Notifications
Clear all

What would you say this is? Open pore sebum coagulation?

MemberMember
(@portis)

Posted : 09/13/2011 3:10 am

Sorry no picture, I don't think the definition would even show what I'm talking about.

Basically I have these little white stubs that come out of my pores, mostly the pores on my nose, under my lips, and between my nose and cheeks. I've looked up the garden variety of acne, but never found any real description that fit these. I can easily grab the tip and pull it out of the pore with some tweezers and they don't seem to cause any irritation.

I usually pinch them out of the pores (which has been common practice for me my whole life), but they will always come back. I'm trying to not pinch them out lately, but without my intervention they are becoming more visible. When I get out of the shower and the pores loosen up the stubs are much more viewable, but now that I haven't tend to them they are becoming noticeable at further distances from the mirror at all times of the day.

My assumption is that it is sebum being pushed out of my pores, but that doesn't make sense since it freely comes out of the pore with no blockage. How is it coagulating like this?

Thoughts would be appreciated :)

MemberMember
(@ameriwife)

Posted : 09/13/2011 8:58 pm

I think I know what you're talking about. I have this particularly on my T-zone sometimes. If I don't catch it then it does become blocked and creates a blackhead or clogged pore.

Do you use any moisturizers or cleansers? I recently stopped using all moisturizers, testing to see if silicones (commonly listed as dimethicone) really clog my skin. For a week I haven't used them, and no clogged pores have returned. Except on my lipline, but that's becuase I use chapstick :(

So the area is not inflamed at all? Is is pus that comes out or just like waxy grease?

MemberMember
(@portis)

Posted : 09/15/2011 3:45 am

Nope, not really using any products.

Also, what I was talking about in my OP isn't something I get sometimes, but remains constant.

Do your clogged pores remain in the skin or do you ever see the "dirt" coming out of the pore by it self.

MemberMember
(@vandersluis)

Posted : 09/28/2011 6:19 pm

i have this to i think. when i used BP or salicylic acid it made it worse so i stopped that for about a month now and i notice it getting a little better. but during this month i would wash my face once a day with a neutrogina soap and then put moisterizer on twice a day. and i noticed that it looked better than with using BP and waching my face twice a day with soap. now im deciding to just wash with water and put BP on the big pimples i get. if i remember ill tell you how it goes :)

MemberMember
(@tataieeu)

Posted : 09/30/2011 7:26 am

FINALLY i found other people who have these.

this is what it looks like

there are about 200 of these yellowish oily things on my face hair (not beard)

the oil is hard, it does not go off by simply wiping

i rubbed the skin once pretty hard and i removed about 50 of these oily seeds on the hairs, but my skin was iritated

these oily things appear only on the almost-invisible hairs on my face, only around the nose and beneath the mouth area

so what are they ? how do i fix THESE ? thanks in advance

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 10/01/2011 8:42 pm

TataieEU I have the exact same thiing as you described. I have tons of them and they are mostly in the right corner of my mouth down toward my chin.

I have those fine blondish hairs all over my face and the ones that are more visible, like on the sides of my face, are where I dont get those seed like

hard pieces of sebum. Its on the area under my mouth, along my lip line and in the corners of my mouth that I have to dig out the little seed. Most of the time

they look so close to the surface and look like they would just pop out but they ususally dont. I tend to use my tweezer to lift it up in hopes I will get the entire thing.

They are not visible at all until I flex my mouth at a certain angle and then you can see them all sticking out...Its worse after I was my face, they look like hundreds of them

are hanging out of my pore. I want to attack them all because the only way they will get better is to dig them out so they can go away. Otherwise they stay there lodged in

my skin. What the hell is this type of acne called. Nothing I've tried will soften them up or raise them out. I sometimes think I got it and it looks clear only to have

a big whitehead pus thing by morning. Some one must have any answer...

MemberMember
(@tataieeu)

Posted : 10/02/2011 3:09 am

i think we have these because our skin is oily (mine at least) and there are a number of methods one can stop skin from being so oily, i am about to implement some methods which will help i think. do some searches on oily skin on the net and see what you find, one cause is stress from what i read.

''Nothing I've tried will soften them up or raise them out. ''

what methods have you tried ? i also fix them with the tweezer.

also once you pick them out how quickly do they come back ? mine in about 4 days from what i saw

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 10/02/2011 8:34 pm

it depends on if I get the core of the plug. If I get it all it might not come back for a couple of weeks..Others refill with two days..These are the ones in the chin area. My skin is dry and flakey after I was so I always assumed I'm combo and go for cleansers like CeraVe which are more hydrating. When i use things that lather they rip my face apart..I started on accutane yesterday...first pill at 20mg once a week to stop them...im desperate after two straight yrs of hacking up my face.

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 10/03/2011 3:05 pm

I also have this. It makes my skin look flakey. I have some that are thick and deep that are actually very deep sebum plugs that requires the use of an extractor. It then leaves me with ice picks or enlarged pores.

I have these on my cheeks, nose, and near my lips. A lot of times they come back, some times they dont but will plug back up eventually in a year.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 10/03/2011 4:18 pm

anyone try the OCM method for these...

MemberMember
(@tataieeu)

Posted : 10/04/2011 5:44 am

It then leaves me with ice picks or enlarged pores.

yes these are also on the cheeks near the nose, and if you pick the hair out you get an enlarged pore. when i did that for the first time and saw the hole i left, i felt like crying, id much rather have acne beneath the skin than an open pore like that.. such is life with acne

MemberMember
(@kitaminioncyrus)

Posted : 09/26/2012 11:16 am

I have these too...i also found that using a salycilic cleanser or BP multiplies them....its so confusing sad.png the more i try to treat them the worse they get. I find my skin is best when i use a non stripping cleanser,moisturizer for oily skin and a salycilic acid scrub a few times a week

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 10/19/2012 7:00 am

Im still having this problem three yrs later. I tried the accutane for several months and it seemed to kick up my seborrheic dermatitis so bad that I had to stop, There was a very slight improvment in the plugs but they were still present. It wasnt like I exchanged one for the another,otherwise it would have been worth it. the plugs dont resemble folliculitis because they are not flesh colored or red. They are white bulbs with a center core of sebum that is hardened. Once I dig out the little seed the pore is clear but often it will look I got the contents but within a day or so the white little buldge is there. The tip of my chin get a different kind of plug as does the apples of my cheeks. My pores are tremendous here, almost resembling an orange peel, so the little clogs of solidified sebum are noticeable and can be flicked out with the end of my nail or tip of a tweezer. It is very grainy and rough in texture my skin but once I clear the hard matter it is smooth. These are completley different from the ones wedged in my chin where my pores are smaller. They are deeper under the skin and will not stop. Ive tried many treatments and the only thing that smooths the area is pyrthione zinc which is in Dermadoctors Born To Be Mild cleanser but it is too rough for everyday use and makeup removal. What else is out there for me that I havent tried. Please dont mention diet. Its as clean as a whistle.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 10/19/2012 11:34 pm

Just wondering if Retin-A would help.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/21/2012 9:13 am

I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, this is what I do to get rid of these 'sebum capsules' as I like to call them:

1. First things first, I 'loosen' all this material by massaging my scalp with walnut oil, infused with tea tree, thyme, and lavender oil as well as few drops of pure vitamin E. All the oils I use are either food grade or 100% pure essential oils. Thyme oil is very effective at killing the acne bacteria as well as being an anti-fungal, please refer to this page for more info: http://scienceofacne.com/thyme-essential-oil/

2. Then I lather up with a tar shampoo. I think you can get tar creams, like Carbo-Dome cream, if you live in the US I suggest you look up over the counter tar preparations or ask a pharmacist to give you suggestions when you're there. It's not well understood how tar treats seborrhea, but it works for most people.

3. Deep moisturising treatments also help to temporarily alleviate the symptoms. Raw shea butter and glycerin are great for this purpose, just use them as you would any moisturiser.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 10/23/2012 8:30 pm

yeah I have seb derm on my scalp and eyebrows as well but its just course texture and a bit flakey. No big deal there but my face has rosacea and when youi add the seb derm component it gets tricky. Plus my pores are huge and the dead skin clumps up daily and I have to constantly de-gunk my face every evening. This entails pain stakingly going around my whole face with my tweezers and picking everything out of my pores that has accumlated. I dont even where makeup!!! I cant stand that nothing has worked for me. I dont know what to try to imrove the grainy texture that seb derm has created on my skin. If diet and all the anti fungal treatments and topicals havent worked than what do I do? I wish there was a magic pill for this like accutane

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 11/21/2012 2:48 pm

anyone still having this problem cause I am. Its so sickening all the little white buldges in my chin. The only way to get rid of them is to cut them out or dig them out with my tweezer or a blackhead extractor but they seem to like the area and will fill back up in time. Its the same area re-plugging over and over. I dont get whether i am oily or dry because the sebum is hard and stuck inside and no topicals loosen them so they dont flow out freely. When I attempt to dig them out there is always a little white thread and attached to the bottom of it is like a small little white seed. Once the seed is out then it will be red and close up. Other times I cant get to the core and am not even sure what the core is hair or a plug? I get them in the crease of my chin and when i flex they look so close to the surface (like a normal pus filled whitehead) but are not. They're are always so many of them that sometimes I think its a fungal thing even though i've tried antifungals and many internal antifungals. if anyone has had success with keeping these away or any other treatments laser or otherwise I pay a million dollars.