Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KS929

Benzoyl Peroxide Cause Whiteheads to Appear?

I started using PanOxyl 10% three days ago along with a BP Gel also 10%…

On the first two nights, nothing really happened… On the third night, a whole bunch of small whiteheads popped out OVERNIGHT!

I got annoyed when I found these in the morning and I really wanted to pop them!

So here's my question, is there supposed to be a "pre-breakout" before I see the results? Are these whiteheads supposed to be popping out right now? Should I be worried? Or maybe I should wait for a couple of weeks?

Please help!…

TIA!

A lot of people purge when they start using BP. Keep in mind, though, than 10% BP is way too harsh, and may actually irritate skin, which can lead to breakouts.

Your best bet would be to find yourself a 2.5% (or 5% at the very highest) BP.

A lot of people purge when they start using BP. Keep in mind, though, than 10% BP is way too harsh, and may actually irritate skin, which can lead to breakouts.

Your best bet would be to find yourself a 2.5% (or 5% at the very highest) BP.

How do I know if my skin is irritated?... Nothing's really happened yet except for the break out and tgat my skin is really dry... There is some redness, but it's probably due to the sun... I need to make a better effort to keep away from it.. There's also no itchy sensation, but tightness...

Edited by KS929

If your skin is feeling tight, itchy, super dry, or is getting red, it's probably irritated.

Some irritation is normal and to be expected with using BP. 2.5% BP is just as effective as 10% against acne, but it's been proven to be much less drying and irritating. With 2.5% BP, most people still experience dryness (sometimes severe) and pink/red skin early on, but 10% BP is so much more drying and irritating, and is simply too harsh for delicate facial skin.

If your skin is feeling tight, itchy, super dry, or is getting red, it's probably irritated.

Some irritation is normal and to be expected with using BP. 2.5% BP is just as effective as 10% against acne, but it's been proven to be much less drying and irritating. With 2.5% BP, most people still experience dryness (sometimes severe) and pink/red skin early on, but 10% BP is so much more drying and irritating, and is simply too harsh for delicate facial skin.

Uhmm… The tightness is just about the same as when I've been using CLENZIderm, except it never goes away… Redness is just some, but it subsides… I'm guessing mine is just the usual?

I'm going to try at least until Sunday and see if it's getting worse… I might opt for a weaker concentration for the gel.

Can I please ask what you would recommend for a 2.5%-5% BP Gel? I can't seem to find any in the local drugstores…

TIA!

Well, be careful. The dryness and irritation isn't always apparent at first, but it kind of sneaks up on you.

I've seen plenty of posts from people starting too fast or using 10% BP that think they're doing fine, then all of a sudden, they're super red, super dry, and insanely uncomfortable, and they have to stop treatment entirely to let their skin recover before they can start all over again, with less BP or a lower concentration.

There actually aren't very many 2.5% or 5% BP gels available OTC. Dan's BP is 2.5% gel, and it's available in a large container, which is great, but it's only available online. If you can't get Dan's, I'd recommend finding yourself some Neutrogena On The Spot, which is also 2.5%, but it's a cream.

Well, be careful. The dryness and irritation isn't always apparent at first, but it kind of sneaks up on you.

I've seen plenty of posts from people starting too fast or using 10% BP that think they're doing fine, then all of a sudden, they're super red, super dry, and insanely uncomfortable, and they have to stop treatment entirely to let their skin recover before they can start all over again, with less BP or a lower concentration.

There actually aren't very many 2.5% or 5% BP gels available OTC. Dan's BP is 2.5% gel, and it's available in a large container, which is great, but it's only available online. If you can't get Dan's, I'd recommend finding yourself some Neutrogena On The Spot, which is also 2.5%, but it's a cream.

Where can I buy Dan's BP?

TIA!

Go up to the very top of this page and click the 'Store' tab. ; )

lol I found that a few minutes after I asked :3 thanks!

Any time. : )

Wait… I don't have to use the Regimen to use this Benzoyl Peroxide, right? I mean, I can use whatever cleanser and moisturizer I want?

Any time. : )

Wait I don't have to use the Regimen to use this Benzoyl Peroxide, right? I mean, I can use whatever cleanser and moisturizer I want?

Yep. I started The Regimen years ago, using all store bought products--Dove Beauty Bar as my cleanser, Neutrogena On The Spot as my BP, and first a Clean & Clear moisturizer, and then later Cetaphil--and it still worked great.

I still use the Dove and Cetaphil, but I switched over to Acne.org BP a long time ago, because it's way more cost effective and the quality is AMAZING.