Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bumblebee12345

Antibiotics caused my acne

I have a question.

A couple years ago I got a severe stomach infection and was hospitalized and put on an IV of very strong antibiotics. The next week I broke out in huge painful cystic acne on my cheeks. They left large red spots and scars that took a long time to heal. Before this I only suffered from minor pimples, and my skin was perfect before the antibiotic.

Eventually I went on the pill and it cleared up some of the cysts. I do not currently take contraceptives.

I now use Acne.org cleanser and prescription Retin-A every other night, as well as undergone laser treatment for the red scars. I still have cysts and lots of red marks on my face from healing and budding zits. It gets especially bad the week before menstruation.

Could the antibiotic have caused all of this? and if its the case, could taking strong probiotics help balance it and cure my acne?

The probiotics will help, but there could be other reasons for your acne or more to do to recover.

Other changes that may have occurred possibly as a result of your illness. But also likely would be new food intolerances from the destruction of the beneficial flora as well as stress/anxiety both of which can harm your digestive system.