Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy-33

Accutane log

Hello!

Thought i'd do a log for me to look back on in the future and also to help any others (and hopefully get a few answers along the way). Started about a month ago but will try and remember.

I had a bit of acne from 15ish which was annoying but nothing major, but since going to uni in Sept 09 it got alot worse. Never really many cysts, just consistent acne on cheeks, chin. Tried antibiotics from doc which didnt work, found myself stuck in the rut of blindly using Panoxyl BP for months and months on end despite no results. Realised I was about to turn 20 and I was just sick of it, if I'm to go out into the big wide world I don't wanna be 'that new kid in the office, yeah the spotty one'. So went to dermatologist who without hesitation put me on Roaccutane.

Dose: 75mg/day

First pill: 12th August 2011

Because I'm a methodical geek I'm gonna assign a number for how clear my skin is (10 being completely clear) , and how severe the side effects are (10 being completely intolerable).

I've been told 4 months, so if thats Aug 12th-Dec 12th = 122 days.

edit: turns out 4 months means 16 weeks, so 110 days.

0 weeks completed (12th August) - 0% done

First pill.

Skin: 3/10

Side effects: 0/10

1 weeks completed (19th Aug) - 6% done

Started to get dry skin on face and dry lips after only a few days. Ever since I try to carry a small 'Simple' brand moisturiser and chapstick wherever I go. Acne remained fairly constant.

Side effects: 2/10

2 weeks completed (26th Aug) - 13% done

Really bad 'initial breakout' of hard whiteheads around chin and cheeks, luckily had a lazy weekend so didn't have to leave the house much!

Skin: 1/10

Side effects: 3/10

3 weeks completed (2nd Sept) - 19% done

Breakout went away. I'd say I'm at about the same level as when I started now. Nose started to become dry and have constant dried-blood snot (lovely!). Emailed derm and she said apply vaseline at night (despite apparently unfounded rumours online about dangers of this..) although haven't got round to this yet.

Side effects: 4/10

4 weeks completed (9th Sept) - 25% done

Looking a bit better actually. Just got to keep on dealing with the three musketeers of side effects: nose, lips, dry face. Nose is getting pretty annoying though and painful at times. Haven't got round to getting the Vaseline.

Skin: 4/10

Wish me luck! cool.gif

Edited by Andy-33

Hi Andy, best of luck with your course! :D

Great idea to post a log, helps you keep track of things and perhaps inspires others along the way. By the same token, the other logs of people who are further along in their course will give you loads of advice and information on how things might progress and how best to cope with the side effects and all.

I like your scoring system, I do something similar. I break it down into six areas - forehead, left side, right side, nose, above my top lip and chin - and then score how it's doing out of six. I find that it helps me stay a bit more positive. Sometimes find myself looking in the mirror and thinking, 'Yay! I'm winining, 4-2!' I'm such a geek! :lol:

:hifive:

Edited by PaulH85

5 weeks completed (16th Sept) - 32% done

Went on holiday, so skin was under more pressure than normal. Used suncream most of the time, for the times I forgot the effects weren't too severe. I've started getting dry arms around the bicep and shoulder area, and had my first nosebleed.. was trying to clear out my nose (disgusting I know..sue me) and must have gone a bit too far so had an actual nosebleed..which is a shame because I'd hoped I wouldn't get any (really hope I don't get any at uni once I go back..will have to leave nose alone).

Got some vaseline for nose which works and use it on my lips too, but only when at home because its too shiny otherwise. Getting some weird back/inside pains after i've bent over and in certain lying positions, however I did have some of that before the pill. Anyone heard of such things?

Also, fingertips on left hand were peeling like crazy, I assume its only left hand cos I play the guitar (not only does the peeling look horrible but it ruins my well-earnt calluses, so guitar now hurts a bit more). Using vaseline on those overnight has helped.

Skin a bit worse than end of last week, but then got even worse in the middle of the week, however I'm home now and its looking ok again.

Oh, thought I should mention..was a bit of a heavy week alcohol wise, normally 3-4 pints worth at least a day..I know thats naughty, but most of it was with big meals.. am off to uni next week, gonna try and cut down on the booze but if its a mates birthday to a big cheesy/shit nightclub..what else can i do??

Side effects: 5/10

Edited by Andy-33

6 weeks completed (23rd Sept) - 38% done

Had a breakout at the beginning of the week all over left cheek and a bit below which was annoying and slightly painful to wash. However within days it had started to dry up and by now most of them are red marks rather than active spots. Few spots in the annoying area between the eyes, one of them's quite big. But cheeks looking better daily. Had a little bit of ezcema on forearm but went away after a few days of frequent moisturising. Arms still dry, lips still dry, face is a bit better dry-wise. Fingers still peeling and dry, urgh

Skin: 5/10

Side effects: 5/10

Edited by Andy-33

Hey Andy :) Good to hear that you have seen improvements in your skin. A bonus that the side effects don't seem to have got worse. Looking on the bright side and all that...

:hifive:

7 weeks completed (30th Sept) - 45% done

Not bad at all. Chest till got quite a few painful spots on it, but cheeks are clearing of active spots nicely. Still, am left with red marks on the cheeks and I suspect they'll be there for a while cos I haven't been spot free there for ages and ages. Few spots between eyebrows which are probably the worst spots i've got at the moment, but I think they'll clear up soon. No increase in side effects, if anything my fingertips are less dry and face needs moisturising less often. Looking forward to 12th October, from then on i'll be in the third month which is where apparently the most improvement can happen.

Skin: 6/10

Edited by Andy-33

nice to see that you're getting nice results man, haha by the end of the course your skin will be 11/10!! I love how to write your log, so simple yet so detailed.

8 weeks completed (7th Oct) - 51% done

Skin a lil worse.. spots between eyebrows failing to clear up as well as some new ones around the cheekbone areas, which is a shame. They are a different kind of spot than what I'm used to though - a bit more itchy but not as red. Noticing my scars more as its starting to get cold which seems to highlight them compared to the rest of the paler skin. Side effects largely the same, the main thing is lip balm and to make sure my fingertips dont get too dry (they are really bad after a shower). Actually come to think of it arms have stopped being dry which is good! Nearly into third month, hopeful that this is the last ‘breakout’.

Skin: 5/10

Also gonna copy blackers92 and post a 'song of the week', the song I've been most into that week..

Song of the week: Steely Dan - Deacon Blues

nice to see that you're getting nice results man, haha by the end of the course your skin will be 11/10!! I love how to write your log, so simple yet so detailed.

Edited by Andy-33

9 weeks completed (14th Oct) - 57% done

Skin looking good. Apart from scab inbetween eyebrows from that long lasting spot last week, only a few here or there around edge of face. Mostly red marks on cheeks, which is no surprise since they havent been clear for years. They're not indents or anything like that (smooth to the touch) so hopefully will fade with time. Been forgetting to mention chest in this log, I don't really care about it as much as face so might start giving it its own rating. Have a huge spot there which is fairly high up which is annoying cos I have to wear tight neck tshirts to hide it! Barely noticing side effects, have been lip-balming less, dont notice nose, only occassionally need moisturiser! Which is v good!

Face: 6/10

Chest: 3/10

Side effects: 2/10

Song of the week: Kanye West - POWER

Edited by Andy-33

10 weeks completed (21st Oct) - 64% done

Skin got a lil bit worse, with spots popping up just under jawline on neck. Chest got a lil better but not much.

Face: 5/10

Chest: 4/10

Song of the week: Bon Iver - Towers

Edited by Andy-33

Had a meeting with dermatologist to get new supplies, blood test etc. My last pill is going to be on the 30th November (soon!) not 12th dec (turns out 4 months means 16 weeks, rather than 4 calender months. so now its 112 days, but turns out I've lost 2 days of pills..so 110 days) so gonna go update all my 'done' percentages above, haha.

She said if I still have active spots by then I can go on another month, but at 40mg not 75.. which is good I suppose but I was kinda hoping to be off the pill by christmas.

11 weeks completed (28th Oct) - 70% done

Spots under jawline not really cleared up but generally looking ok, except for few new ones on cheek area :/ Scars from old spots also looking a bit redder, if thats possible... Now that its only 110 days rather than 122 I'm now 70% (!!) done.. I seem to be having breakouts followed by recovery to better than before the breakout (phrased very badly, sorry!) which is promising I guess. Kinda concerned that I've only got 33 days left when most people have really good results by then..

Face: 5/10

Chest: 5/10

Song of the week: Jimi Hendrix - Wind Cries Mary

Edited by Andy-33

12 weeks completed (4th Nov) - 76% done

Very happy with this weeks progress biggrin.png Was able to finally (!!) take a passport photo yesterday, before this week was set on borrowing some kind of make-up for my face for it.. but alas, it came out well!

Everything on the face drying out and clearing, I've got one spot on the outskirts of my left cheek but other than that its just old red marks! Chest is taking a bit longer, I've always known the spots there are a bit more persistent and last longer.. I've got a few active spots there still but I don't really worry about them as much. I guess if I've still got active spots at all anywhere by the time I run out (30th Nov) I'll get the extra month of 40mg.

But yeah..going well. Been making sure to have my pill after big (preferably fatty) meals as i've heard is good.. side effects are slightly worse but not much.. lips are a bit dryer this week but not much (I can feel it working that way!)

Happy smile.png I only hope the next few weeks logs are as positive.

Face: 7/10

Song of the week: Roscoe (Wizard's Sleeve Remix) - Midlake. I am really loving the 'LateNightTales' series while doing work..recommend the Air and Groove Armada ones to anyone looking for some cool chillout music

Edited by Andy-33

13 weeks completed (11th Nov) - 83% done

Not as positive as last week I'm afraid sad.png A few big spots on my upper left cheek arose on the exact day of a big job interview.. (I didn't get it, but I dont blame my skin tongue.png!). The red marks also seem to be a bit redder although I don't know how that works.. I think its mostly due to lighting tbh! I'm starting to think my chest spots aren't going away because I have my headphone wire up under my t-shirt most of the time, which would probably cause irritation..what do we think about that?

Song of the week: Bon Iver - re:Stacks. Saw Bon Iver on friday night, it was unbelievable.

Edited by Andy-33

14 weeks completed (18th Nov) - 89% done

Looking good, spots from last week have finally dried up, but did suffer through another fairly big spot on my right cheek, but thats on the way out too now. Bit frustrating that I keep looking good one week then it goes to shite the next! Chest spots dont seem to be making any effort to go away.. plus my lips have been a lot drier than usual.

Face: 7/10

Song of the week: Antlers - Epilogue

Edited by Andy-33

So as instructed by my doc, I'm having another month when I run out, but on 40mg. Total days is now 138.

15 weeks completed (25th Nov) - 76% done

Looking ok, cant seem to stay spot free for more than a few days.. have a big one by my eyebrow which is annoying, plus a little one near my mouth. Glad that i'm on for another month.

Song of the week: Black Friday - Steely Dan

17 weeks completed (9th Dec) - 86% done

I would have sworn I did an update last week.. seem to remember internet playing up or something.

Skin is looking good. Had a huge huge cysty thing on neck which was annoying and is taking forever to go away but it isn't really red and it doesn't bother me much. Face looking very good, only thing left now really is scars from old spots. Going on hols to mexico over xmas, I know I shouldn't be in the sun really but I'm on half dose and will suncream up well so I'm sure it'll be fine.. the sun has been really good to my skin in the past.

New years eve is a slight worry with the whole 'dont drink too much on accutane' thing. But my last pill will be on the 30th so I'm sure I can allow myself a celebration.

Also.. I understand Accutane is meant to be a 'cure' not just a treatment..but man those weeks after your last pill must be nervewracking, I'm gonna be waking up every day and immediately checking for new spots! What if they come back? :\

Face: 8/10

Chest: 7/10

Song of the week: Sufjan Stevens - The Tallest Man, The Broadest Shoulders

Edited by Andy-33

hello! sorry for complete lack of updates, trust me to never see anything through!

had my last pill 10 days ago, and for the timebeing i'm looking good. still got red marks and scars, but ordered some bio-oil which is meant to work well for that kind of thing.

By my 'rating' system my face has probably been an 8-9 since last time i posted, can't really get to 10 without doing something about these red marks.

Had one tiny spot just before I came off the pill but it went away in under a day! However about a week ago I got one on my cheek and I started worrying that they were coming back.. it was very resilient (but very small) and has only just gone away, but other than that I haven't had any. Apparently the pill takes 15 days to get out of your system, so I am very nervous for when that day comes about and my skin has to fend for itself!

Will probably post again infrequently to note how its going.

Actually I've decided to post a before-after:

Very happy with results :) Lets hope they dont come back! Thanks for everyone who followed and best of luck.

post-112363-0-71792000-1326233982_thumb.

post-112363-0-71792000-1326233982_thumb.

Edited by Andy-33

haha it's the first time I've checked this forum in over a month and you're done! Nice results man! Keep moisturizing and those red marks will fade over time, the derm said it would take close to a year for them to fade.

Great post man, best of luck to you! :D