Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

eating too late at night, and SIBO/dysbiosis/candida

if you eat too late at night, you run the chance that food will sit in your small intestine partially digested, allowing bad bacteria to grow. lately i noticed i had been eating way too late, and remembered this possibility, so i must change my habits.

you may be wondering what this has to do with acne, well there is some good evidence that digestive issues tend to be associated with acne, and Rosacea has been associated with Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, it also has been cleared completly with the eradication of SIBO with certain antibiotics. One study cleared rosacea by eradicating sibo by administering plastic pellets that were meant to increase bowel transit time and sweep out the intestines, which then was able to clear the bacteria, as regularity is a natural way our bodies keep the small intestine clear of the bad bacteria,through constant regular bowel movements and strong peristaltic waves by intestinal muscles.

Intestinal bacteria are being linked to many diseases, i have read a study that diabetes and obesity being cured in lab mice just by giving them tons of antibiotics to kill all intestinal bacteria. intesinal bacteria may play a big role in lots of diseases but i now believe this one factor of not eating late at night, to be the biggest way to avoid bad bacteria growing in your small intestine. there are other variable like minerals that are need for peristaltic muscle function, and fiber which all add to the whole process, but this one rule has to be number one. I would think adding over eating and eating as slow as possible to also be factors to manipulatiing the bacteria in your intestine.these factors all come way before probiotics, or supplementing with fiber, or eating/making/yogurt those are secondary things to do.

some basic data on digestion from my memory-

2 hours for food to empty from stomach completely into the small intestine.

perhaps 4 hours to go through small intestine and into the colon.

so from what i remember you should give at least six hours for your food to be fully digested and reach the colon, then hopefully nothing will be sitting in your small intestine.

here is a quote that it takes 6-8 hours for digestion to be completed, but im going to look for a more credible source, but just for now heres the link -http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestive-system/an00896

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

I find that if I go to bed right after or shortly after I eat I tend to break out more. Once I realized this I would eat no later than 7PM and sleep around 11 to 12.

I find that if I go to bed right after or shortly after I eat I tend to break out more. Once I realized this I would eat no later than 7PM and sleep around 11 to 12.

you will be amazed at this!!!!

Oldest Man Dies at 114: Learn His Secrets To A Long Life

By FYI Health Writer on Apr 15, 2011

from- http://www.fyiliving.com/health-news/oldes...to-a-long-life/

The world’s oldest man, Walter Breuning died today at age 114. The trick to being one of the oldest centenarians on the planet? According to reports Breuning prided himself in eating only two meals a day, he took no medications except for aspirin and most importantly he stayed busy.

This is an excerpt taken from an interview with Breuning published on April 20th 2010 in The Great Falls Tribune for Breunings 113th birthday.

“I think you should push back from the table when you’re still hungry,” Breuning said

At 5 foot 8, (“I shrunk a little,” he admitted) and 125 pounds, Breuning limits himself to a big breakfast and lunch every day and no supper.

“I have weighed the same for about 35 years,” Breuning said. “Well, that’s the way it should be.”

You get in the habit of not eating at night, and you realize how good you feel. If you could just tell people not to eat so darn much.”

He gets up every morning at 6:15 a.m. and has a big breakfast at 7:30. Usually it’s eggs, toast or pancakes.

“I eat a lot of fruit every day,” he added.

“I drink water all the time,” he said, and just a bit of coffee. “I drink a cup and a half of coffee for breakfast and a cup with lunch.”

Breuning recommended people work as long as they can, never retire. He thought you never knew when you might need that money, but maybe it was the act of staying busy that helped Breuning live so long. He spent his entire life working in the railroad and when he retired from there he continued to work until he was 99. Yes, 99. Doing nothing is a romantic notion, but we hope for the sake of your happiness you stay busy. People are happier when they are busy. According to a new study from the Association for Psychological Research, people are uncomfortable with idleness, and prefer to stay busy

“The more you do for others, the better shape you’re in.” is another Breuning life lesson. Indeed, if you want to boost your mood without diet, exercise, or pills? Perhaps, you should consider volunteering. In his article, “It’s Good to Be Good: Science Says It’s So,” Dr Stephen Post sites numerous scientific studies which prove that altruism may be a key component to overall happiness and health.

Breuning also had lots of friends in the nursing home, and he considered them his family. His wife died many years earlier and Breuning never had children. Friends too may help you live a long life. Making a call to an old friend may be the healthiest part of your day today. We know social contact is important to health, but could it add years to our lives? A new study on baboons provides more evidence in support of the link between friendship and long life.

So, lessons to be learned, eat a small sensible diet, stay busy, volunteer, and call a friend. A life like that, indeed, is best enjoyed for as many years possible. Thank you for the advice Walter Breuning.

The world™s oldest man, Walter Breuning died today at age 114. The trick to being one of the oldest centenarians on the planet? According to reports Breuning prided himself in eating only two meals a day, he took no medications except for aspirin and most importantly he stayed busy.

Autonomous, Have you looked into the various methods and many benefits of intermittent fasting? We have a thread here: <a href="http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Intermittent-Fasting-t290146.html" target="_blank">http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Intermitt...ng-t290146.html</a> We really aren't meant to have so much to eat all the time and going a little hungry stimulates all kinds of important metabolic processes.

A common way is to eat all your meals within an 8 hour period so you fast for 16. Or to alternate days of very reduced calorie intake. This is why many people believe you should skip breakfast, but I could never do that. I would much rather skip dinner, eat it early or have something with minimal calories in the evening, like Mr Bruening did. I need my breakfast.

Those 2 methods are what all the studies I've seen were done on. So I don't know how much the benefits are reduced if you eat all your calories in 9 or 10 hours and fast for 14 or 15, or eat most calories in 8 hours and only a very small amount outside that time period.

Also, while you shouldn't eat much before bed, there is some benefit to a little bit of sugar/fructose to help get melatonin into the brain and fuel the liver. As in the Hibernation aka Honey diet. Remember when we had all those people swearing by a teaspoon of honey before bed. Even people who otherwise claimed they broke out from fructose wouldn't eat fruit?

Edited by alternativista

I was told to eat a little bit of food but, more often..and to never eat before bed....so am i wrong?

I thought we were suppost to eat like 6-8 small meals/snacks a day ?

yesterday was my second day of eating all my food during the daytime and no food for the last 8 hours of the day, i ate 1200 total calories yesterday and expected to be tired, but i was actually more alert then usual, like much less brain fog. surprisingly, i had very deep dreams. Perhaps there were some toxin producing bacteria that were being starved? which made not only my thuoghts clearer, but also my dreams? so perhaps better brain function overall?

very interesting, i hope to keep this up for at least one week to see what changes happen. keeping total calories at 1200 for every day, and eating all food within the first 8 hours of the day or even less, limiting 400 calories per meal so as not to over stuff myself at all.

update: i still have the same effects of a deeper sleep, but also noticed improved physical agility/dexterity/accuracy, for example, my handwriting has becoming much clearer, my guitar playing much more complex, or rather when i think of a musical idea when improvised, i can think further ahead before i execute it, or like rather then thinking one idea ahead of what i am playing, it seems i can think three or four ideas ahead, AND be able to play what i had imagined/intended. when days before my hands felt cramped and slow.

Also, my anxiety has been dramatically reduced, leading me to now believe a major role for intestinal bacteria in anxiety disorders, im much calmer now. it is similar to when i eat homemade yogurt and my experiments with high doses of oregeno oil, so i theorize that since similar effects can be associated with these three things, it is highly likely it is due to their strong antibacterial effects, making my argument highly inductive and therefore,more likely to be true. I plan on going back on oregano oil very soon, but i will need money for that.edit: here is some support for my antibacterial/reduced anxiety experiances http://classic.the-scientist.com/news/display/57968/

it just occured to me that the reduction in anxiety i have experianced from reducing calorie and time of meals specifically to affect the intestinal bacteria, could be the basis for the use of fasting in religious practices and the sense of peace and joy and whatever other words they use to describe their experiances, increasing their "connection with god" .

I was told to eat a little bit of food but, more often..and to never eat before bed....so am i wrong?

I thought we were suppost to eat like 6-8 small meals/snacks a day ?

You should not eat much before bed, but it's possible that a small amount of something like a bit of fruit or teaspoon of honey is beneficial 1) to stimulate a little insulin to get melatonin into the brain and 2) to fuel the liver for all it's nighttime activities. There is a whole diet called the hibernation or honey diet based on that as you burn body fat to fuel all those nighttime activities.

And I don't know about 'supposed to eat' 8 small meals. You shouldn't eat too often or you'd always have insulin being released. You should probably eat about every 3-4 hours during the day while active. And because we aren't meant to have so much food all the time, a little fasting or calorie restriction is good for you. A popular, convenient way that has all the benefits of calorie restriction without the unpleasantness is to eat all your calories within an 8-hour period leaving a 16-hour fast. But you don't have to do it everyday, although you might do it daily for a while if you need to improve insulin sensitivity or something like that. Or lose weight. And you don't necessarily have to stick to that 8/16 hour ratio. That's just the ratio used in the studies. Presumably a 9/15 or 10/14 would have reduced benefits (or maybe not) but still be quite good for you. The benefits of an extended daily fast is the reason many people believe in skipping breakfast. But I could not do that.

What I do most days is have most of my calories at breakfast and lunch and minimal calories after that. I tend to have an afternoon snack and depending on how the day goes, I may have a larger afternoon snack/meal around 3 and not eat dinner. Or just not have dinner if I'm not hungry and ate well enough the other meals. Or most often, have a nutrient dense but low-cal soup for dinner.