contributed to making my cystic acne worse. I now use Physician's Formula, my aesthetician gave me a list of harmful products that most makeup co's use and this line is the only one I found that didn't contain any of them (and there's a lot). I have fair skin and the foundations run fairly light. I use nude correcting primer which makes for really good coverage, then liquid foundation and I finish off with correcting powder, the main thing is you need to make sure each thing is dry before you try to apply the next thing. I haven't been this happy with my makeup in about 7 years, I have lots of red scars and it covers them up better than any other makeup I've tried.