Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Portis

Longevitiy of Adult Acne

Have you ever known anyone that overcame adult acne? Not by a change in lifestyle, diet, topical cream, or pill, but it just faded away by it self? It was just their time, the genetic clock struck twelve and away it went like how so many teenagers "grow" out of it during their their adolescent years?

I personally never heard of such a case about anyone.

Edited by Portis

Tough question! Do you mean when someone gets acne in their '20's, '30's, or beyond? Are you talking about someone like myself, that gets it when their 13, and seems to never go away? I've been hoping every year that it will go away with age! FWIW, I've taken the following steps:

#1 - Diet, no dairy, no gluten, no sugar, blah, blah, blah

#2 - Elimination of antiperspirants, and all aluminum products

#3 - Addition of probiotics

#4 - No products w/ fragrance, dye, SLS, blah, blah, blah

#5 - Using AcZone topical

#6 - Maybe just age, I turned 43 on September 1st :think:

In my teens, I was always told it was something I'd grow out of. Everyone around me said it, my doctor said it. Then as I got older, and especially when I reached 25, I was still hearing the same things. I didn't buy what my doctor was saying so I saw another one. That doctor said, "You're not dealing with teenage acne anymore, this isn't hormonal, you might have a degree of acne for a very large portion of your adult life." So I was sat there thinking, 'What the hell? Why didn't any of you say this sooner? Surely you could have considered that and altered my treatment accordingly?'

I do not know of anyone who has grown out of it, in the sense that it just faded away with time. Teenagers, yes. Adults, no. I used to work with a lady who I guess is now about 53 and she's had acne since she was 14. Now, my skin isn't so bad these days at all and in terms of severity, it's starting to calm down. But, there's always an uncertainty and a chance that a breakout is around the corner, and things like late nights or drinking on social occasions always results in pimples. Granted, I'm talking just the odd one or two, but it happens like clockwork all the same. Doesn't happen to anyone else around me so there's obviously something not quite right, and the thought of having to put up with that for many years and never being totally sure of how my skin will respond to things genuinely does upset me because I'm just fed up of it being an issue.

I don't think so. I think people experiment and manage to control it to an extent. If you're predisposed and have **insert trigger here** it just keeps on.

Genetics.

For me, I said screw genetics, give me accutane, lol.

Edit - btw, I'm 29. Sudden onset adult acne at 28.

Edited by Crystal841

I don't think so. I think people experiment and manage to control it to an extent. If you're predisposed and have **insert trigger here** it just keeps on.

Genetics.

For me, I said screw genetics, give me accutane, lol.

Edit - btw, I'm 29. Sudden onset adult acne at 28.

What if accutance didn't work for you? just asking

From the research I've done, that's quite rare.

I guess I would weigh the risks and emotional toll, and would prob jump to a second course if I don't achieve remission from one course.

I would make sure I'd hit the rec cum dose again, and go from there.

Lots of ppl achieve complete remission from a second course if they do not clear from the first.

Btw, I fully intend to use a maintenance topical once my course is complete.

Some sort of acid (sa or az) that will hopefully keep my now clear pores clear.

im looking into a second course now with a new derm but i just dont think i can handle that first breakout.Im having a really had time dealing with this crap accutane did very little for me on the first course & 5 months later my acne has returned with using topicals

Tough question! Do you mean when someone gets acne in their '20's, '30's, or beyond? Are you talking about someone like myself, that gets it when their 13, and seems to never go away?

I'm not sure. I guess I never really thought there was a difference; I just figured it was two types of acne and that people effected since they were 13 just transitioned into adult acne.

In my teens, I was always told it was something I'd grow out of. Everyone around me said it, my doctor said it. Then as I got older, and especially when I reached 25, I was still hearing the same things. I didn't buy what my doctor was saying so I saw another one. That doctor said, "You're not dealing with teenage acne anymore, this isn't hormonal, you might have a degree of acne for a very large portion of your adult life." So I was sat there thinking, 'What the hell? Why didn't any of you say this sooner? Surely you could have considered that and altered my treatment accordingly?'

I do not know of anyone who has grown out of it, in the sense that it just faded away with time. Teenagers, yes. Adults, no. I used to work with a lady who I guess is now about 53 and she's had acne since she was 14. Now, my skin isn't so bad these days at all and in terms of severity, it's starting to calm down. But, there's always an uncertainty and a chance that a breakout is around the corner, and things like late nights or drinking on social occasions always results in pimples. Granted, I'm talking just the odd one or two, but it happens like clockwork all the same. Doesn't happen to anyone else around me so there's obviously something not quite right, and the thought of having to put up with that for many years and never being totally sure of how my skin will respond to things genuinely does upset me because I'm just fed up of it being an issue.

I know how you feel, it's not a good feeling to think we will have to deal with this for the rest of our lives. My mom actually has a very mild degree of adult acne that she had been receiving treatment for before her health insurance cut her off because apparently people in their 50's don't get acne :rolleyes:

I would say yes and that yes is based on body degeneration, similar to hair loss. Some people just have a natural switch that stops producing oils in the skin (or to a lesser degree) as they age, similar to balding.

My derm says that adults with acne can control it but don't outgrow it like teens do. She sees people in their 80's with acne! This was depressing to hear...since I've been dealing with acne since I was 13 and am now 60. Fortunately I've got my acne mostly under control. I still get a minor flare-up if really stressed but in-between times I'm basically clear. Although this is something new for me --- especially not being on an antibiotic and having mostly clear skin. Wish that adult acne was better understood.

Hard thing is if you've never really had adult acne it's impossible to know how devastating it is to wake up each morning with inflamed blemishes and know that you're going out into a world where most people have clear skin and don't think twice about it. Add to that the rigorous treatment regimes, diets, and attention that must be paid to anything that goes on our sensitive skin and it's amazing we haven't all lost our minds!

Hard thing is if you've never really had adult acne it's impossible to know how devastating it is to wake up each morning with inflamed blemishes and know that you're going out into a world where most people have clear skin and don't think twice about it. Add to that the rigorous treatment regimes, diets, and attention that must be paid to anything that goes on our sensitive skin and it's amazing we haven't all lost our minds!

Edited by onelittleone

My acne comes and goes... I'm talking YEARS in between breakouts. I got my first breakout when I was 17, and I'm 28 now. The last three of so years, apart from this last year where my skin has been crazy, my skin was completely perfect. My skin is pretty all or nothing. Either totally clear, or totally broken out. Urgh.

Although I just go for a series of blu-u light treatments and I think there is a big improvement. We'll see.

Edited by miss a

Even some of my friends don't know how much of a struggle it can be physically and emotionally and they don't really understand that it's pretty impossible to really understand how I feel without experiencing what I have.

I'm only 22, nearly 23, but I'm starting to come to terms with the fact my acne may never go away. I still hold out hope, but I'd rather be prepared now. I just wish that some people my age understood how sensitive of a subject it can be. My biggest two annoyances in life are when people say "spotty teenagers" and "I don't get how people have bad skin".

I also seem to be at this awkward age that is weird for meeting girls because of my acne - I'm too old for most girls to think of it as something normal, and too young for most girls to be sensitive and see me for the person I am rather than the person I look like. It makes me feel quite lonely most of the time.

Edited by Thommoth

Im 42 & dont understand why im still dealing with acne.Every day is a struggle for me both physically & emotionally.No one in my family has acne im the only one i really dont think they understand how it makes me feel.When im broke out i hide from everyone i dont wont to be seen by anyone its a struggle for me to even leave my house.