Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xReactionz

How do I avoid getting irritated to Benzoyl Peroxide?

I was on wikipedia and it showed a girls face with "Skin irritation due to benzoyl peroxide"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...operoxideRx.JPG

I bought Dans regimen and I don't want to be looking like that! If I follow it right will I end up looking like that anyway? That can't be good

I also noticed your clothes can be stained by it and I've noticed that in the past...... any tips to avoid that?

Edited by xReactionz

Apply moisturizer even if you can't stand to do it because it makes your skin feel even worse. It WILL pay off in the long run trust me. I have 5% BP prescribed to me and at first I wanted my face to dry out because I thought that would dry out my acne and it would go away. Boy was I wrong, it caused even more irritation and my face was red all the time. I took a leap against my will and started applying moisturizer after washing and applying topicals. The difference was night and day. Sure the first few times I was skeptical because of the way it made my skin feel but I am glad I did it now. As far as staining clothes the only way to prevent it is to not let your face touch your clothes. Your pillow cases and sheets will get bleached as well so I suggest getting white sheets if you don't want to ruin the ones you have now.

I found it helped to start off by applying only a small amount and increase the amount gradually as your skin builds up tolerance. It's tempting just to slather it on the first day but if you do that you're going to wake up looking and feeling like you're sunburnt. And MOISTURIZE! That is the only way to reduce the irritation. One night I thought I would be smart and not put moisturiser on so the BP would work better, but the next morning I woke up and my skin was red and burning. It lasted like that for days. Needless to say, I learnt my lesson.

As for bleaching - I didn't have any trouble with bleaching clothes but I suppose you just have to make sure you avoid your face making contact with your clothes. Wash your hands thoroughly after applying the BP.

I was on wikipedia and it showed a girls face with "Skin irritation due to benzoyl peroxide"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...operoxideRx.JPG

I bought Dans regimen and I don't want to be looking like that! If I follow it right will I end up looking like that anyway? That can't be good

I also noticed your clothes can be stained by it and I've noticed that in the past...... any tips to avoid that?

Just wanted to point out that that girl is allergic to BP, that's not regular irritation.