Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xReactionz

benzoyl peroxide vs salicylic acid

Alright these two are the two most well known acne fighters..... but which one comes out on top?

I personally have tried both directly on similar cysts at the same time overnight and the both had no effect from what I could tell the morning after.

So which do you guys prefer and why?

Ive used both but feel that BP, when used regularly, loses it's potency...my skin gets accustomed to it for some weird reason....

So I use salicylic acid cream regularly after a natural toner by Boots. But I make sure that I use a 2% SA treatment. Anything less doesn't seem effective. Clearisil has a nice 2% salicylic acne exfoliating cleanser that I like to use 1-2/week.

I have a 7% Benzoyl Peroxide cream that I use when I really need that extra help. But I try to limit that to 1-2 per week. (I really don't need to use it that much anymore since I've been using a facial cleansing wipe instead of an acne cleanser and water)

Hope that helps!

Ive used both but feel that BP, when used regularly, loses it's potency...my skin gets accustomed to it for some weird reason....

So I use salicylic acid cream regularly after a natural toner by Boots. But I make sure that I use a 2% SA treatment. Anything less doesn't seem effective. Clearisil has a nice 2% salicylic acne exfoliating cleanser that I like to use 1-2/week.

I have a 7% Benzoyl Peroxide cream that I use when I really need that extra help. But I try to limit that to 1-2 per week. (I really don't need to use it that much anymore since I've been using a facial cleansing wipe instead of an acne cleanser and water)

Hope that helps!

It does thanks!

SA is good for some spot treatment, but I really can't rely on it. Only BP got rid of my acne. Also, 10% BP gets rid of my cysts while SA definitely doesn't (or at least not the brand I used). Sure, BP is super drying and kind of irritating, but I can deal with it if it gets rid of my acne.

Neither is really better, because both ingredients work differently. Plus, not everyone can handle one over the other, or either of them. I can't use either of them as they irritate my skin.

BP is generally used to dry out and kill the bacteria in the acne. It can be quite strong and can potentially burn the skin, and can dry the skin out quite a bit.

SA is used to help dissolve the dead skin cells, the oil and the bacteria. So it helps bring down the acne by chemically exfoliating the area. This can also lead to dryness and irritation.

I do not recommend getting both, as you should test out each ingredient separately first to see if you react to one of them or not. I'd recommend SA first as it's likely to be gentler on the skin, and if it doesn't seem to work well, try BP.

Alright these two are the two most well known acne fighters..... but which one comes out on top?

I personally have tried both directly on similar cysts at the same time overnight and the both had no effect from what I could tell the morning after.

So which do you guys prefer and why?

I loathe Salicylic Acid, it has never done anything good for my skin and if anything happens, it makes things worse for me. My acne is very persistant and Salicylic Acid is way too weak for me.

So I'm going to have to say Benzoyl Peroxide.