Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i just can't stop crying about how my skin is, I was looking over old photos and my skin was so nice two years ago and it's deteriorated so much. i just feel like I don't know what I've done to deserve this - what any of us have, actually, and I just can't get over how unfair it is, not just for me but for everyone who suffers with skin problems.

I know I could have it a lot worse, but I just feel like I'm trying so hard and there's no improvement. I don't eat or drink anything 'bad', I'm on month 5 of Dianette birth control and my skin's still bad. I've had the most horrible stubborn breakout on my chin that's been there for months and won't go away.

I start university next week and just don't want to go, I can't face meeting new people feeling this low. I don't know what else to do anymore, all I want is healthy, normal skin. I'm paranoid about anything aggravating my skin to the point where it affects my diet and pretty much everything in my lifestyle. and I'm only 18, all my friends are out drinking every weekend, eating takeaways, being carefree and I just can't get past how I look.

I just needed to vent. I keep hoping and just praying that my spots will fade or get better soon but I don't know if or when it's going to happen.

Try and give yourself a break. Thinking that way and responding to your skin in that way is no good for your mental well-being. You certainly shouldn't let it put you off going to university. There is so much more to each and every person than what their skin is like, and a good education and resulting prospects would become a big part of who you are and influence the paths you take in life. In the grand scheme of things, that means so more than what your skin is like. Easier said than done and I would be lying if I said I'd never denied myself opportunities because of my skin problems, but you have to go ahead and make the most of things.

As far as practical steps for your skin are concerned, I guess that you could expect to have seen results by month five, although I have no knowledge of birth control specifically. It may be worth going back to your doctor/dermatologist and reviewing the situation, see what your other options might be. Don't give up though because there are always options. It can be a long game, takes time and patience, can be trial and error when it comes to finding what works best for you. The way to look at it is to think that for everything you try which doesn't quite work, it brings you a step closer to finding the thing which will work. Might be worth having a look at the 'Hormonal Treatments' section and reading about other peoples experiences with Dianette, see if it gives you an idea of how their treatment played out. It's important to remember that each case is different so the experiences of one person might not be the experiences of another, but you'd still find support and knowledge through experience there.

Good luck! :)

Try and give yourself a break. Thinking that way and responding to your skin in that way is no good for your mental well-being. You certainly shouldn't let it put you off going to university. There is so much more to each and every person than what their skin is like, and a good education and resulting prospects would become a big part of who you are and influence the paths you take in life. In the grand scheme of things, that means so more than what your skin is like. Easier said than done and I would be lying if I said I'd never denied myself opportunities because of my skin problems, but you have to go ahead and make the most of things.

As far as practical steps for your skin are concerned, I guess that you could expect to have seen results by month five, although I have no knowledge of birth control specifically. It may be worth going back to your doctor/dermatologist and reviewing the situation, see what your other options might be. Don't give up though because there are always options. It can be a long game, takes time and patience, can be trial and error when it comes to finding what works best for you. The way to look at it is to think that for everything you try which doesn't quite work, it brings you a step closer to finding the thing which will work. Might be worth having a look at the 'Hormonal Treatments' section and reading about other peoples experiences with Dianette, see if it gives you an idea of how their treatment played out. It's important to remember that each case is different so the experiences of one person might not be the experiences of another, but you'd still find support and knowledge through experience there.

Good luck! :)

first of all thanks for replying..I know that it shouldn't hold me back, on one level I know it doesn't matter what my skin's like and it shouldn't affect who I am or my confidence, and I shouldn't care about appearance so much, but obviously it is easier said than done and on a shallower level it seems like it's the main struggle in my life and attaining healthy skin is the thing that matters most.

I have posted in the hormonal forum and saw my doctor last week, it can take longer to see results, a few people have said it took 6-8 months so I'm still willing to see if it can work for a few more months.

it's just I'd really had my heart set on being clear for when I started uni. I'm like a different person when my skin's nice (which hasn't been for a while unfortunately). it's just hard to deal with when you only want something so simple and can't understand why when you're doing everything right it won't get better. every day it's the same, I just wake up and immediately check the mirror and there's never any improvement despite the many things I've tried.

I know I'm moaning, and I know everyone else on here is going through the same thing or something similar. I just feel like I can't cope with it anymore. I can't look people in the eye when I talk to them or hold my head up because I just hate how I look, and this is making me more nervous for meeting new people next week.

It's perfectly natural to be down about it, to want to let it out, and to wish you could look exactly as you'd like. Maybe you can't get there right now, but you can get there eventually.

It's also natural to be nervous in a new situation and with new people, but I've learnt from experience that how we perceive ourselves is not the way others perceive us. In most cases, we're way off the mark and where acne is concerned, it always looks worse to us than it does to others. If you carry yourself well and appear confident, throw yourself into the new situation and set out to achieve your aims from the start, that is what people will notice about you.

Welcome to the club. lol. But seriously, I know what you mean. Just looking at my picture on here just makes me depressed in itself. Just looking at that picture from when I was 15 to what my face looks like now (at 18), it's really quite pathetic.