Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pord

How long does a 4 oz. bottle of sunscreen last you?

Hey!

Thanks for stopping by to take the time to read this post.

I was wondering if "won't clog pores" really makes a difference with sunscreen/sunblock? It seems that the higher levels of SPF "clog pores".

I just finished taking accutane about a month ago (I took it for six months). I no longer have active acne. However, I live in Brazil currently and I am alwaysin the sun. I have a bunch of red marks and my face is pretty red from the medicine. I am looking for a good sunscreen/block that I could use.

If I don't have any active acne do I need to worry about the whole "won't clog pores"? Also, is there a sunscreen/block that you would recommend?

Thanks so much!

Edited by Pord

According to WebMD SPF 15 blocks out approx. 94% of UVB rays while SPF 30 blocks out approx. 97% of UVB rays and SPF 45 blocks out 98% of UVB rays.

Basically, higher SPF doesn't mean better sun protection by a large margin. SPF 15 is perfect if applied in large quantities (as all SPF is meant to be applied), but if you don't want to apply it in large quantities, SPF 30 will do as well.

Supposedly to get optimal sun protection you're supposed to apply it 15 to 30 minutes before sun exposure, then again 15-30 minutes after beginning sun exposure, then every 2 hours for continous protection.

What I'm trying to say here is you don't need a high SPF sunscreen. Any SPF will do. So focus on what is good for your skin (won't clog pores, etc.) because you don't want your sunscreen to cause acne.

According to WebMD SPF 15 blocks out approx. 94% of UVB rays while SPF 30 blocks out approx. 97% of UVB rays and SPF 45 blocks out 98% of UVB rays.

Basically, higher SPF doesn't mean better sun protection by a large margin. SPF 15 is perfect if applied in large quantities (as all SPF is meant to be applied), but if you don't want to apply it in large quantities, SPF 30 will do as well.

Supposedly to get optimal sun protection you're supposed to apply it 15 to 30 minutes before sun exposure, then again 15-30 minutes after beginning sun exposure, then every 2 hours for continous protection.

What I'm trying to say here is you don't need a high SPF sunscreen. Any SPF will do. So focus on what is good for your skin (won't clog pores, etc.) because you don't want your sunscreen to cause acne.

That was perfect! Thanks so much.

Which sunscreen do you recommend?

I ask this because I am still on one 4 oz. bottle after about 4 months. I have only been putting on sunscreen once a day.

I will not put on a lot more. :) Thanks Cocobo.