Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACN33

22 year old female - Accutane Log

Hi everyone,

After stalking this forum for the past 2 years, I've finally decided to go on Accutane after years of suffering from cystic acne. Before I start logging my "Accutane Days", I would like to introduce myself first.

I first got acne when I was 9 (I hit puberty early, haha). Every since then I've had persistent cystic acne, but it was always one or two at a time. But over time, it scarred my face with a lot of brown marks and ice picks. My parents thought it would go away once I reach adulthood so they never took me to the dermatologist. My acne is hormonal and after confirming that I don't have PCOS (although I exhibit various symptoms of it, but that's another story to tell), I finally decided to let my dermatologist put me on Accutane (Clavaris). He put me on Clavaris 40mg/day after two negative pregnancy tests 30 days apart. I am 5'3'' and weigh 103 lbs (very light weight), but I figured it would get the initial breakout out of the way if I start off with a stronger dose.

Before I start Clavaris, I started Yasmin 1.5 months beforehand. I figured since my acne is hormonal, it might help with some of the initial breakout. Thankfully, I didn't get an initial breakout from Yasmin and my face actually clears up from it. I don't plan on staying on Yasmin for long because I'm afraid of messing up my hormonal imbalance even further, I decided to take Accutane to get rid of my acne problem permanently.

I started Clavaris on September 5th and so far I have NO side effects and no initial breakout. I know that side effects vary for many people and start at different times for different people. So, this is still too soon to tell.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is that I've been a bit depressed lately due to my recent breakup with my boyfriend. I don't know if that along with the drug will contribute to the so-called "depression" side effect of the drug. I'll see how that goes...

Below is my current skincare regimen:

Morning - Alpha Hydrox foaming face wash, Clinique moisture surge

Evening - Alpha Hydrox foaming face wash, Alpha Hydrox 12% glycolic acid (to mitigate potential dry skin caused by Accutane), Clinique moisture surge

I really recommend the Alpha Hydrox foaming face wash. It's gentle on the skin, and it cleans thoroughly. I used to clean my skin with products containing BP and/or Salicylic Acid, but it only irritates the skin. After reading through various online posts that recommend cleaning your skin with a gentle cleanser, I finally decided on this one. I also stopped using the toner. I've read that the toner is not really a necessary step of the skincare routine unless it contains vitamin rich antioxidants or other goodies to help your skin, but I don't find that necessary for my current skin.

Well, thanks for reading this long post. I will keep it updated every 7-10 days. So far, there is nothing going on so I don't think I'll have anything to post if I update this everyday.

Awesome post, goodluck on Accutane. It's a struggle for the first couple of months, but it's all uphill from there! Again, goodluck and keep your chin up. :)

Good luck! Let me know if you need any info! I had a bad breakout around day five and it lasted maybe three days. That was it. It is really odd how so many people react differently to Isotretinoin.

Hey! I have had the same experience in regards to no initial breakout! I'm on Claravis 60mgs a day but I am 5ft 3 and 116lbs so I guess the weight difference. Anyways, having skin that's not perfect is tough, but I really think accutane is the answer. Its helped my skin out sooo much and I'm not even halfway through with it yet. I have redness, scarring, and some ice picks too. It sucks BIG TIME. But hey, you just got to do the best you can to have better skin. Good luck!

:D

DAY 12

So, I ran to the pharmacy today because my lips were drying out. I was applying jojoba oil every night, but I couldn't apply it without a roller while I'm at work, so I went out and got Aquaphor. Aquaphor goes on really smooth and stays there for a really long time unlike jojoba oil, which just absorb into the skin really quickly.

I also got into the habit of applying jojoba oil to my lips occasionally with a Q-tip and exfoliating my lips with the Q-tip and jojoba oil for a minute or so. It really smooths out the skin.

I'm removing the glycolic acid from my skin care routine because it doesn't go well with the jojoba oil . I read that the jojoba oil should prevent dryness of the skin if I apply it every night. So far so good though.

A large bump has been developing on the left side of my chin for the last week or so. I thought it was going to go away this week, but it appears that it's here to stay, but it's not inflamed and barely noticeable at this point. I hope it doesn't develop into a cyst. My dermatologist told me that he could give me same day appointments for quick cortizone injections if I ever needed it, so I'm not too worry about it.

So far, no noticeable side effects except for the dry lips and the two tiny dry patches on the side of my lips, but I'm always a little dry on those two ends. Overall, my skin is dryer than usual. I have REALLY, REALLY oily skin. I usually need to use 2 clean & clean oil absorbing sheets 4 hours after my morning makeup application. But now, I only need to use 1/2 of the sheet to absorb all of the excess facial oil. I guess Clavaris is working :-)

I'm also feeling better about my recent breakup with my boyfriend, so no depression so far :-)

***WEEK 3***

I have some breakouts on my chin, but they are not inflamed. They're just large bumps underneath my skin, which could be easily covered by makeup. I'm going to see the dermatologist next week to get my next prescription of CLAVARIS, so hopefully he'll be able to give me a shot if the bumps do get inflamed.

As for the dry skin, Aquaphor and jojoba oil are keeping it at bay, but I still see some dryness on my face. Makeup doesn't apply as well and I can't put too much powder on or it will accentuate the flaky skin. I'm still using Clinique Even Better Makeup Foundation, which is working out well enough for me.

Otherwise, there are no other side effects. I do have emotional ups and downs, but I doubt it's due to the effect of this drug. I'm still struggling to move on from my recent breakup.

So far, so good...

I'm sorry about your breakup.. stay strong and keep your chin up. I'm nervous about all of the emotional effects claravis may have (I just started yesterday). We just need to try and stay as positive as possible, as difficult as that may be. I'll be following your progress.. good luck! :)

***WEEK 4***

So, I'm still on Claravis 40mg and will be on it for weeks 5-9. My dermatologist will increase the dose from 40mg to 50mg for my third month (I'm very light weight). No major breakouts so far. I had a large cyst a few days ago, but that kind of dry up within a few days. I think the lack of oil prevents acne from developing fully. Usually, cysts start out small, but they eventually develop into large, red, angry spots within a week for me and it takes about 3 weeks to heal fully (without cortizone injection). I have not gone to my dermatologist for an injection yet.

My skin is DRY, DRY, DRY. Even using jojoba oil and clinique moisturizer could not get rid of the flakiness. I'm thinking of getting a moisturizing spray from clinique to constantly moisturize my face throughout the day.

So far, here is my daily regimen:

Morning skincare: Alpha Hydrox foaming face wash with 2 drops of jojoba oil added, clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel with 2 drops of jojoba oil added

Morning makeup: clinique even better makeup, clinique almost powder makeup to set the foundation

Afternoon medication: Yasmin

Evening skincare: Alpha Hydrox foaming face wash with 2 drops of jojoba oil added, clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel with 2 drops of jojoba oil added

Before bed: Claravis 40mg

Good thing it's almost winter. My legs are usually very dry during winter months, even more so with Accutane. But, I'm not really doing anything right now because it's not itching or flaking, although it's still very dry looking. I'm not going to start wearing a skirt/dress until next spring, so whatever

:-)

hey there lady! You do know the clinique gel is the form of moisturizer for oily/combo skin right? It helps mattify your skin so that could be a problem since your so dry!

I'm going to try to use the clinique lotion and see if there's a difference. I know everyone recommends cetaphil, but it seems too greasy/sticky to me. Plus, I'm adding jojoba oil to the lotion, so it should achieve the same purpose as cetaphil without being greasy.

There are now holes on my nose after the blackheads fall out. Do they get "refilled" with gunk or do they slowly close up? I was hoping after the blackheads get pushed out, they would somehow close tighter and it wouldn't be as noticeable anymore. I really hope they don't get filled up again. I've always hated my nose because it has so many blackheads on it.

Hi :) First time I've seen your log, just catching up on the progress.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pores. I've had them before when they've opened up and the blackheads have been forced out. They do close eventually. I kind of got used to my nose in the end. The blackheads are always there so it's just part of the overall picture I guess. Sometimes manage to get the worst ones out without damage, but it's usually better to let things happen naturally. With the Accutane, it may well speed that process up for you. Could mean that there will be a period when your nose doesn't look so good as it forces them out, but they calm down in the end. That's the main thing; battling through it and focusing on achieving the end result.

:)

***WEEK 5***

Nothing much happened. There was a cyst that was kinda there on my chin for a few days but went away really quick. My skin is still a little bit dry, but I'm starting to use the Origins Drink It Up Intensive Overnight Mask. It seems to work. I don't get dry patches the day after applying the mask. I think I'll apply the mask once every 2-3 days from now on.

Overall, my chin is kind of bumpy. It's probably clogged with gunk that's trying to push itself out, but it's not inflamed so I can just cover it with makeup. So far so good. I hope once my dose increases, there won't be any other side effects showing up. But so far, I think my body's taking it pretty well (cross fingers).

Quick update: my face has gotten less dry lately. I don't think it's because of my skin regimen. My skin has been dry every minute of every day after I started Accutane. But lately, I've noticed that some of the oiliness has come back, but less than before. Actually, I think it's the ideal level of oiliness for me because while I can see some shine on my face, it looks kind of glowing instead of slick and oily. I don't know, has my body been so accustomed to Accutane that the side effects no longer show?

Anyone have similar experiences with the oiliness gradually coming back while on Accutane?

Ahhhh!!! I have a large zit (highly inflamed) right on the side of my nose. I soooo want to pop it. Resist, resist!!!

Could this be related to my face getting more oily? I've never had an inflamed zit since I started Accutane.